Does the time of submitting grad school applications matter?

In summary, the conversation discusses the dilemma of whether to take the October or November Physics GRE and the possible impact on admissions to a physics grad program. It is suggested to ask admissions counselors for the schools where one is applying, as they may not look at applications until after the deadline and there is no benefit to submitting early. It is also mentioned that for graduate admissions, it is important to consider the professors who will be reviewing applications and to think of it more like a job application. It is recommended to ask professors at a PhD granting institution for advice and to make sure to meet all application deadlines.
nsatya
I'm debating on whether to take the October or November Physics GRE. If I take the November test, I have more time to study, but I was wondering if it would affect my chances of getting admitted to a physics grad program if all the schools got my scores a month later than they otherwise would if I took the October test. Of course, I'm assuming that they will all get my scores before the application deadline. Do the admissions get more competitive the later the applications are submitted? Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
phyzguy said:

FYI, this concerns undergraduate admissions.

in terms of graduate admissions, it varies. remember, the people looking over the apps arent administrators or anything--they're the professors who are considering taking you into their research lab. With this in mind, try thinking about graduate school admissions less like school and more like a job.

a. if they have spots open, they're taking applications.
b. if you're a superstar applicant, they'll probably take you right off the bat. most professors tend to know the quality of students they're school gets and if you are way beyond what the average is, I can't see why they'd wait to send you and acceptance letter. (assuming they start looking that early...)
c. if you aren't a superstar applicant, they could just put you in the "maybe" pile until they look at more files to see how you compare. (or toss your application out the door...)

it's so hard to make generalizations because its the profs doing the work!
OP: do you go to a phd granting instutition? try asking some of your professors.

and no, so long as you meet whatever deadlines they have, you should be fine. sending you application in sept probably wouldn't help you...

FAQ: Does the time of submitting grad school applications matter?

What is the best time to submit grad school applications?

The best time to submit grad school applications is as early as possible. This will give you a better chance of being considered for admission and financial aid.

Do grad schools have specific deadlines for applications?

Yes, most grad schools have specific deadlines for applications. It is important to carefully research and note the deadlines for the schools you are interested in to ensure that you submit your application on time.

Will submitting my application earlier increase my chances of being accepted?

Submitting your application earlier may increase your chances of being accepted, as many schools have rolling admissions and accept students on a first-come, first-served basis. However, the quality of your application is ultimately more important than the submission date.

Can I submit my application after the deadline?

It is not recommended to submit your application after the deadline, as it may not be considered by the admissions committee. However, some schools may have a grace period for late submissions, so be sure to check with the school directly.

Are there any advantages to submitting my application closer to the deadline?

There are no advantages to submitting your application closer to the deadline. In fact, it may put you at a disadvantage as the admissions committee may have already filled a significant number of spots in the program by that time.