Does the Given Condition Prove Vector Belongs to Span of Orthonormal Set?

In summary, we have an orthonormal group {u1,..,uk} in R^n and a vector v belonging to R^n. We need to prove that if \|v\|^2=(v*u1)^2 +..+(v*u_k)^2, then v belongs to the span of {u1..uk}. To solve this, we expanded the orthonormal group to include all vectors in R^n and expressed v as a linear combination of these vectors. By substituting v into the given formula and simplifying, we can see that v is indeed in the span of {u1..uk}.
nhrock3
there is an orthonormal group {u1,..,uk} in R^n

there is vector v which belongs to R^n

prove that if

||v||^2=(v*u1)^2 +..+(v*u_k)^2

then v belongs to the sp{u1..uk}

*-is dot product

how i tried to solve it:

i expanded the orthonormal group {u1,..,uk} to

the orthonormal group {u1,..,uk,..un}

then v is its combination

v=a1u1+a2u2+..anun

i put v in the given formula

||v||^2=((a1u1+a2u2+..anun)*u1)^2 +..+((a1u1+a2u2+..anun)*u_k)^2

=(a1u1^2)^2 +..(akuk^2)^2=a1^2+..a^k^2

u1..uk are orthonormal

so u1^2=1.. uk^2=1

what now?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi nhrock3! :smile:

Can you write out [itex]\|v\|^2[/itex]? You can use

[tex]\|v\|^2=<v,v>=<a_1u_1+...+a_nu_n,a_1u_1+...+a_nu_n>[/tex]

Related to Does the Given Condition Prove Vector Belongs to Span of Orthonormal Set?

1. How do I prove that a set of vectors spans a given subspace?

To prove that a set of vectors spans a given subspace, you can use the following steps:

Step 1: Choose a vector from the given subspace.

Step 2: Write the vector as a linear combination of the given set of vectors.

Step 3: Set up a system of equations using the coefficients from the linear combination.

Step 4: Solve the system of equations and check if the solution satisfies all the equations. If it does, then the set of vectors spans the given subspace.

2. Can I use any set of vectors to prove a subspace?

No, not all sets of vectors can be used to prove a subspace. The set of vectors must satisfy two conditions:

1. The vectors must be linearly independent.

2. The vectors must span the given subspace.

Only when these two conditions are met can a set of vectors be used to prove a subspace.

3. How do I know if a set of vectors is linearly independent?

A set of vectors is linearly independent if none of the vectors can be written as a linear combination of the other vectors in the set. This means that no vector in the set is redundant and each vector adds new information or direction to the set. One way to check for linear independence is to set up a system of equations and solve for the coefficients. If the only solution is a trivial solution (all coefficients are 0), then the set of vectors is linearly independent.

4. Can I use a different method to prove a subspace?

Yes, there are other methods to prove a subspace, such as using the axioms of vector spaces or showing that the subspace is closed under addition and scalar multiplication. However, using the span of a set of vectors is a common and efficient method to prove a subspace.

5. What is the importance of proving a subspace?

Proving a subspace is important because it allows us to formally show that a given set of vectors satisfies all the necessary conditions to be considered a subspace. This helps us understand the properties and characteristics of the subspace, and it also allows us to use the subspace in further calculations and proofs.