Does the equation editor in MSWord2007 suck?

• Thread starter pellman
  • Start date
In summary: If you're on a PC, you might also want to try "MathType" which is available as a free download from Microsoft.
pellman
Or do I just need to work at getting used to it?

Is there a third option to using the new editor or using Equation Editor 3.0?

Physics news on Phys.org
It isn't the best, but it is entirely adequate. Yes, it takes some getting used to.

Other options? You might look into 'MathCad', if you need to do lots of reports with embedded equations. MathCad has the advantage of including live links to the mathematical 'guts' of the program inside the report editor, so you can change input values and the report updates all the calculations automatically.

I thought 2007 version looks better than the old one, I like that I can type stuffs like x^2 or a_2 and it will convert it, instead of having to click for the boxes to insert the power and subscript etc. Of course nothing beats good old LaTeX :P

pellman said:
Or do I just need to work at getting used to it?

Is there a third option to using the new editor or using Equation Editor 3.0?

It does take some getting used to, but a couple of disadvantages are that you can't change the font (you're stuck with Cambria Math) and you can't use it anywhere besides Word -- like PowerPoint, etc. It's true that you can copy an equation from Word and paste it into PPT or elsewhere, but it pastes as a crappy-looking low-resolution, uneditable image rather than a nice-looking equation that you can edit if you want.

Other options? There are several, MathType being one. MathType let's you type LaTeX directly into Word, and convert it into a graphical equation with the shortcut Alt+\.

bobm said:
It does take some getting used to, but a couple of disadvantages are that you can't change the font (you're stuck with Cambria Math)

yeah. I can't figure out how to type a greek letter.

2007 supports equation editor 3.0. To get it started you just have to copy an existing equation created with 3.0. I'm just going to live with that until I can't use it anymore.

Thanks for your views.

Actually you can get to Equation Editor 3 by clicking on the Insert tab, then click on Object (it's in the Text group). "Microsoft Equation" is listed there.

Related to Does the equation editor in MSWord2007 suck?

1. Why do people say the equation editor in MSWord2007 sucks?

There are a few reasons why people may have negative opinions about the equation editor in MSWord2007. Some users have reported that it is difficult to use and not very intuitive. Others have complained about limited capabilities, such as not being able to create complex equations or symbols. Additionally, there have been bugs and glitches reported with the equation editor in this version of MSWord.

2. Is the equation editor in MSWord2007 still usable?

Yes, the equation editor in MSWord2007 is still usable. While it may not have all the advanced features and capabilities of newer versions or other software programs, it can still be used to create simple equations and symbols. It may require some extra time and effort to learn and use effectively, but it can still serve its purpose.

3. Can the equation editor in MSWord2007 be improved?

It is possible for the equation editor in MSWord2007 to be improved, but it is unlikely that Microsoft will make any updates or changes to this version since it is an older version of the software. However, there are many other software programs and online tools available that offer more advanced and user-friendly equation editing capabilities.

4. How can I make the equation editor in MSWord2007 easier to use?

One way to make the equation editor in MSWord2007 easier to use is to familiarize yourself with its features and functions. There are also many online tutorials and guides available that can help you learn how to use the equation editor more effectively. Additionally, you can consider using other software programs or tools for creating equations if you find MSWord2007's equation editor too difficult to use.

5. Is it worth upgrading to a newer version of MSWord for better equation editing?

This depends on your personal needs and preferences. If you frequently use the equation editor and need more advanced features and capabilities, then upgrading to a newer version of MSWord or using a different software program may be worth it. However, if you only use the equation editor occasionally and are comfortable with the features in MSWord2007, then sticking with it may be a more cost-effective option.