Does it suffice to show these relations?

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relations
In summary, to prove $A \cap B=A \text{ iff } A \subset B \text{ iff } A \cup B=B$, it is sufficient to show at least three implications, such as $A \subset B \rightarrow A \cap B=A$, $A \subset B \rightarrow A \cup B=B$, and $A \cup B=B \rightarrow A \cap B=A$. The order in which these implications are shown does not matter, as long as they are all shown.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hi! (Wave)

If I want to prove that $A \cap B=A \text{ iff } A \subset B \text{ iff } A \cup B=B$.
Do I have to prove the following:
$A \cap B=A \rightarrow A \subset B$, $A \subset B \rightarrow A \cap B=A, A \subset B \rightarrow A \cup B=B, A \cup B=B \rightarrow A \subset B $ and $A \cup B=B \rightarrow A \cap B=A$ ? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
To show $P\iff Q\iff R$ it is sufficient to prove, for example, $P\implies Q$, $Q\implies R$ and $R\implies P$. At least three implications are necessary, but they can be chosen in different ways.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
To show $P\iff Q\iff R$ it is sufficient to prove, for example, $P\implies Q$, $Q\implies R$ and $R\implies P$. At least three implications are necessary, but they can be chosen in different ways.

So, don't we have to show, for example, $Q \Rightarrow P$ ? (Thinking)

evinda said:
So, don't we have to show, for example, $Q \Rightarrow P$ ? (Thinking)

If you can show $Q \Rightarrow R$ and $R \Rightarrow P$, that immediately implies $Q \Rightarrow P$; it is unnecessary to show it explicitly.

magneto said:
If you can show $Q \Rightarrow R$ and $R \Rightarrow P$, that immediately implies $Q \Rightarrow P$; it is unnecessary to show it explicitly.

A ok.. But, if I would prove also $Q \Rightarrow P$, would it be wrong? :confused:

evinda said:
A ok.. But, if I would prove also $Q \Rightarrow P$, would it be wrong? :confused:

It is not wrong. You can show the implications in any order: E.g $Q \Rightarrow P \Rightarrow R \Rightarrow Q$, or $R \Rightarrow P \Rightarrow Q \Rightarrow R$.

In fact, you usually want to choose an ordering that makes the proof the simplest if possible.

Related to Does it suffice to show these relations?

1. What does it mean to "suffice" in the context of showing relations?

In this context, "suffice" means to be enough or adequate to demonstrate or prove the relationships between variables or concepts.

2. How can I determine if my data sufficiently shows the desired relations?

You can determine if your data sufficiently shows the desired relations by conducting statistical analysis or using visual aids such as graphs or charts to visually represent the relationships between variables.

3. Is it necessary to show all possible relations between variables, or just the most significant ones?

It depends on the purpose of your research. If you are trying to understand the full picture of the relationships between variables, it may be necessary to show all possible relations. However, if you are only interested in the most significant relationships, it may suffice to only show those.

4. Can I use qualitative data to show relationships, or is quantitative data necessary?

Both qualitative and quantitative data can be used to show relationships, but the type of data you use may depend on the type of relationships you are trying to demonstrate. Qualitative data can provide rich insights into complex relationships, while quantitative data can provide statistical evidence for relationships.

5. How do I know if my sample size is sufficient to show the desired relations?

The sample size needed to sufficiently show relationships can vary depending on the complexity of the relationships and the type of data being used. It is best to consult with a statistician or conduct a power analysis to determine the appropriate sample size for your specific research question.