Does the Inverse Function Matrix Always Have a Non-Zero Determinant?

For (5), you can see that the determinant will always be zero if a=1 and d=1, so A-1 won't exist.In summary, the functions (1) - (5) are given and we are asked to determine if A-1 always exists for each one. After thorough analysis and calculations, it is concluded that A-1 does not exist for functions (1), (2), and (5) due to the determinant being equal to zero. However, for functions (3) and (4), A-1 does exist.
yeongil
A friend of mine is tutoring a student in math, and they came across a problem that she couldn't answer. Here's a problem: both she and the student are Korean, and her English is okay, but not so good when it comes to specific terminology (like math). My Korean is very limited. The problem, if I understand her correctly, is below. Can anyone check my work to see if this is correct?

Homework Statement

Given a function f such that f(a) = b and f-1(c) = d [f inverse of c is d]. Construct a 2x2 matrix A like this:
a b
c d
For each of the following functions, does A-1 always exist?

Homework Equations

(1) y = x + 1
(2) y = log(x)
(3) y = 2x
(4) y = sqrt(x - 1)
(5) y = 1/x

The Attempt at a Solution

Here are the inverses of the functions above:
(1) y = x - 1
(2) y = 10x
(3) y = log2(x)
(4) y = x2 + 1 (for x>=0 only)
(5) y = 1/x

A-1 exists if the determinant is not zero, ie. ad - bc <> 0.
Let's look at cases where ad - bc = 0.
Given the definitions above, are the only ways that the determinant is zero is if
(A) the ordered pairs (a, b) and (c, d) are the same, or
(B) c = ka and d = kb, for some number k?

Case (A): (a, b) = (c, d)
If the ordered pairs are the same, that means f(x) and f-1(x) must intersect at that point, right?
If f(x) and f-1(x) are not the same function, and if they intersect at all, they can only do so at points on the y = x line, correct?

Case (B): (c, d) = (ka, kb)
If c = ka and d = kb, for some number k, is there anything I can generalize here?

For functions (1) - (4), none of them and their inverses intersect (case A), and I can't find an ordered pair in the original functions so that the multiple of their coordinates satisfy the inverses functions (case B). Is it safe to say that so for those, A-1 always exist?

For function (5), f(x) = f-1(x), so any ordered pair in f(x) will also hold true in f-1(x). So for Case A, the determinant is 0, so A-1 won't exist. I can find plenty of pairs of points that would satisfy case B [like (2, 1/2) and (4, 1/4)], making the determinant 0, which means that A-1 won't exist.

So function (5) is the only one that doesn't work. Am I right? Is there anything that I'm missing? Has anyone seen a problem like this? TIA for checking.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

yeongil said:
Given a function f such that f(a) = b and f-1(c) = d [f inverse of c is d]. Construct a 2x2 matrix A like this:
a b
c d
For each of the following functions, does A-1 always exist?

Homework Equations

(1) y = x + 1
(2) y = log(x)
(3) y = 2x
(4) y = sqrt(x - 1)
(5) y = 1/x

Hi yeongil! Welcome to PF! :smile:

I've only looked at (1) y = x + 1, and I've noticed that:

a a+1
-a -a-1

has determinant zero, and no inverse.

Does that help you with the others? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi yeongil! Welcome to PF! :smile:

I've only looked at (1) y = x + 1, and I've noticed that:

a a+1
-a -a-1

has determinant zero, and no inverse.

Does that help you with the others? :smile:
Thanks for the welcome.

After looking over (2) - (4), I've noticed a few more things.

ad - bc = 0 -> ad = bc -> a/b = c/d [provided that b <> 0 and d <> 0]

(2) f(a) = b = log(a)
f-1(c) = d = 10c
a/b = c/d
a/log(a) = c/10c

I was able to find values for a and c that would make the proportion true, using a calculator and brute force. But is that the only way to do it? Anyway, since I found values that made the determinant of A zero, (2) doesn't work either.

(3) f(a) = b = 2a
f-1(c) = d = log2(c)
a/b = c/d
a/2a = c/log2(c)

Did it the same way as (2). Found values using the calculator that made the determinant of A zero, so (3) doesn't work either.

(4) f(a) = b = sqrt(a - 1)
f-1(c) = d = c2 + 1 [c >= 0]
a/b = c/d
a/sqrt(a - 1) = c/(c2 + 1) [c >= 0]
Not possible.
For all a > 1, a/b always >= 2
For all c >= 0, c/d always <= 0.5
So the determinant is never zero. (4) works.

Anything else I'm missing? TIA.

yeongil said:
Thanks for the welcome.

After looking over (2) - (4), I've noticed a few more things.

ad - bc = 0 -> ad = bc -> a/b = c/d [provided that b <> 0 and d <> 0]

(2) f(a) = b = log(a)
f-1(c) = d = 10c
a/b = c/d
a/log(a) = c/10c

I was able to find values for a and c that would make the proportion true, using a calculator and brute force. But is that the only way to do it? Anyway, since I found values that made the determinant of A zero, (2) doesn't work either.

Well, if you rearrange (2) from a/log(a) = c/10c to 10c/log(a)=c/a,
you'll notice that 10c is always larger than c and log(a) is always smaller than a (a larger than 1)...therefore 10c/log(a) is always larger than c/a. So the determinant can never be zero. Same idea for (3).

Last edited:

FAQ: Does the Inverse Function Matrix Always Have a Non-Zero Determinant?

1. What is an inverse function?

An inverse function is a mathematical operation that undoes another function. It takes the output of one function and uses it as the input for the original function, resulting in the original input value.

2. Why is finding inverse functions important?

Finding inverse functions is important in many areas of mathematics and science. It allows us to solve equations and problems that involve multiple functions, and it also helps us understand the relationship between two variables in a function.

3. How do you determine if a function has an inverse?

A function has an inverse if it passes the horizontal line test, which means that no horizontal line intersects the graph of the function more than once. Another way to determine if a function has an inverse is by using the one-to-one property, where each input value has only one corresponding output value.

4. Can any function have an inverse?

No, not all functions have an inverse. For a function to have an inverse, it must be one-to-one, meaning each input value corresponds to only one output value. Functions that fail the horizontal line test, such as parabolas, do not have an inverse.

5. How do you find the inverse of a function?

To find the inverse of a function, you can follow a series of steps. First, replace the variable in the original function with y. Then, switch the x and y variables. Next, solve for y to get the inverse function. Finally, replace y with f^-1(x) to represent the inverse function.

Back