Does the Compactness Theorem Guarantee a Minimum Model Size for Theorem Truth?

In summary: Keep practicing and you will become more confident in solving these types of problems.In summary, the problem asks us to show that there exists a finite number k such that A is true in all models D of T for which |D| has k or more elements. This can be solved using the Compactness and Completeness Theorems, by breaking down the problem into smaller parts and using the definitions and theorems learned in class.
moo5003

Homework Statement

Problem: 2.6.8 Enderton: A Mathematical Introduction to Logic

Assume that A is true in all infinite models of a theory T. Show that there is a finite number k such that A is true in all models D of T for which |D| has k or more elements.

The Attempt at a Solution

To be honest I'm completley stuck on a solution for this. One of my classmates said that I was supposed to use completness to do the proof though I'm unsure how.

I'm guessing the first step is to show that A is even true under a finite model of T.

Edit:
Compactness Theorem States:

A) If G implies S then for some finite g subset of G we have g implies S.

G a set of formula's and S is a formula.

B) If every finite set of G is satisfiable then G is satisfiable.

Also: A set G of sentences has a model iff every finite subset has a model.

So, the only thing that I can possibly see using for the problem is that G is a set of sentences (Ie: one sentence) and that every finite subset must have a model iff the whole set has a model. Thus I can add on sentences to show there must be a finite model. Though I'm still unsure how that would work out. I'm unsure how I would be able to show that a set of sentances has a finite model if I'm unsure that the sentence alone can have a finite model :*(.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear fellow student,

Thank you for bringing this problem to our attention. I understand that you are stuck on finding a solution for this problem. I would like to offer some suggestions and guidance to help you work through it.

Firstly, let's break down the problem into smaller parts. We are given that A is true in all infinite models of a theory T. This means that for any infinite model, A will be true. Now, we need to show that there exists a finite number k such that A is true in all models D of T for which |D| has k or more elements.

One way to approach this problem is to use the Compactness Theorem, as you have mentioned. The Compactness Theorem states that if a set of sentences has a model, then every finite subset of that set also has a model. In other words, if the whole set is satisfiable, then every finite subset of the set is also satisfiable.

Now, let's apply this to our problem. We know that A is true in all infinite models of T. This means that the set of sentences {A} has a model, since any infinite model of T will satisfy A. By the Compactness Theorem, we can conclude that every finite subset of {A} also has a model. This includes sets of the form {A, B}, {A, B, C}, etc.

Next, we need to use the fact that A is true in all infinite models to show that A is also true in finite models with a certain number of elements. This is where you can use the Completeness Theorem. The Completeness Theorem states that a set of sentences has a model if and only if every finite subset of that set has a model. This means that if A is true in all infinite models, then it must also be true in all finite models with a certain number of elements.

Combining these two theorems, we can conclude that there exists a finite number k such that A is true in all models D of T for which |D| has k or more elements. This is because we know that A is true in all infinite models, and by the Completeness Theorem, it must also be true in all finite models with a certain number of elements, which is k.

I hope this helps in your understanding of the problem. Remember to always break down the problem into smaller parts and use the theorems and definitions that you have

FAQ: Does the Compactness Theorem Guarantee a Minimum Model Size for Theorem Truth?

What is an "infinite model" in mathematics?

An infinite model in mathematics refers to a mathematical structure or system that has an infinite number of elements or objects. This can include infinite sets, infinite graphs, or infinite sequences, among others.

What is the concept of "compactness" in mathematics?

Compactness in mathematics is a property of topological spaces that describes the behavior of open sets within that space. A compact space is one in which every open cover (a collection of open sets that covers the entire space) has a finite subcover (a subset of open sets that still covers the entire space).

How are infinite models and compactness related?

Infinite models and compactness are often used together in mathematics to prove the existence of certain structures or objects. Compactness can be used to show that an infinite model must have certain properties, while an infinite model can also be used to prove the compactness of a space.

What is the Compactness Theorem in mathematical logic?

The Compactness Theorem states that if a set of sentences in a first-order logic language has a model, then it also has a finite model. This means that if a set of sentences is consistent (does not lead to any contradictions), then it can be satisfied by a finite model, even if it may not be satisfied by any individual finite model.

How is the Compactness Theorem used in mathematical proofs?

The Compactness Theorem is often used in mathematical proofs involving infinite models, as it allows for the reduction of an infinite problem to a finite one. This can make complex proofs more manageable and provide a way to prove the existence of objects that may be difficult to construct directly.