Does the Bead's Speed Change as It Slides Along a Frictionless Curve?

In summary, the figure shows a bead sliding without friction along a curved wire in a vertical plane. The bead starts from rest at position B and the gravitational field is in the -y direction. Six statements are given to determine if they are true, false, greater than, less than, or equal to. The bead's speed at C is equal to its speed at A, but the velocity is not. The speed at H is greater than the speed at C due to a higher potential energy. The acceleration in the x-direction at H is zero, as the bead changes direction at the bottom of the curve. The acceleration in the y-direction at H is greater than zero, as the bead is gaining speed downwards. The acceleration at C is
member 198005

Homework Statement

The figure below shows a bead sliding without friction along a curved wire in a vertical plane.
IMAGE: http://img545.imageshack.us/i/bead.png/

The bead slides starting from rest at position B on the frictionless wire. The direction of the gravitational field is in the -y direction (toward the bottom of the page).

I then have 6 statements that I have to determine if they are true, false, greater than, less than, or equal to:

1.) The acceleration in the x-direction at H is ... zero.
2.) The speed at C is ... the speed at A.
3.) The acceleration in the y-direction at H is ... zero.
4.) The acceleration at C is zero.
5.) The velocity at A equals the velocity at C.
6.) The speed at H is ... the speed at C.

Homework Equations

change KE + change PE = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel confident for numbers 2, 5, and 6.

2 - Points C and A appear to be at the same height which means their PE is the same which means their KE are the same. Equal To

5 - While the speeds may be the same (for the same reason as 2) the velocity also takes into account the direction, which isn't the same in this case. False

6 - H is lower than C, which means there is a greater amount of potential energy at C. Greater Than

Now for 1, 3, and 4.

1 - It appears to be at the bottom of the curve. As the bead is descending the bead is gaining speed in the x direction, and as the the bead is ascending the bead is losing speed. It has to change signs at some point which means it has to equal zero at the bottom. Equal To

3 - The speed increases rapidly as the bead first falls and then tapers off until the speed downwards is zero. The acceleration must be towards the positive Y direction then? Greater Than

4 - In this case both accelerations (X and Y directions) must be taken into account. I believe the acceleration in the X direction is still zero because of the same line of reasoning as 1. Acceleration in the -Y direction should actually be increasing though. False

Is there anything wrong with my way of thinking? I just don't feel overly confident in my answers.

Thanks a bunch!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
panx said:
The diagram is missing. :( or else I would have tried.
If you want somebody to explain it on a white-board, you can take live online help offered by www.myphysicsbuddy.ca[/URL]. I used the free demo given and they are good at such stuffs.
Let me know if it helps.
Cheers[/QUOTE]
The picture doesn't show up?

[ATTACH=full]140319[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• a4762c91-fd76-4ebf-9df1-18c5c099f4ad.png
    a4762c91-fd76-4ebf-9df1-18c5c099f4ad.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 519
Well I added the link to the picture. Hope that works. Thanks for your offer, but I'm too cheap to pay for help :P (I can see I get one free trial)

Figured it out :approve:

Your reasoning seems sound for the most part. Here are some comments and clarifications:

1) You are correct in that the x-component of acceleration is zero at the bottom of the curve, since the bead is moving with a constant speed horizontally. However, keep in mind that acceleration can also be in the negative direction, so you may want to specify that the acceleration is zero and positive at the bottom. Also, be careful with your terminology - acceleration is not speed, it is the rate of change of velocity with time.

2) Your reasoning is correct, but just to clarify, the speeds at C and A are equal because the bead is sliding along a curved path, which means its speed is constant. The fact that they are at the same height is not necessarily what makes their speeds equal.

3) Your reasoning is correct here as well. Since the bead is sliding along a curved path, it must have a component of acceleration in the y-direction in order to change its direction of motion. This acceleration is towards the positive y-direction at the bottom of the curve, and decreases as the bead moves up the curve until it reaches H, where it becomes zero. So the acceleration in the y-direction at H is greater than zero.

4) Your reasoning is correct - the bead is moving with a constant speed at C, so its acceleration must be zero. However, you may want to specify that this is the x-component of acceleration, since the bead does have a y-component of acceleration due to gravity.

5) Your reasoning is correct - the velocities at A and C are not equal because they have different directions.

6) Your reasoning is correct - the speed at H is less than the speed at C because the bead is moving uphill at H, so it has less kinetic energy (and therefore less speed) than at C where it is moving downhill.

Related to Does the Bead's Speed Change as It Slides Along a Frictionless Curve?

1. What is a bead on a frictionless wire?

A bead on a frictionless wire is a theoretical model used in physics to study the motion and forces of a particle constrained to move along a curved path without any friction or resistance.

2. How does a bead on a frictionless wire move?

A bead on a frictionless wire moves along the wire due to the forces acting on it, such as gravity or tension. It follows the path of the wire and its motion is affected by any changes in the curvature of the wire.

3. What is the significance of studying a bead on a frictionless wire?

Studying a bead on a frictionless wire allows us to better understand the principles of motion, forces, and energy. It also helps in the development of mathematical models and simulations for real-life scenarios, such as the motion of planets around the sun.

4. What are the assumptions made in the bead on a frictionless wire model?

The main assumptions in the model are that there is no friction or resistance acting on the bead, the wire is perfectly smooth and without any bumps or imperfections, and the bead has no rotation or spin.

5. Can the bead on a frictionless wire model be applied to real-life situations?

While the model itself is theoretical, the principles and equations used to study it can be applied to real-life situations with some modifications. For example, a roller coaster can be modeled as a bead on a frictionless track to understand the forces and motion involved.