Does max deflection occur at max bending moment?

In summary, the maximum deflection of a structure does not always occur at the same location as the maximum bending moment. This is especially true for a simply supported beam with a non-symmetric load distribution. It is important to remember that the deflection is the second derivative of the bending moment, and not necessarily dependent on its maximum value.
ride5150
i thought the maximum deflection of a structure (a beam for example) occurred at the same location of the maximum bending moment. But, doing some homework I am getting contradicting results.

does max deflection ALWAYS occur at the same location of the max bending moment?

thanks for the responses in advance

PS here's some more details if you need them:

using the 4th derivative method for finding deflection/ slope, i found the second derivative (which should be the moment) and found where it is maximum (using a graphing calculator). the question uses variables instead of number, but that shouldn't matter. later on in the solution to the problem, it says that the maximum deflection is at a different place than i calculated for the max bending moment.

?

this makes absolutely no sense to me, unless:

i made a mathematical mistake (unlikely, i checked my work repeatedly)
the location of the max BM is not the same as the location of the max deflection.

ill type up my work if its necessary

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes...

The max deflection does not always occur at the max bending moment. Take a simple cantilever for example, with a load at the free end. The max moment occurs at the fixed end, but the max deflection occurs at the free end where M = 0.

PhanthomJay said:
The max deflection does not always occur at the max bending moment. Take a simple cantilever for example, with a load at the free end. The max moment occurs at the fixed end, but the max deflection occurs at the free end where M = 0.

thank you that makes sense.

but how about a simply supported beam? as in, a hinge at one end, a roller at the other, and a triangular uniform distributed load on top. so the location of maximum bending moment wouldn't be equal to the location of maximum deflection?

i think if the load isn't symmetrically directed at the center of the structure, the locations aren't the same.

ride5150 said:
thank you that makes sense.

but how about a simply supported beam? as in, a hinge at one end, a roller at the other, and a triangular uniform distributed load on top. so the location of maximum bending moment wouldn't be equal to the location of maximum deflection?

i think if the load isn't symmetrically directed at the center of the structure, the locations aren't the same.
That is correct.

PhanthomJay said:
That is correct.

Thank you!

Keep in mind that the deflection is the second derivative of the bending moment (for simple beam theory). This means that the bending moment need not be maximum for maximum deflection.

Related to Does max deflection occur at max bending moment?

1. What is max deflection and max bending moment?

Max deflection refers to the maximum displacement or bending of a structure or material under a load. Max bending moment, on the other hand, is the maximum internal bending force that a structure or material experiences.

2. Does max deflection always occur at max bending moment?

No, max deflection does not always occur at max bending moment. The location of max deflection depends on the shape and distribution of the load, as well as the properties of the structure or material.

3. What factors affect the relationship between max deflection and max bending moment?

The type of load, the shape and size of the structure, and the material properties all play a role in determining the relationship between max deflection and max bending moment. Other factors such as boundary conditions and the presence of supports also affect this relationship.

4. How does the value of max bending moment affect the magnitude of max deflection?

The value of max bending moment directly affects the magnitude of max deflection. A higher max bending moment will result in a larger max deflection, while a lower max bending moment will result in a smaller max deflection.

5. Can max deflection occur at multiple points along the length of a structure?

Yes, max deflection can occur at multiple points along the length of a structure. This is especially true for structures with complex shapes and load distributions. However, there will always be one point along the structure where the max deflection is the greatest.