Does the Opaqueness of Space Increase?

In summary, the conversation discusses the role of photons and the constancy of the speed of light in verifying cosmological models. It also brings up the concept of refraction index and opaqueness in relation to the propagation of light through different media, including the approximate vacuum of space. The conversation also touches on the potential impact of dark matter and dark energy on the propagation of light and the possibility of delays in reaching Earth from distant sources. Ultimately, the conversation raises questions about the validity of certain assumptions and the current understanding of cosmological models.
mysearch
Gold Member
By way of clarification, this post is intended as a question, not as some thinly disguised alternative theory. So, as possibly an uninformed generalisation, it seems that the verification of most cosmological models must ultimately depend on observations that are predicated on the detection of photons and, in many cases, the assumption of the constancy of speed of light [c]. In this context, [c] is assumed to be the propagation of light through an 'absolute' vacuum.

However, in optics, there is the general acceptance that [c] reduces to [v] when passing through a given material that has a refractive index greater than 1. As I understand it, this change from [c] to [v] is based on light being delayed as photons collide with matter on-route and, in the process, get absorbed and retransmitted. This is assumption, so any clarification would be welcomed.

As such, I was wondering whether the approximate vacuum of space would represent an increasing opaqueness to the propagation of photons with distance. While the probability of light being ‘delayed’ within the solar system would appear to be small, if we increase the scale towards that of a galaxy, it is assumed that this opaqueness might increase as a function of distance. If we expand beyond a galaxy, some cosmology models now suggest that we might encounter dark matter and dark energy.

So are there any estimates for the refractive index of dark matter or dark energy?

If galaxies are thought to be surrounded by dark matter to account for galactic rotation and the interstellar space is filled with dark energy, do we have any idea of the net effect on the propagation velocity [c] on the very large scale of cosmic space, if the effective opaqueness could increase with distance. Ultimately, there seems to be the suggestion that the probability of photons ever reaching us directly from its source must fall to zero, if the net opaqueness increases due to billions of galaxies and billions of light-years of space. So my general questions are:

Are any of these assumptions valid?
Do current cosmology models account for any delays in the propagation of light?

Thanks

Space news on Phys.org
As I understand it, this change from [c] to [v] is based on light being delayed as photons collide with matter on-route and, in the process, get absorbed and retransmitted. This is assumption, so any clarification would be welcomed.
I don't know exactly how to describe the process, as I don't fully understand it, but it's not real absorption and retransmission. At least, the process has to be virtual, and from my understanding it's not clear that such a description is valid at all.
However, there is no direct proportionality between opacity and refraction index.

As such, I was wondering whether the approximate vacuum of space would represent an increasing opaqueness to the propagation of photons with distance.
Definitely. But the opacity is small, and the refraction index difference even smaller. The difference is many orders of magnitude smaller than the measurement accuracy.
If we expand beyond a galaxy, some cosmology models now suggest that we might encounter dark matter and dark energy.
Dark energy is everywhere, according to the model, and dark matter has its highest consentration in the middle of galaxies.
So are there any estimates for the refractive index of dark matter or dark energy?
Yes: 1. Both entities, whatever they are, do not interact with light.
Ultimately, there seems to be the suggestion that the probability of photons ever reaching us directly from its source must fall to zero, if the net opaqueness increases due to billions of galaxies and billions of light-years of space.
What really happens is that in the early times, the universe was filled with an opaque bright plasma. This is the barrier for our observations further out. We don't see light from further away (=earlier time), and we see a lot of "light" from the end of that period: the CMB.

Thanks for the feedback.
Ich said:
I don't know exactly how to describe the process, as I don't fully understand it, but it's not real absorption and retransmission. At least, the process has to be virtual, and from my understanding it's not clear that such a description is valid at all. However, there is no direct proportionality between opacity and refraction index.
Not sure what you meant by the process being virtual, but let me try to clarify my own use of ‘refractive index’ and ‘opaqueness’. The former was simply being used in the context [n=c/v], where [v] is the speed of light in some media with a refractive index [n]. As such, I was making the assumption that if the effective speed through a non-perfect vacuum might be reduced to [v], it might be said to have an associated value of [n]. Opacity may also be problematic term in this description, because normally it is used to describe how much the light/photons are blocked. I was assuming that the intensity of light reaching Earth is calculated based on the inverse square law, but presumably opacity would be a factor as would any effective ‘delay’ of a photon through absorption and retransmission in transit.
Ich said:
Definitely. But the opacity is small, and the refraction index difference even smaller. The difference is many orders of magnitude smaller than the measurement accuracy.
On the basis of the clarification above, I agree, that opacity and refractive index are different. However, I was simply speculating that both effects would be a function of distance, but presumably, in this case, distance would also be a function of time in an expanding universe?
Ich said:
Dark energy is everywhere, according to the model, and dark matter has its highest concentration in the middle of galaxies.
Thanks for the clarification.
Ich said:
Yes: 1. Both entities, whatever they are, do not interact with light.
Presumably, there would be some gravitational effects with dark matter and via the indirect effect of dark energy driving the expansion of space while the photons were in transit. However, it seems reasonable, based on the assumed properties of dark matter and dark energy, that a photon could not be directly delayed via absorption and retransmission, only delay by the path becoming longer?

I guess I was simply wondering about the probability of a photon propagating directly from a very distant source to Earth and whether this was something the observations that underpin any cosmology model had to take into account. Thanks

Last edited:
However, I was simply speculating that both effects would be a function of distance, but presumably, in this case, distance would also be a function of time in an expanding universe?
Rather, time is a function of distance along the light path. The further you see, the older the light, and the younger the universe where it originated. We don't expect much change wrt distance, but things changed dramatically in the young universe.
Presumably, there would be some gravitational effects with dark matter and via the indirect effect of dark energy driving the expansion of space while the photons were in transit.
Of course. One of these effects is accelerated expansion. You can see its signature in redshift - luminosity distance diagrams.
However, it seems reasonable, based on the assumed properties of dark matter and dark energy, that a photon could not be directly delayed via absorption and retransmission, only delay by the path becoming longer?
Yes, that's what one expects. No interaction.
I guess I was simply wondering about the probability of a photon propagating directly from a very distant source to Earth and whether this was something the observations that underpin any cosmology model had to take into account.
They do. For example, if you see a supernova through a dust cloud, you see it fainter. This could be mistaken as an indication of larger distance. You have to sort these things out, they're part of the systematic errors in the measurements. But that's opacity, not refractivity.

for your question. I can say that the opaqueness of space does not necessarily increase with distance. The concept of refractive index, which applies to materials with a physical structure, does not apply to the vacuum of space. In fact, the vacuum of space is considered to be the closest thing to a perfect transparent medium, as it has no physical structure to interact with light.

The speed of light, [c], is a fundamental constant in physics and is not affected by the presence of matter or energy. This means that the propagation of light through space is not delayed or changed in any way. The assumption of the constancy of [c] is well-supported by experimental evidence and is a fundamental principle in our understanding of the universe.

In terms of cosmological models, observations and measurements of the speed of light have been used to validate and refine our understanding of the universe. Any delays or changes in the propagation of light would have been observed and accounted for in these models.

As for dark matter and dark energy, which are still areas of active research and study, there is no evidence to suggest that they have any effect on the speed of light. In fact, dark matter and dark energy are not known to interact with light at all.

In summary, the opaqueness of space does not increase with distance and the speed of light is not affected by the presence of matter or energy. These assumptions are supported by current cosmological models and experimental evidence. I hope this helps clarify your questions.

Related to Does the Opaqueness of Space Increase?

1. What is the meaning of opaqueness in space?

Opaqueness in space refers to the ability of objects in space, such as planets, stars, and galaxies, to block and absorb light. This can make it difficult to see objects behind them and can also affect how much light reaches us from distant objects.

2. Does the opaqueness of space increase over time?

Yes, the opaqueness of space does increase over time. This is due to various factors such as the expansion of the universe, the formation of new stars and galaxies, and the buildup of interstellar dust and gas.

3. How does the opaqueness of space affect our ability to study the universe?

The opaqueness of space can make it challenging to study the universe, particularly in the infrared and ultraviolet wavelengths. This is because these wavelengths are more easily absorbed by dust and gas, making it difficult to observe distant objects in these regions.

4. Can we measure the opaqueness of space?

Yes, scientists have developed ways to measure the opaqueness of space using various telescopes and instruments. They can measure the amount of light that reaches us from distant objects and compare it to the expected amount based on the distance and other factors.

5. What implications does the increasing opaqueness of space have for the future of space exploration?

The increasing opaqueness of space may pose challenges for future space exploration missions. It may require the development of new technologies and techniques to overcome this obstacle and continue studying the universe. It may also affect the types of objects and phenomena that we can observe in the future.