Does multiplication by an invertible matrix preserve convexity?

In summary, the author is working on a polytope that is defined by half-planes in \Re^N. The polytope can be represented by the intersection points of these half planes, but the vertices are computed expensively. The author wants to find an argument from first principles or a check to perform to see if the vertices will be preserved when transforming the polytope into another dimension. The author finds that a linear map preserves convexity, which solves the problem for them.
sloppyintuit
I am working with polytopes that are defined by half-planes in [itex]\Re^N[/itex]. So they are defined by a number of inequalities (half plane representation), but can also be represented by the intersection points of these half planes (vertex representation). Computing the vertices is expensive, so I prefer to do that only when necessary.

I need to apply a transformation from this space into one of the same dimension. The transformation is just a linear one via matrix multiplication.

The matrix happens to be formed as a product of three non-square matrices. I could provide more detail about this, but in the end, the final matrix used for transportation (the product) is invertible.

The polytope I start with is convex. Is there a straightforward argument that shows this transformation will preserve that convexity? When I imagine a planar example, it seems like the stretching necessary to create concave dimples or change the angle of a corner point would have to be nonlinear. I also can't imagine a composition of shift, scale and rotation operations that would do this.

I would like to find an argument from first principles or a check to perform on the matrices. Any ideas or solutions would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
A convex set is by definition a set ##A## such that for each ##x_1,...,x_n\in A## and for each ##t_1,...,t_n\in [0,1]## with ##t_1 + ... + t_n = 1## we have ##t_1x_1 + ... + t_nx_n \in A##.

So what you are trying to do is to take a convex set ##A## and a linear operator ##L## and seeing whether ##L(A)## is still convex.

So take ##L(x_1),...,L(x_n)\in L(A)## and ##t_1 , ..., t_n\in [0,1]## such that ##t_1 + ... + t_n = 1##. We know by convexity of ##A## that ##t_1 x_1 + ... + t_nx_n\in A##. Since ##L## is linear, it follows that ##t_1L(x_1) + ... + t_nL(x_n) = L(t_1x_1 + ... + t_nx_n) \in L(A)##.

Thus it is indeed true that a linear map preserves convexity.

Likes 1 person
This is excellent. Thanks very much- that solves it for me!

Related to Does multiplication by an invertible matrix preserve convexity?

1. What is an invertible matrix?

An invertible matrix is a square matrix that has a unique inverse matrix, meaning that when multiplied together, they result in the identity matrix. In other words, an invertible matrix is one that can be "undone" with another matrix to get back the original matrix.

2. How does multiplication by an invertible matrix work?

Multiplication by an invertible matrix is similar to regular matrix multiplication, except that the inverse matrix is multiplied on the left or right side of the original matrix. This results in a new matrix that is a combination of the two matrices, but with some changes depending on the values of the inverse matrix.

3. What is convexity?

Convexity is a mathematical concept that describes a set or function that is always "curving up" or "curving down." In other words, a convex set or function always lies above or below the line connecting any two points within the set or function.

4. How does multiplication by an invertible matrix affect convexity?

Multiplication by an invertible matrix preserves convexity, meaning that if a set or function is convex, then after multiplying by an invertible matrix, it will still be convex. This is because the shape and curvature of the set or function remain unchanged, even though the values may be different.

5. Why is it important to know if multiplication by an invertible matrix preserves convexity?

It is important to know if multiplication by an invertible matrix preserves convexity because it allows for more efficient and accurate calculations in mathematical models and algorithms. Convexity is a desirable property in many applications, so being able to preserve it through matrix multiplication is crucial in ensuring the validity and usefulness of the results.