Does muscle have the least protein content?

In summary, the speaker is conducting a physics experiment that is now crossing into biology. They have scanned different tissues and found that the spin spin relaxation time (T2) increases in a specific order: muscle, liver, fat, heart, cartilage, and bone marrow. They are wondering what biological or physical property could account for this order and are considering factors such as protein content, molecular size, and water to fat ratio. The speaker is using pulsed nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy and has found that fat has a shorter T2 due to its efficient energy exchange, while water has a longer T2. They suggest looking at the ratio of water to fat in the tissues to explain the observed pattern.
restfull
I am in the middle of a physics experiment that has recently crossed over into biology...the details are not important, but what i found was that a certain property changed in this order as the following substances were scanned:

1. muscle
2. liver
3. fat
4. heart
5. cartilage
6. bone marrow

is there any biological or physical property (density, protein content, etc??) that would change in that order? e.g. does muscle have the least protein content and bone marrow the most? or vice versa? or is it maybe the size of the molecules that vary in that order?

Biology news on Phys.org
the details are important what are you measuring en what is your sample preparation¿

Its an experiment on pulsed nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy and the factor that increases (roughly linearly for some reason) with muscle, liver...marrow is the spin spin relaxation time T2

so I placed small samples of each type of tissue, scanned them, found an average relaxation time and standard error for each tissue, and plotted them...

now my question is, why does T2 increase in that fashion for the biological samples...what is it about liver for instance that causes a higher T2 than muscle

Fat has a very efficient energy exchange and therefore it has a relatively short T2.
Water is less efficient than fat in the exchange of energy, and therefore it has a long T2 time
So, I would look at ratio of water to fat in these various tissues. I note that your "fatty tissue" has shorter T2 than your bone marrow which should have relatively more water. Just a thought--good luck.

Related to Does muscle have the least protein content?

1. What is the protein content in muscle?

The protein content in muscle varies depending on the type of muscle and the individual's activity level. Generally, muscle tissue is made up of 20-25% protein by weight.

2. Is muscle protein different from other types of protein?

Yes, muscle protein is different from other types of protein found in the body. It is primarily composed of two main types of protein: actin and myosin. These proteins work together to allow muscles to contract and move.

3. How does the protein content in muscle affect strength and exercise?

The protein content in muscle plays a crucial role in strength and exercise. Protein is essential for building and repairing muscle tissue, and a deficiency in protein can lead to muscle weakness and fatigue. Adequate protein intake is necessary for maintaining and increasing muscle mass and strength.

4. Can muscle have too little protein content?

Yes, muscle can have too little protein content. This is known as muscle wasting or atrophy and can occur due to inadequate protein intake, certain medical conditions, or prolonged periods of inactivity. Muscle wasting can lead to weakness, decreased mobility, and other health issues.

5. How can I increase the protein content in my muscles?

To increase the protein content in your muscles, it is important to consume a balanced diet that includes adequate amounts of protein. Some good sources of protein include lean meats, poultry, fish, eggs, dairy products, and plant-based sources like beans, legumes, and nuts. Regular exercise, particularly resistance training, can also help increase muscle protein content.