Does EM Radiation Dissipate at a 1/r^5 Ratio for Circularly Polarized Waves?

In summary, Friis's law states that power in the far field of an antenna decreases as the inverse square of the distance between the antennas. Near field power, however, decreases as powers higher than the inverse square.
counterphit
inverse square vs cube = ?

If the electric field falls off at the inverse square ratio, and magnetic at inverse cube, does EM radiation dissipate at 1/r^5 ratio for circularly polarized waves?

Physics news on Phys.org

No, the inverse cube applies to the magnetic strength of a magnet, not the magnetic field of an EM wave. Remember that an EM wave is a disturbance in the EM field that carries energy, it is not the force from a magnet. The magnetic field of the EM wave really isn't a "field" like you would describe around a magnet, but an oscillating field vector. What I'm getting at is that if you let out a quick "pulse" of light and followed right behind the wavefront you will not feel a force from either the electric or magnetic fields of the EM wave because they are not sources of charge like a particle or magnet is, but a change in the EM field. I hope that makes sense.

Last edited:

Thanks so much for the reply! Let me be more specific. Say I have a sphere, free space capacitance. Radius is .75. Around the equator you have an inductance (disk, close approximation for modeling cube ratio at close distance) periphery 1.5.

Last edited:

Got cut off... Radius 1.5, say the say the wave length is such that the quarter (90 degrees) periphery falls at radius 6. At r=3 both electric at in inverse sqare and magnetic at inverse cube, are equal both in terms of intensity (0.707) in terms of phase relation and square vs cube relationship. I why is it not a 1/r^5 at this point. Near field.

@counterphit
The inverse square law doesn't apply in the near field of a radiating dipole (so what you say is reasonable). In the near field, the magnetic and electric fields have different ratios but settle down to a constant ratio at a distance. Not only do the amplitudes change but also the phases. They are more or less in quadrature right next to the radiator but, once the fields are purely radiative, they are in phase and the ISL kicks in (for the Power flux density).

Menaus said:
What EM field? The EM field emitted by the antenna?

The EM field in space. The change is caused by accelerating charges in an antenna. (Among other ways)

Oh, and light does induce some sort of pressure when it hits objects.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiation_pressure

Of course it does, it carries energy and momentum with it.

counterphit said:
If the electric field falls off at the inverse square ratio, and magnetic at inverse cube, does EM radiation dissipate at 1/r^5 ratio for circularly polarized waves?

I just spotted the bit about Circular Polarisation. What do you think would be so special about CP, compared with plane polarisation?

I knew there was a misunderstanding on this topic because I was on my phone and could not present my case well, let me gather some things and Ill post again a complete answer to what I found for my question.

In this formula, GRX and GTX are the receive and transmit antenna gains (respectively), d is the distance between the antennas, λ is wavelength, and k = 2π/λ is the wave number. The reason for writing Friis’s law in a non-standard way (using wave number) will become clear momentarily. The upshot of Friis’s Law is that the far-field power rolls off as the inverse square of the distance (1/d^2). Near-field links do not obey this relationship. Near field power rolls off as powers higher than inverse square, typically inverse fourth (1/d^4) or higher.

This is one example of what I found. Reprinted From: 2005 Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Washington, DC, USA; Volume 3A, 3-8 July 2005, Pages: 237 - 240.

FAQ: Does EM Radiation Dissipate at a 1/r^5 Ratio for Circularly Polarized Waves?

What is the difference between inverse square and inverse cube?

The inverse square and inverse cube are mathematical relationships that describe the relationship between two quantities. Inverse square is a relationship in which one quantity is inversely proportional to the square of the other quantity. Inverse cube is a relationship in which one quantity is inversely proportional to the cube of the other quantity.

What is the formula for inverse square vs cube?

The formula for inverse square is y = k/x^2, where y is the dependent variable, k is the constant of proportionality, and x is the independent variable. The formula for inverse cube is y = k/x^3, where y is the dependent variable, k is the constant of proportionality, and x is the independent variable.

What are some real-life examples of inverse square vs cube?

Inverse square is often observed in physical phenomena such as gravitational force and light intensity. For example, the force of gravity between two objects is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. Inverse cube can be seen in phenomena such as sound intensity and electric field strength. For instance, the loudness of sound decreases with the cube of the distance from the source.

Which relationship, inverse square or inverse cube, has a faster rate of change?

Inverse cube has a faster rate of change compared to inverse square. This means that a small change in the independent variable will result in a larger change in the dependent variable in inverse cube compared to inverse square. For example, if the distance between two objects is doubled, the force of gravity in inverse square will decrease by a factor of 4, while in inverse cube it will decrease by a factor of 8.

How are inverse square and inverse cube related to each other?

Inverse square and inverse cube are both types of inverse relationships, meaning that one quantity is inversely proportional to a power of the other. However, they differ in the exponent of the power. Inverse square has an exponent of 2, while inverse cube has an exponent of 3. Additionally, inverse cube has a faster rate of change compared to inverse square.