Does the Distributive Property Apply to Infinite Terms?

In summary: For example, if you had a list of all the numbers between 0 and 1, and you wanted to construct a number that wasn't on the list, you might try flipping every digit along the diagonal:0.010011...0.101010...0.111111...0.110110...0.001001...0.010000......But then you'd have to worry about numbers like 0.111111... that are also equal to 1. You could get around this by saying that all numbers between 0 and 1 must be written so that they don't have an infinite string of 1's at the end, or by saying that they must have an infinite string of 1's at
LittleWolf
I was thinking about x=0.999.. so 10x=9.999... therefore 10x-x=9 when I asked myself does the distributive property apply to an infinite number of terms since 0.9999...= sum(9/10^(-k), k=1,2...)? Maybe I'm confused about what "=" means.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
you are right. but it needs proof of course.

It is of course wrong to assume the distributive property applies to an infinite number of terms. Once you however learn the maths to prove it, you'll find in fact it does (under more strict cirumstances).

Last edited:
Zurtex said:
It is of course wrong to assume the distributive property applies to an infinite number of terms. Once you however learn the maths to prove it, you'll find in fact it does (under more strict cirumstances).

Actually, the distribution is only necessary across two terms:
[tex]x(9.\bar{9})=x(9+0.\bar{9})=x9+x0.\bar{9}[/tex]

The original question, which I assume is really, "Is it correct distribute across [itex]\sum_{i=1}{\infty}\frac{9}{10^i}[/itex] as if it were a real number." Is still hard to answer well without resorting to higher math.

I'll admit I never was good at proofs but I think the fact that 9/10^k for each integer k is a real number in that sequence mentioned above because it is rational and that the reals are closed under addition would be enough to prove the distributive property can be applied.

this way of evaluating an infinite decimal was shown to us in 8th grade. i never forgot it. so the moral is: this is the reason it is true, and is the easiest way to see it, regardless of how rigorous it is.

I thought this topic was beaten to death.

Twice.

Right?

Night Owl said:
I thought this topic was beaten to death.

Twice.

Right?
This topic has been beaten to death at least a few dozen times on this forum, I remember one thread that went on for over 400 posts.

Horses are directional. You point the legs in the direction you want them to go, and line up twenty pounds of explosives along the spine.

We need a "beating a dead horse icon" in our smilie list.

oH you won't believe just where I've found it :smile:

On catholics forums! :smile:

Here you can either use their link or mine:
deadhorse.gif

http://carboninside.com/deadhorse.gif

Speaking of distributive properties:
1 = 0.999.. can be represented as:

[tex]\begin{document}
$\displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^\infty \frac{9}{10^i}$.
\end{document}

[/tex]

So when you multiply by 10 it makes perfect sense since you can divide or multiply the Sum by any number, therefore both multiplication and division will hold for distributive property

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, I have a new number system. Ok. probably not new.

Anyway, here it goes:

Instead of 1,2,3,4, etc..., it should be .999~, 1.999~, 2.999~, etc..
And .5 should be .4999~

What my theory posits is that any number can not be an absolute quantity, rather that is must be held in an infinite form.

cronxeh said:
oH you won't believe just where I've found it :smile:

On catholics forums! :smile:

Here you can either use their link or mine:
deadhorse.gif

http://carboninside.com/deadhorse.gif

Speaking of distributive properties:
1 = 0.999.. can be represented as:

[tex]\begin{document}
$\displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^\infty \frac{9}{10^i}$.
\end{document}

[/tex]

So when you multiply by 10 it makes perfect sense since you can divide or multiply the Sum by any number, therefore both multiplication and division will hold for distributive property

Well no, though it's often called a 'sum to infinity' and shares some properties of 'finite sums' it clearly doesn't share all properties, for example an infinite sum whose terms are all real numbers does not necessarily have a real number even though the reals form a field. If the sum to infinfity doesn't presevre such fundmanetal properties as closure why should we expect it to preserve distribuitivity? To check whether or not distrbuivty applies we have to examine the defintion of a sum to infinity which is the limit of the sequence of partial sums).

Last edited by a moderator:
pallidin said:
Hey, I have a new number system. Ok. probably not new.

Anyway, here it goes:

Instead of 1,2,3,4, etc..., it should be .999~, 1.999~, 2.999~, etc..
And .5 should be .4999~

What my theory posits is that any number can not be an absolute quantity, rather that is must be held in an infinite form.
All real numbers are represented in infinite form, e.g:

[tex]1 = \ldots 0000000000001.000000000000 \ldots[/tex]

0.5 and 0.49999... are the same number in real numbers so it does't make any difference.

There are times when one prefers to define the decimals in such a way that a decimal cannot end in an infinite string of zeroes. Or, to define it so that a decimal cannot end in an infinite string of nines.

Hurkyl said:
There are times when one prefers to define the decimals in such a way that a decimal cannot end in an infinite string of zeroes. Or, to define it so that a decimal cannot end in an infinite string of nines.
Would that be when one wants to fit it on the page? Or perhaps when one is a silly physicist and can't get their head round the real number line?

I think I've had too much caffeine tonight :!)

Hurkyl said:

Could you elaborate on this please? Under what circumstances would one want to do that either way? And most importantly, what are the consequences of doing it? What's to be gained by prohibiting a number ending in an infinite string of nines, when they have to be allowed to end in an infinite string of threes?

This might relate to a different question I'm struggling with, so additional information might provide the wedge I'm searching for. Thanks.

The fact that some numbers are represented by two different decimal strings can make the minor details of some proofs more difficult. I think one example where it would be an issue is if you were trying to do Cantor's diagonal argument in binary.

Related to Does the Distributive Property Apply to Infinite Terms?

Question 1: What is the Distributive Property?

The Distributive Property is a mathematical rule that states that when multiplying a number by a sum or difference, the result is the same as multiplying each addend or subtrahend by the number and then adding or subtracting the products.

Question 2: Does the Distributive Property only apply to finite terms?

No, the Distributive Property can be applied to an infinite number of terms as long as they follow the same pattern.

Question 3: How do you apply the Distributive Property to infinite terms?

To apply the Distributive Property to infinite terms, you can use the distributive law which states that for any real numbers a, b, and c, (a + b)c = ac + bc. This can be extended to an infinite number of terms by repeating the pattern for each additional term.

Question 4: Is there a limit to the number of terms that can be used with the Distributive Property?

No, there is no limit to the number of terms that can be used with the Distributive Property as long as they follow the same pattern.

Question 5: Why is it important to understand if the Distributive Property applies to infinite terms?

Understanding if the Distributive Property applies to infinite terms is important in order to accurately solve mathematical equations and to expand the concept of the Distributive Property to more complex problems. It is also important in fields such as physics and economics where infinite terms are commonly used in equations.