Does the Solution Lie in the Ring of Exponential Sums?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
In summary, we discussed the differential equation $Ly=f$ in the ring of exponential sums and how the superposition principle allows us to break down the equation into simpler ones. We saw that if $b$ is a root of the characteristic equation of multiplicity $M$, the solution will not be in the ring, but if $b$ is not a root, then the solution will be in the ring. This also holds for the original differential equation, as long as $L(e^{bx}) \neq 0$.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

We consider the differential equation $Ly=f$ in the ring of exponential sums $\mathbb{C}[e^{\lambda x} \mid \lambda \in \mathbb{C}]$ so we have that $f=\sum_{i=0}^n C_i e^{\lambda_i x}$.

If we apply the superposition principle we have to solve differential equations of the form $Ly=e^{bx}$.

If $b$ is a root of the characteristic equation of the homogeneous equation of multiplicity $M$, then the solution is of the form $Cx^Me^{b x}\notin \mathbb{C}[e^{\lambda x} \mid \lambda \in \mathbb{C}]$.

If $b$ is not a root of the characteristic equation of the homogeneous equation, then the solution is of the form $Ce^{b x}\in \mathbb{C}[e^{\lambda x} \mid \lambda \in \mathbb{C}]$. Therefore, the differential equation has a solution in the ring if $b$ is not a root of the characteristic equation, right?

This is equivalent to $L(e^{b x}) \neq 0$, right?

Does this stand also for the original differential equation? So is it $$L\left (\sum_{i=0}^n C_i e^{\lambda_i x}\right ) \neq 0$$ ? (Wondering)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! Yes, you are correct. If $b$ is not a root of the characteristic equation, then the solution will be in the ring of exponential sums. This is because the solution will be of the form $Ce^{bx}$, which can be written as a sum of exponential terms in the form $e^{\lambda x}$.

And yes, this also holds for the original differential equation. The superposition principle allows us to break down the original equation into simpler equations, and as long as $L(e^{bx}) \neq 0$, the solution will be in the ring of exponential sums. So for the original equation $Ly=f$, we have $L\left (\sum_{i=0}^n C_i e^{\lambda_i x}\right ) \neq 0$.

I hope this helps clarify things for you! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Related to Does the Solution Lie in the Ring of Exponential Sums?

1. What is "f" in this context?

In this context, "f" typically stands for a variable or function within a mathematical or scientific equation or concept.

2. Can "f" also represent something else besides a variable or function?

Yes, depending on the specific context, "f" may represent other things such as a physical quantity, a property, or a symbol in a specialized field.

3. Is "f" used in any particular field or subject?

While "f" is commonly used in mathematics and physics, it can also be found in fields such as engineering, economics, and computer science.

4. How is "f" related to other variables or functions in an equation or concept?

The relationship between "f" and other variables or functions can vary, but it is often used to represent a dependent variable or output in relation to one or more independent variables or inputs. It can also represent a function that transforms one set of values into another set of values.

5. Can "f" have different meanings in different equations or concepts?

Yes, "f" can have different meanings depending on the specific equation or concept being used. It is important to understand the context and notation of the equation or concept in order to accurately interpret the meaning of "f".