Does Pulley Mass Affect Rope Tension Symmetry?

In summary, the tension on a rope in a pulley system will be the same on either side if the pulley is massless and frictionless. However, if the pulley has mass, the tension will be different on each side due to the net torque required to accelerate the pulley. Even with slipping, the acceleration of the rope and attached masses will be the same. To accurately describe the system, three equations are needed (one for each object) to solve for acceleration and tension. The pulley system may not be as intuitive or straightforward as initially thought.
iva
Hi there,

If a pulley system made of 2 same mass blocks (on a a table, one hanging), a disk pulley with mass but no friction on the string nor pulley axis, does it mean that the Tension on the rope is the same on either side of the rope? Everywhere I've read implies this, and it makes sense to me because the rope is 1 continuous object and if the pulley is frictionless then surely there is nothing that should make the tension be different on either side of it? But I'm not sure if the mass of the pulley should affect this.

And then what if the pulley was massless, surely in that situation the tension should be the same throughout?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
If the pulley is massless and frictionless, then the tension will be the same throughout the string (treating the string as massless). But if the pulley has mass, then a net torque is required to accelerate it--so the tension will be different on each side of it.

(When we speak of a frictionless pulley we mean no friction on its axis. There must still be static friction of string on pulley, otherwise the pulley will not turn.)

Thanks, but do you still need to consider Torque even if there is no friction on the rope going over the pulley? I'm just thinking that if you have this pulley that just rolls easily (I'm thinknig of some sports equipment where often the rope doesn't go over the pulley because there is dirt on it, but when i rub sillicone over the pulley and clean it it rolls perfectly)

Also if the string doesn't slip on the pulley, doesn't this mean that Linear accel = radius * angular accel, meaning that the acceleration on both sides would have to be the same?

Last edited:
iva said:
Thanks, but do you still need to consider Torque even if there is no friction on the rope going over the pulley?
If you really mean 'no friction on the rope', then the tension will be same on both sides of the pulley. But the pulley will not turn! It's as if it wasn't there. Its mass is irrelevant. This is generally not what is meant by a 'frictionless pulley'.
I'm just thinking that if you have this pulley that just rolls easily (I'm thinknig of some sports equipment where often the rope doesn't go over the pulley because there is dirt on it, but when i rub sillicone over the pulley and clean it it rolls perfectly)
What makes a pulley roll easily is no friction on its axis, not no friction between the rope and the pulley.

Thanks, OK i realize I'm mixing up and confusing friction with slipping ( as I've just learned about the slipping factor that if there is no slipping then linear acceleration is related to angular acceleration by radius * angular acceleration)
So if there is no slipping of the rope on the pulley doesn't the formula

linear acceleration = radius * angular acceleration

then suggest that the acceleration on either side of the pulley will be the same? and if the mass of the 2 blocks are the same then that should give the same tension?

Thanks again :)

iva said:
Thanks, OK i realize I'm mixing up and confusing friction with slipping ( as I've just learned about the slipping factor that if there is no slipping then linear acceleration is related to angular acceleration by radius * angular acceleration)
So if there is no slipping of the rope on the pulley doesn't the formula

linear acceleration = radius * angular acceleration

then suggest that the acceleration on either side of the pulley will be the same?
Even with slipping the acceleration of the rope (and attached masses) would be the same (in magnitude).
and if the mass of the 2 blocks are the same then that should give the same tension?
No. Assuming the pulley has mass, then the tension on each side of the pulley cannot be the same.

So if the acceleration is the same either side, then what this means is that the Tension is a result of the pulley mass PLUS each of the block masses separately?? Sort of like

T1 = (Mass block1 + mass pulley) * linear acceleration and

T2 = (Mass block2 + mass pulley) * linear acceleration ?

This result doesn't make sense though, because if the masses are the same I'm going to end up with the 2 tensions being the same and with the one block hanging from the pulley it can't be

thanks for your patience

Last edited:
iva said:
So if the acceleration is the same either side, then what this means is that the Tension is a result of the pulley mass PLUS each of the block masses separately?? Sort of like

T1 = (Mass block1 + mass pulley) * linear acceleration and

T2 = (Mass block2 + mass pulley) * linear acceleration ?

This result doesn't make sense though, because if the masses are the same I'm going to end up with the 2 tensions being the same and with the one block hanging from the pulley it can't be
Not sure where you got those equations. The angular acceleration of the pulley is governed by:
Net Torque = I*alpha

The net torque will be: (T1 - T2)r

Only the two masses are linearly accelerated. You need three equations--one for each object--to describe things. Then you can solve for the acceleration and the tensions.

Thanks yes i got the rotational equation when i started working this out
but then got confused with the tensions , wanting to make the tension for both sides the same as well as the accelerations, but now it makes sense. The pulley system is not as intuitive or straight forward as I thought it would be

Thanks for helping me with this

Related to Does Pulley Mass Affect Rope Tension Symmetry?

What is a pulley system?

A pulley system is a simple machine that uses a wheel with a grooved rim and a rope or belt to change the direction of a force. It is used to lift or move objects by applying a smaller force over a longer distance.

How does a pulley system work?

A pulley system works by distributing the weight of an object over multiple ropes and pulleys. As the rope is pulled, the weight of the object is transferred to the next pulley, reducing the amount of force needed to lift the object.

What are the different types of pulley systems?

There are three main types of pulley systems: fixed, movable, and compound. A fixed pulley is attached to a stationary object and only changes the direction of the force. A movable pulley is attached to the object being moved and reduces the amount of force needed. A compound pulley combines both fixed and movable pulleys to distribute the weight over even more ropes and pulleys, making it easier to lift heavy objects.

What is the mechanical advantage of a pulley system?

The mechanical advantage of a pulley system is the ratio of the output force to the input force. It is calculated by dividing the weight of the object being lifted by the force needed to lift it. For example, if an object weighs 100 pounds and it takes 50 pounds of force to lift it, the mechanical advantage would be 2. This means that the pulley system reduces the amount of force needed by half.

How does friction affect a pulley system?

Friction can affect the efficiency of a pulley system. The more pulleys and ropes used, the more friction is created, which can decrease the mechanical advantage. This is why compound pulley systems are more efficient than simple pulley systems with fewer ropes and pulleys. Lubricating the pulleys and ropes can also help reduce friction and improve the efficiency of the pulley system.