Does Spacelike Worldlines Exist?

• I
  • Thread starter kent davidge
  • Start date
So, in summary, when referring to spacelike trajectories, it would be more accurate to use the term "curve" instead of "worldline".
kent davidge
I'm writing some notes and I don't know if the term "worldline" is used only for timelike paths. When referring to spacelike trajectories, I have been using the word "curve" so far. Can I use "worldline" too?

Physics news on Phys.org
A worldline is the path followed by something through spacetime. It can therefore be timelike or null. Until we discover tachyons, it can't be spacelike.

Likes cianfa72 and kent davidge
Trajectories you say gives me a false image that particles goes along it. So space like lines, e.g. lines of synchronization, should be called just "lines" with no world-, trajectory or orbit.

Likes kent davidge
kent davidge said:
When referring to spacelike trajectories, I have been using the word "curve" so far. Can I use "worldline" too?
I would continue using curve. Worldline implies that the curve represents the position of some particle or object.

Likes cianfa72, kent davidge and vanhees71

Related to Does Spacelike Worldlines Exist?

1. What are spacelike worldlines?

Spacelike worldlines are paths in spacetime that describe the motion of an object or particle in which the distance between two events increases as time passes. These worldlines are represented by straight lines on a spacetime diagram and are associated with objects moving at speeds greater than the speed of light.

2. How do spacelike worldlines differ from timelike worldlines?

Spacelike worldlines and timelike worldlines differ in the relationship between time and distance. Timelike worldlines describe the motion of an object in which the distance between two events decreases as time passes, while spacelike worldlines describe the motion of an object in which the distance between two events increases as time passes.

3. Do spacelike worldlines exist in our universe?

Yes, spacelike worldlines do exist in our universe. They are associated with objects that are moving at speeds greater than the speed of light, which is not possible for massive objects according to the theory of relativity. However, spacelike worldlines can be observed in the behavior of massless particles, such as photons.

4. What is the significance of spacelike worldlines in physics?

Spacelike worldlines are significant in physics because they are a fundamental concept in the theory of relativity. They help us understand the behavior of objects moving at speeds close to the speed of light, and they also play a role in our understanding of the structure of spacetime.

5. Can an object travel along a spacelike worldline?

No, an object cannot travel along a spacelike worldline. This is because a spacelike worldline represents an object moving at speeds greater than the speed of light, which is not possible for massive objects according to the theory of relativity. However, massless particles, such as photons, can travel along spacelike worldlines.