Does internal potential energy affects temperature?

In summary: But taking the example of a gas, increasing potential energy is due to increase in kinetic energy right?Fifty years ago in high school chemistry class, we did an experiment where...Yes.
tonyjk
Hello
If I take an extreme case, where a body has only an internal potential energy with zero internal kinetic energy, does this body have a temperature? Another question related to it: if two objects A and B having different temperature: A: having only internal potential energy and B having only internal kinetic energy, can heat flow from A to B ?(temperature of A > B).
More general: Can an object at a temperature T1 (having internal kinetic energy and potential energy) have a different temperature T2 but in both case having the same internal kinetic energy and different potential energy?
Thanks

Science news on Phys.org
tonyjk said:
If I take an extreme case, where a body has only an internal potential energy with zero internal kinetic energy, does this body have a temperature?
It can. For instance, if you have an ensemble of spin-1/2 systems in an external magnetic field, you can calculate spin temperature (beased on the ration of spin up and spin down). At the same time, it is hard for me to think of a system at thermodynamic equilibrium where you would have potential energy but no kinetic energy (because of the equipartition theorem, for instance).

tonyjk said:
Another question related to it: if two objects A and B having different temperature: A: having only internal potential energy and B having only internal kinetic energy, can heat flow from A to B ?(temperature of A > B).
If they can exchange energy, energy has to flow from A to B.

tonyjk said:
More general: Can an object at a temperature T1 (having internal kinetic energy and potential energy) have a different temperature T2 but in both case having the same internal kinetic energy and different potential energy?
Not sure I understand your question, but if you compare a solid and a gas, at the same temperature they do not have the same kinetic energy, so they will have different temperatures for the same kinetic energy.

Likes tonyjk
DrClaude said:
Not sure I understand your question, but if you compare a solid and a gas, at the same temperature they do not have the same kinetic energy, so they will have different temperatures for the same kinetic energy.

If we compare two solids A and B ( having the same characteristics i.e same object) , if A is at temperature 1 (T1), having a K.E1 and P.E1. B is at temperature 2 (T2) having a K.E2=K.E1 and P.E2 different to P.E1. This case is possible ?
In general : Does variating internal potential energy affects the temperature if we consider the internal kinetic energy constant?

tonyjk said:
In general : Does variating internal potential energy affects the temperature if we consider the internal kinetic energy constant?
In general yes: if you were somehow to pump in energy only in one kind of degree of freedom, then the system will not be in internal equilibrium anymore, and after equilibrium is reached, you will find that all degrees of freedom have increased energy, and hence the temperature is higher.

Likes tonyjk
DrClaude said:
In general yes: if you were somehow to pump in energy only in one kind of degree of freedom, then the system will not be in internal equilibrium anymore, and after equilibrium is reached, you will find that all degrees of freedom have increased energy, and hence the temperature is higher.
So you mean increasing potential energy will increase kinetic energy right?

tonyjk said:
So you mean increasing potential energy will increase kinetic energy right?
The more I think about it, the less I like this distinction you are making between potential and kinetic energy, which is why a shifted in my previous post to "degrees of freedom." For instance, if you take vibrations of atoms in a crystal, they are a constant interchange of potential and kinetic energy.

For a gas, if you take "kinetic energy" to mean the kinetic energy related to the center-of-mass motion of the gas molecules, then increasing the internal potential energy of the molecules will lead, at equilibrium, to an increase in temperature. But increasing the gravitational potential energy of the gas will not change the temperature.

Likes tonyjk
DrClaude said:
The more I think about it, the less I like this distinction you are making between potential and kinetic energy, which is why a shifted in my previous post to "degrees of freedom." For instance, if you take vibrations of atoms in a crystal, they are a constant interchange of potential and kinetic energy.

For a gas, if you take "kinetic energy" to mean the kinetic energy related to the center-of-mass motion of the gas molecules, then increasing the internal potential energy of the molecules will lead, at equilibrium, to an increase in temperature. But increasing the gravitational potential energy of the gas will not change the temperature.
But taking the example of a gas, increasing potential energy is due to increase in kinetic energy right?

Fifty years ago in high school chemistry class, we did an experiment where we dissolved a compressed spring and an uncompressed spring in acid solutions. All started at the same temperature, but the compressed spring solution had a higher temperature, attributed to the energy (potential) in the compression.

Likes tonyjk

Related to Does internal potential energy affects temperature?

1. How does internal potential energy affect temperature?

Internal potential energy does not directly affect temperature. Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a substance. However, changes in internal potential energy can indirectly impact temperature by affecting the motion and interactions of particles, which in turn can change the overall kinetic energy and therefore the temperature.

2. Can internal potential energy be converted to heat energy?

Yes, internal potential energy can be converted to heat energy. When particles in a substance move or interact, their internal potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy, which is then transferred as heat to the surroundings. This is known as the internal energy of a substance.

3. Does increasing internal potential energy always lead to a rise in temperature?

No, increasing internal potential energy does not always result in a rise in temperature. As mentioned before, changes in internal potential energy can indirectly affect temperature. Other factors such as the substance's specific heat capacity and the amount of heat transfer can also play a role in determining the temperature change.

4. How does the concept of internal potential energy apply to different states of matter?

The concept of internal potential energy applies to all states of matter. In solids, particles vibrate around fixed positions and have a certain amount of internal potential energy. In liquids, particles are more mobile and have a higher amount of internal potential energy. In gases, particles have the most freedom of movement and therefore the highest amount of internal potential energy.

5. Can internal potential energy affect the melting or boiling point of a substance?

Yes, internal potential energy can affect the melting or boiling point of a substance. As the internal potential energy of particles increases, the strength of their intermolecular forces decreases, making it easier for the substance to change state. This is why substances with higher internal potential energy, such as water, have higher melting and boiling points compared to substances with lower internal potential energy, like helium.