Does every independent set spans the space necessarily form a basis?

In summary: Indeed. So you probably propose some kind of independence in the sense\sum{\alpha_i e_i}=0~\Rightarrow~\alpha_i=0But even then, I see a problem. It's not because an element is in the closure of the span that it can be written as a series of those elements. For example, take\mathcal{C}([0,1])with \|~\|_\infty (yes, I realize that this is not a Hilbert space). Then the set\{1,x,x^2,x^3,...\}is linearly independent and its span is dense (by the We
LikeMath
Hi there!

A Hilbert space E is spanned by a set S if E is generated by the element of S.

It is well known that in the finite dimensional case that
S spans E and S is linearly independent set iff the set S form a basis for E.

The question is that true for the infinite dimensional case? Noting that in this case by span we mean the closure of the span.

Thanks in advance
LikeMath

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "basis" in the infinite-dimensional case??

micromass said:
What do you mean by "basis" in the infinite-dimensional case??

That is every member of E can be written in a uniquely linear combination of vectors from this basis. I wonder if it "basis" has another definition?

LikeMath said:
That is every member of E can be written in a uniquely linear combination of vectors from this basis. I wonder if it "basis" has another definition?

That is commonly called a Hamel basis in infinite dimensional vector spaces.

Something that spans the set and is linearly independent is indeed a Hamel basis.

However, if you change the means of span to mean "the closure of the span", then this is not true anymore. For example, in [itex]\ell^2[/itex], the vectors

[itex](1,0,0,0,...),~(0,1,0,0,...),~(0,0,1,0,...),...[/itex]

are linearly independent and the closure of the span is [itex]\ell^2[/itex]. But it is not a Hamel basis. (however, it is a Schauder basis and an orthonormal basis).

Ah ok, now I understand your point. In my question I mean Schauder basis (not the Hamel basis).

Thank you for drawing my attention to this piont.

Then it's still not true.
For example, take a Hamel basis of [itex]\ell^2[/itex] (this thing exists but is very very large). Then this is linearly independent and the closure of the span is entire [itex]\ell^2[/itex]. But it's not a Schauder basis as some vectors have multiple representations as series of the basis.

micromass said:
Then it's still not true.
For example, take a Hamel basis of [itex]\ell^2[/itex] (this thing exists but is very very large). Then this is linearly independent and the closure of the span is entire [itex]\ell^2[/itex]. But it's not a Schauder basis as some vectors have multiple representations as series of the basis.
Ok, but the basis in your example is linearly independent in the finite sense, is not it?

By the way are you really a high school student?

Thx

LikeMath said:
Ok, but the basis in your example is linearly independent in the finite sense, is not it?

Indeed. So you probably propose some kind of independence in the sense

[tex]\sum{\alpha_i e_i}=0~\Rightarrow~\alpha_i=0[/tex]

But even then, I see a problem. It's not because an element is in the closure of the span that it can be written as a series of those elements. For example, take

[tex]\mathcal{C}([0,1])[/tex]

with [itex]\|~\|_\infty[/itex] (yes, I realize that this is not a Hilbert space). Then the set

[tex]\{1,x,x^2,x^3,...\}[/tex]

is linearly independent and its span is dense (by the Weierstrass approximation theorem). But not every continuous function can be written as [itex]\sum \alpha_nx^n[/itex]. This would imply that all continuous functions are analytic, which is not true.

But then again, this is not a Hilbert space. What could change in a Hilbert space is that you always have an orthonormal basis (which may not be countable). So that might change things.

Related to Does every independent set spans the space necessarily form a basis?

1. What is an independent set?

An independent set in linear algebra is a subset of vectors in a vector space that are not linearly dependent on each other. This means that none of the vectors in the set can be written as a linear combination of the other vectors.

2. What does it mean for an independent set to span a space?

When an independent set spans a space, it means that every vector in the vector space can be written as a linear combination of the vectors in the set. In other words, the set contains enough vectors to "reach" every point in the vector space.

3. What is a basis?

A basis is a set of linearly independent vectors that span a vector space. This means that the basis contains the minimum number of vectors needed to represent all vectors in the space.

4. Does every independent set that spans a space form a basis?

No, not every independent set that spans a space necessarily forms a basis. In order for a set to be a basis, it must not only span the space but also be linearly independent. This means that every vector in the basis must be necessary to represent all vectors in the space.

5. Can an independent set form a basis if it does not span the space?

No, an independent set cannot form a basis if it does not span the space. In order for a set to be a basis, it must span the space and be linearly independent. If the set does not span the space, it means that there are vectors in the space that cannot be represented by the set, so it cannot be a basis.