Does Gravity always move an object down the path with the steepest slope?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of gravity and its effect on objects on a slope. The question is raised about whether the resultant force of gravity always points down the steepest part of the surface. The person has worked out a formula for the work required to push an object up a hemisphere with a constant angle of elevation, but they are unsure if their assumption about gravity's direction is accurate. The conversation also mentions the variable of friction and suggests considering the definition of the normal force.
PeteyCoco
Does gravity always move an object down the path with the steepest slope?

I just finished reading about the vector gradient in calculus and a problem jumped in my head:

"Can I make a formula for the work it takes to push an object from the bottom of a hemisphere to the top along the surface with a constant angle of elevation θ to the xy-plane?"*

I think I worked it out, but I made the assumption the resultant force of gravity always points down the steepest part of the surface. This makes sense to me instinctively since an object is at rest when it's on a flat surface (max slope = 0), but I wanted to know if there was a better way to state this.

I'm having so much fun with these things :-p

*Friction is a variable so no W=mgh

Physics news on Phys.org
If I've understood the question, you are asking..

Does the resultant of gravity and the normal force allways act down the steepest part of the slope.

Perhaps think about the definition of the normal force.

Related to Does Gravity always move an object down the path with the steepest slope?

1. What is the relationship between gravity and the path of an object?

The path of an object is determined by gravity, as it always pulls objects towards the center of the Earth. However, other forces such as air resistance and friction can affect the path of an object.

2. Does gravity always move an object down the path with the steepest slope?

No, gravity does not always move an object down the path with the steepest slope. The path of an object is determined by the combination of all forces acting on it, including gravity and other external forces.

3. Can gravity move an object up a slope?

Yes, gravity can move an object up a slope if the force of gravity is greater than the force of friction acting against it. However, the object will eventually come to a stop and start moving back down the slope due to the force of gravity pulling it down.

4. Is the path of an object affected by the mass of the object?

Yes, the path of an object can be affected by its mass. Heavier objects have a greater gravitational pull and therefore may move differently than lighter objects.

5. Can the path of an object change if the slope changes?

Yes, the path of an object can change if the slope changes. The steeper the slope, the stronger the force of gravity will be, and the faster the object will accelerate down the slope. Changing the slope can also affect the direction and speed of the object's movement.