Does Phase Space Explain Entropy?

In summary, Penrose's explanation of entropy is dense and full of mathematical concepts that are necessary for understanding it.
celal777
I just read Penrose's explanation of entropy in his book "The
Emperor's New Mind". His explanation is completely saturated in an
extended discussion of "phase space" . Is this concept of "phase
space" absolutely necessary in order to explain or understand
entropy ?

Celal

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The short answer to your questions is "No, it it not absolutely necessary!"

I haven't read Penrose's "The Emperor's New Mind" so I don't know exactly what he's doing and why. However, I am looking forward to his new book "The Road to Reality : A Complete Guide to the Laws of the Universe" due out in February.

Last edited:
Tide said:
The short answer to your questions is "No, it it not absolutel necessary!"

I haven't read Penrose's "The Emperor's New Mind" so I don't know exactly what he's doing and why. However, I am looking forward to his new book "The Road to Reality : A Complete Guide to the Laws of the Universe" due out in February.

Depends on how rigurous u want to be.The concept of entropy really belongs to statistical physics,and not to thermodynamics.As each theory is presented 2 distinct (logically equivalent) formulations,i guess it all depends on how rigurous u want to be.If u're one Penrose kind (and i'd like to think of myself being so (theory inclined)),u couldn't conceive the notion of entropy without abstract separable Hilbert spaces and the phase space.

Daniel,

reccomending u read "Emperor's new mind".

EDIT:Sorry for the repetition.I could have found other words,not the same.

dextercioby said:
The concept of entropy really belongs to statistical physics,and not to thermodynamics.

I'm not sure about that. What was the first? Thermodynamics or Statiscal Mechanics? When Clausius formulated the second principle the Entropy function was well defined yet, and it had completeness and a meaning, wasn't it?

I'm confused about that, I'm not stating what I've posted at all. Anybody could clear it up?

Clausius2 said:
I'm not sure about that. What was the first? Thermodynamics or Statiscal Mechanics? When Clausius formulated the second principle the Entropy function was well defined yet, and it had completeness and a meaning, wasn't it?

I'm confused about that, I'm not stating what I've posted at all. Anybody could clear it up?

My friend,history of science is one thing,logical relations among theories in science are another.
There would not have been statistical thermodynamics (thermodynamics of statistical systems) without prior knowledge and notions/concepts form thermodynamics.That's history.Yet,thermodynamics as a whole is a subtheory of statistical mechanics.Every principle of thermodynamics can be thoroughly derived from the laws of classical/quantum SM.That's science.

Proof of my statements can be given if one is considering SM in the microcanonical ensemble and classical thermodynamics of reversible phenomena in the Neogibbsian formulation.
Your postulate of Clausius can be proved via Boltzmann equation.

Daniel.

PS.I loved your exposure on "swirling water while draining".YOU'RE A MASTER.

dextercioby said:
My friend,history of science is one thing,logical relations among theories in science are another.
There would not have been statistical thermodynamics (thermodynamics of statistical systems) without prior knowledge and notions/concepts form thermodynamics.That's history.Yet,thermodynamics as a whole is a subtheory of statistical mechanics.Every principle of thermodynamics can be thoroughly derived from the laws of classical/quantum SM.That's science.

Proof of my statements can be given if one is considering SM in the microcanonical ensemble and classical thermodynamics of reversible phenomena in the Neogibbsian formulation.
Your postulate of Clausius can be proved via Boltzmann equation.

Daniel.

PS.I loved your exposure on "swirling water while draining".YOU'RE A MASTER.

:blushing: :blushing: Thanks Daniel, I love you too :!) :smile: :cool: .

Well, to say the truth I have NO idea about phase space. In fact I only know a bit about Kinetic Theory. Maybe I didn't go to class that day... :biggrin: . I have nothing to say, you know more about this.

FAQ: Does Phase Space Explain Entropy?

1. What is phase space and how does it relate to entropy?

Phase space is a mathematical concept used to describe the state of a physical system. It represents all possible states of a system, including position, momentum, energy, and other relevant variables. Entropy, on the other hand, is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system. In thermodynamics, phase space is used to explain the increase of entropy in a closed system.

2. Can phase space fully explain entropy?

No, phase space alone cannot fully explain entropy. While phase space can help us understand the increase of entropy in a closed system, it does not take into account the specific mechanisms that lead to the increase of entropy, such as energy transfer or chemical reactions. Other theories and concepts, such as the Second Law of Thermodynamics, are needed to fully explain entropy.

3. How does the concept of phase space apply to different types of systems?

The concept of phase space can be applied to a wide range of systems, from simple particles to complex systems like the human brain. It allows us to visualize and understand the behavior and evolution of these systems over time. However, the specific variables and equations used to describe phase space may differ depending on the system being studied.

4. Is the concept of phase space limited to thermodynamics?

No, the concept of phase space can be applied to many different fields of science, including mechanics, astronomy, and even economics. In each of these fields, phase space allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of complex systems.

5. How does phase space relate to the arrow of time?

The arrow of time refers to the direction in which time flows, from past to future. Phase space helps us understand and visualize this direction by showing the evolution of a system over time. In thermodynamics, the increase of entropy is directly related to the arrow of time, as it explains why systems tend to move towards a state of higher disorder in the future.