Does Dynamic Light Scattering Follow the Same Frequency as the Incident Signal?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of x-ray DLS (XPCS) in studying dynamic light scattering experiments. The individual is confused about the change in frequency of the scattered field and how it relates to the incident frequency in a linear system. They also mention using a filter to measure the intensity of the scattered field at different frequencies. The group discusses the concept of linearity and its relationship to frequency change, with one person mentioning that a sine wave injected into a linear system will respond with the same frequency and another mentioning that this is supported by sources.
Ras9
Hi guys, I was studying dynamic light scattering experiment and I had a problem! Here's the thing:
I read that in case of weak coupling between x-rays and matter the whole system behaves as a linear system. I knew that linear systems respond to an input signal with an output that has the same frequency. So I would expect the scattered field to have the same frequency of the incident one, but obviously this doesn't happen (otherwise we would have no inelastic scattering). So? What am I missing?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
X-ray DLS is called XPCS (x-ray photon correlation spectroscopy). The change in frequency is negligible, you can interpret the speckle pattern as elastic snapshot of the system's configuration at that point in time. You take another snapshot later and compare.

http://sector7.xray.aps.anl.gov/~dufresne/UofM/xpcs.html

By doing what you are saying I can get the field's correlation function, am I right? And what about the spectral density? If I use a filter in my experiment and I can measure the intensity of the scattered field at different frequencies. So if the change in frequency is negligible i would get something that looks like a delta, is that so?

I don't see immediately why linearity should exclude frequency change. After all, linearity only means that the intensity of the exiting light is proportional to the intensity of the incoming light.

I don't know exactly if there is a particular proof for that, I just remember it from my classes. But giving a quick look on wikipedia it seems to be truth:
"In simplest terms, if a sine wave is injected into a system at a given frequency, a linear system will respond at that same frequency with a certain magnitude and a certain phase angle relative to the input" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frequency_response)
I will look for other sources!

Related to Does Dynamic Light Scattering Follow the Same Frequency as the Incident Signal?

What is dynamic light scattering?

Dynamic light scattering is a technique used to measure the size distribution of particles in a solution or suspension. It works by analyzing the fluctuations of light scattered by the particles as they move under Brownian motion.

How does dynamic light scattering work?

In dynamic light scattering, a laser beam is directed at the sample and the scattered light is collected and analyzed. The intensity fluctuations of the scattered light are then used to calculate the size of the particles in the sample using the Stokes-Einstein equation.

What can dynamic light scattering be used for?

Dynamic light scattering is commonly used in the fields of biology, chemistry, and material science to measure the size and size distribution of particles. It can also be used to study the aggregation and stability of particles in a solution.

What are some advantages of dynamic light scattering?

One advantage of dynamic light scattering is that it is a non-invasive and non-destructive technique, meaning it does not alter the sample being studied. It is also a relatively fast and simple method for measuring particle size.

Are there any limitations to dynamic light scattering?

Dynamic light scattering may not be suitable for all types of samples, as the particles being studied must be smaller than the wavelength of the laser used. It is also important to have a homogenous sample, as any impurities or aggregates may affect the accuracy of the results.