Does the first Maxwell equation work also for moving charges?

In summary, the first two Maxwell equations deal with static fields and are valid for all cases, while the remaining two are constraints for gauge theory and allow for the introduction of the four-potential. The equations hold for both static and dynamic cases, and the numbering of the equations is arbitrary. Charges can be modeled as points and can contract in the fields they produce.
physics user1
My professor said that the first two maxwell equation's are about static fields

Another fast question:

Do a single charge that is moVing generate a magnetic field?
I saw a demonstration that explains the magnetic field as an electric field using only special relativity, there is a free charge outside a wire, it is moving relative to the wire, there is current in a wire, a current is made with multiple charges and the lorentz contraction due to the relative motion makes the density on charges different, so there is like more electrons than protons according to the free moving charge in a section of the wire...
But how can this demonstration be done if there is no wire but just a single charge moving?
So there is our free charge and another charge moving...
There is magnetic field?
How can you contract a Charge? It's without dimension

Please help me make this clear

Physics news on Phys.org
Cozma Alex said:
My professor said that the first two maxwell equation's are about static fields

Unless I missed the memo there is no standard numbering of Maxwell's equations. Also, the complete equations hold for all cases static and time dependent. So,

##\nabla\cdot D = \rho##​

holds always including the dynamic case.

Cozma Alex said:
How can you contract a Charge? It's without dimension

I gather what you mean by this is charges are modeled as points how can they contract? Well, the fields they produce do in the sense that a field of a stationary charge is a radial directed E-field. This viewed by another in relative motion to the charge is both an E field and a B field.

Likes physics user1
The full microscopic Maxwell equations read
$$\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{E}=\rho, \quad \vec{\nabla} \times \vec{B}-\frac{1}{c} \partial_t \vec{E}=\frac{1}{c} \vec{j}$$
and
$$\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{B}=0, \quad \vec{\nabla} \times \vec{E}+\frac{1}{c} \partial_t \vec{B}=0.$$
These are valid for all cases, no matter whether it's a static, stationary, quasistationary or fully general time-dependent problem. How you number the Maxwell Equations is arbitrary, by the way. I've chosen the above order, because it follows the physical meaning: The first two describe the generation of the electromagnetic field out of the sources, which are charge and current densities. The latter two are constraints ensuring that you have socalled gauge theory, i.e., they admit the introduction of the four-potential up to a four-gradient. One consequence is that from the Maxwell equations alone you can derive charge conservation, i.e.,
$$\partial_t \rho + \vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{j}=0,$$
without the need to use the dynamical equations of matter, which have to be added to Maxwell's equations to make it a complete closed dynamical system.

Likes Dale and physics user1

Related to Does the first Maxwell equation work also for moving charges?

1. What is the first Maxwell equation?

The first Maxwell equation, also known as Gauss's law, states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of free space.

2. Does the first Maxwell equation only apply to stationary charges?

No, the first Maxwell equation is a fundamental law of electromagnetism and applies to all charges, including moving charges.

3. How is the first Maxwell equation modified for moving charges?

The first Maxwell equation is modified to include an additional term for the displacement current, which takes into account the changing electric field produced by moving charges.

4. Can the first Maxwell equation accurately describe the behavior of moving charges?

Yes, the first Maxwell equation has been extensively tested and has been shown to accurately describe the behavior of moving charges in various situations.

5. Are there any limitations to the first Maxwell equation for moving charges?

The first Maxwell equation is a macroscopic equation and may not accurately describe the behavior of charges at a microscopic level. In addition, it does not take into account special or general relativity effects at high speeds.