Does the stuff you solder with have lead in it

• Thread starter Jurrasic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lead
In summary, to ensure that you are not soldering with lead, you can purchase lead-free solder which is commonly used commercially. However, for hobbyists who may still use leaded solder, it is important to avoid mixing the two types. This can cause problems with melting temperatures and potentially lead to solder joint failure. Some individuals have also found that lead-free solder does not perform as well as lead solder.
Jurrasic
If you want to soldier something, then, how can you check to be that whatever you are soldering has no lead present?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I repair old tube amps. Yes, the solder has lead in it.

Jurrasic said:
If you want to soldier something, then, how can you check to be that whatever you are soldering has no lead present?

Buy lead-free solder...
The type of solder that is used commercially nowadays does not contain any lead. But if you are a hobbyist you can still buy solder with lead in it (the most common type being 60/40)

Also, you should avoid mixing lead-free and leaded solder, which can be a problem if you are reparing something.

I have encountered what I believe to be lead free solder on my last couple of fixes. It must have a higher melting point then regular 60/40 solder as my poor old soldering iron barely has the power to melt it. I found that by adding regular solder I could get it to melt and was able to remove it. I replaced it with regular solder, both my repairs, a power supply for a plasma big screen and a old motherboard seem to be doing fine.

What are the problems with mixing the two?

So Jurrasic. You didn't say what you are soldering. I use silver solder for copper tubing. :approve:

Integral said:

I'm just guessing, but I think it may be the different melting temperatures. If you have a mix, then part of the solder joint may have a good fillet, and part may not. Especially if the PCB undergoes stress, shock or vibration (like in portable devices), inadequate fillets can lead to premature solder joint failure.

Integral said:
I have encountered what I believe to be lead free solder on my last couple of fixes. It must have a higher melting point then regular 60/40 solder as my poor old soldering iron barely has the power to melt it. I found that by adding regular solder I could get it to melt and was able to remove it. I replaced it with regular solder, both my repairs, a power supply for a plasma big screen and a old motherboard seem to be doing fine.

Uggg, yeah. I have tried lead free solder a few times and did not like the performance or behavior of the solder. I'm sticking to lead solder for now.

FAQ: Does the stuff you solder with have lead in it

1. Does all solder contain lead?

No, not all solder contains lead. There are lead-free options available, typically made with a combination of tin, copper, and silver.

2. How do I know if the solder I am using contains lead?

You can check the packaging or product label for any indication of lead content. Additionally, you can look for the "RoHS" symbol, which means the product is compliant with regulations that restrict the use of certain hazardous substances including lead.

3. Why is lead used in solder?

Lead is used in solder because it has a low melting point and is easily malleable, making it ideal for creating strong and durable connections between electrical components. However, due to its toxic nature, there has been a push towards using lead-free alternatives.

4. Is it safe to use solder with lead?

It is generally safe to use solder with lead as long as proper safety precautions are taken, such as working in a well-ventilated area and avoiding direct contact with the solder. However, it is important to properly dispose of any materials containing lead to prevent environmental contamination.

5. Are there any health risks associated with using lead-containing solder?

Yes, there are potential health risks associated with using lead-containing solder, especially if proper safety precautions are not taken. Inhaling lead fumes or ingesting lead particles can lead to lead poisoning, which can cause serious health issues. It is important to follow safety guidelines and handle lead-containing solder with caution.