Does Light in a Box Have Momentum?

In summary, momentum in a box of light is the movement of photons inside a confined space, described by the equation p = h/λ. It helps us understand particle behavior on a quantum level and has practical applications in optics. The size of the box affects momentum through the Heisenberg uncertainty principle and wavelength. Momentum in a box of light can be altered through methods such as changing the box size or interacting with other particles, with implications in quantum computing and telecommunications.
DrPapper

Homework Statement

Question.png

Homework Equations

<S>=c[itex] \epsilon [/itex]E2/2

[itex] \Delta P = A \Delta t <S>/c [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is if we need the "box height"? This is my work which I'm assuming is wrong. :C
New canvas.jpg
If there's another problem like this on here please put a link. I didn't see any, but my search terms may not have been ideal "Pressure of light in a box".

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the momentum of the light? Why did 1400 W m-2 become 1000 W m-2? You didn't say why reflection doesn't change the answer.

Related to Does Light in a Box Have Momentum?

1. What is momentum in a box of light?

Momentum in a box of light refers to the movement or velocity of photons, which are particles of light, inside a confined space such as a box. It is a concept in quantum mechanics that describes the energy and motion of particles.

2. How is momentum in a box of light calculated?

The momentum of photons in a box of light can be calculated using the equation p = h/λ, where p is the momentum, h is Planck's constant, and λ is the wavelength of the photons.

3. What is the significance of momentum in a box of light?

Momentum in a box of light is significant because it helps us understand the behavior of particles on a quantum level. It also has practical applications in fields such as optics, where the momentum of light can be manipulated to create devices such as laser beams.

4. How does the size of the box affect momentum in a box of light?

The size of the box can affect the momentum of light in two ways. Firstly, according to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, the more precisely the position of a particle is known, the less precisely its momentum can be known. Therefore, the smaller the box, the more uncertain the momentum of the photons inside. Secondly, a smaller box means a smaller wavelength for the photons, which in turn affects the momentum calculation.

5. Can momentum in a box of light be altered?

Yes, momentum in a box of light can be altered through various methods such as changing the size or shape of the box, or by interacting with other particles. This is an important aspect of quantum mechanics and has implications in fields such as quantum computing and telecommunications.