Does the Root Test Determine Convergence for \(\sum \frac{5^n}{n+1}\)?

In summary, the problem was to find a solution for a function that became 1 as n increased. The limit of this function was 0.
srfriggen

Homework Statement

I don't have the problem in front of me but it was something like "converge or diverge"?:

[tex]\sum[/tex] 5^n/(n+1)

The Attempt at a Solution

I would like to know that if I use the root test, would I get lim n-> [tex]\infty[/tex] 5/(n+1)^1/n = 5/(n+1)^0 = 5/1 = 5 ?

I suspect this is not correct since (n+1)^1^n is an indeterminate form, however, in the book the only way to solve the problem that led to the correct answer was if (n+1) became 1

(this is not the exact example, I am more interested in if you can use the root test on variables variables of n in the base, ex lim -> [tex]\infty[/tex]n^1/n

If this is not clear enough I will re-post with the correct problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
(n+1)^(1/n) may be indeterminant, but the limit as n->infinity of (n+1)^(1/n) is 1. Take the log and apply l'Hopital.

do you mean, y=(n+1)^1/n
lny = ln(n+1)^1/n,
lny = (n+1)/n

y'/y = 1/1
e^y'=e^y... ok I got kinda lost

srfriggen said:
do you mean, y=(n+1)^1/n
lny = ln(n+1)^1/n,
lny = (n+1)/n

y'/y = 1/1
e^y'=e^y... ok I got kinda lost

ln((n+1)^(1/n))=(1/n)*ln(n+1)=ln(n+1)/n. Apply l'Hopital. What's limit ln(n+1)/n?

Dick said:
ln((n+1)^(1/n))=(1/n)*ln(n+1)=ln(n+1)/n. Apply l'Hopital. What's limit ln(n+1)/n?

ok, but when I take the derivative of the top and bottom with respect to n I get (1/(n+1)) / 1 = 1/(n+1), and that -> 0 as n - > infinity. Not sure how you are getting 1 as an answer.

srfriggen said:
ok, but when I take the derivative of the top and bottom with respect to n I get (1/(n+1)) / 1 = 1/(n+1), and that -> 0 as n - > infinity. Not sure how you are getting 1 as an answer.

That limit is telling you that log(y)=0. Remember, you took the log? What's y?

Dick said:
That limit is telling you that log(y)=0. Remember, you took the log? What's y?

so take e on both sides and you get y = e^0, or y = 1

:)

Thanks! I think that's just something worth memorizing!

Related to Does the Root Test Determine Convergence for \(\sum \frac{5^n}{n+1}\)?

1. What is the Root Test for Infinite Series?

The Root Test is a convergence test for infinite series that determines whether a series converges or diverges based on the limit of the nth root of the absolute value of the terms in the series.

2. How do you perform the Root Test?

To perform the Root Test, you take the nth root of the absolute value of each term in the series and then take the limit as n approaches infinity. If the resulting limit is less than 1, the series converges. If the limit is greater than 1 or infinity, the series diverges. If the limit is exactly 1, the test is inconclusive and another test must be used.

3. What is the difference between the Root Test and the Ratio Test?

Both the Root Test and the Ratio Test are used to determine the convergence or divergence of infinite series. The main difference is that the Root Test uses the nth root of the terms while the Ratio Test uses the ratio between consecutive terms. The Root Test is more useful for series with terms raised to a power, while the Ratio Test is more useful for series with factorials or exponential terms.

4. When should the Root Test be used?

The Root Test is most useful for series with terms that have a power or exponent, such as series with polynomials or exponential terms. It is also useful for series with alternating signs. If a series does not meet these criteria, it is best to use another convergence test.

5. Can the Root Test be used to determine absolute or conditional convergence?

Yes, the Root Test can be used to determine both absolute and conditional convergence. If the limit of the nth root of the absolute value of the terms is less than 1, the series converges absolutely. If the limit is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive and another test must be used to determine conditional convergence.