Does it make sense scientifically and linguistically?

• Thread starter Grz
  • Start date
In summary, the tent underwent high voltage and current tests. The tent proved to be durable, but sparks were generated when high current was directed at the poles.
Grz
Hello everyone,

I have an unusual request. Since I am not a native speaker of English, would you be willing to check if I didn't write something infinitely stupid? Do you notice anything that sounds strange/out-of-place/not English at all? Any missed articles? I would be really grateful for every comment.HIGH VOLTAGE GENERATOR

The tent underwent high voltage tests with discharges produced by an impulse voltage generator. An electrode imitating a tourist's head had been placed in the tent. The estimated voltage depended on the distance between the tent and the end of the electrode and varied between 400 kv and 1MV.

CURRENT GENERATOR TEST

High current generator was used to check the tent's durability. A series of electrical discharges with different peak current values were directed at the top of the frame of poles.

TESTS RESULTS

Where the pole segments connected to each other scorches could be noticed, which means that those points experienced very high temperatures. That is explained by their relativly high resistance. The stakes, which laid freely on the laboratory floor furing the tests, melted to some extend. Again, it suggests high temperatures generated at those points during discharges. A dramatic temperature increase in the short period of time resulted in sparks, i.e. particles of hot aluminum. The generated peak current was comparable to that occurring in a lightning – statistically, it varies between 30 and 40 kA, though higher values (more than 200 kA ) have been also reported.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Grz said:
CURRENT GENERATOR TEST

High current generator was used to check the tent's durability. A series of electrical discharges with different peak current values were directed at the top of the frame of poles.

Should be "A high current generator..."

I think you did it very well. Scorches is OK, but "some scorching" is the more common way to say it.

Minor corrections in bold, none technical. It was very well expressed.

HIGH VOLTAGE GENERATOR

The tent underwent high voltage tests with discharges produced by an impulse voltage generator. An electrode imitating a tourist's head was placed in the tent. The estimated voltage depended on the distance between the tent and the end of the electrode and was varied between 400 kv and 1MV.

CURRENT GENERATOR TEST

A High current generator was used to check the tent's durability. A series of electrical discharges with different peak current values were directed at the top of the tent poles.

TESTS RESULTS

Where the pole segments connected to each other scorches could be noticed, which means that those points experienced very high temperatures. That is explained by their relatively high resistance. The tent stakes, which laid freely on the laboratory floor during the tests, melted to some extent. Again, it suggests high temperatures generated at those points during the discharges. A dramatic temperature increase in the short period of time resulted in sparks, i.e. particles of hot aluminum. The generated peak current was comparable to that occurring in a lightning strike. Statistically, lightning strikes vary between 30 and 40 kA, though higher values (more than 200 kA ) have been also reported.

Thank you, Dr. Courtney and anorlunda. And special thanks to you, meBigGuy. The fact that complete strangers are eager to help complete strangers never ceases to amaze me.

Likes berkeman and Dr. Courtney

Related to Does it make sense scientifically and linguistically?

1. What does it mean for something to make sense scientifically?

Scientifically, when something "makes sense", it means that it is logical, consistent, and supported by evidence. This means that it follows the laws and principles of science and can be tested and proven.

2. How can we determine if something makes sense linguistically?

Linguistically, something "makes sense" when it is clear, understandable, and coherent. This means that it follows the rules and conventions of language and effectively conveys its intended meaning to the audience.

3. Can something make sense scientifically but not linguistically?

Yes, it is possible for something to make sense scientifically but not linguistically. This can happen when a scientific concept or theory is complex and difficult to explain in everyday language, or when there are language barriers that prevent effective communication.

4. How does the concept of "making sense" play a role in the scientific method?

The concept of "making sense" is essential in the scientific method. In order for a hypothesis or theory to be considered valid, it must make sense scientifically and be supported by evidence. Additionally, clear and effective communication of scientific findings is crucial for the advancement of knowledge in the scientific community.

5. What can be done if something does not make sense scientifically or linguistically?

If something does not make sense scientifically or linguistically, it may need to be further researched, refined, or explained in a different way. It is important to continuously evaluate and improve scientific ideas and communication methods to ensure accuracy and understanding.