Does this example give a transcendental equation?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in AP Physics involving a projectile being launched at a certain speed and angle to pass through a specific point. The problem can be reduced to a transcendental equation, and there are two possible solutions for the angle. The conversation also mentions using Maxima to solve the equation and discusses the concept of transcendental functions.
kq6up
I am teaching AP Physics, and wrote a problem on the board as an example of how to attack a problem. I new the answer would be nasty, but I didn't actually want them to solve it. I only wanted them to reduce the problem to one e.q. and one unknown. I was wondering if there is an analytic solution to the problem, or if it is transcendental.

The form it reduced to was 4=tan(th)*x-1/2*g*x^2*(sec(th))^2/vo^2

Here is the problem:

If a projectile is launched at 10m/s from the coordinates (0,0), what angle would it need to be launched at to pass through the points (4,4)?

Is it a transcendental equation, or is there a analytic solution?

Thanks,
Chris Maness

Physics news on Phys.org
Just to let you know I have done the algebra and arrived at an angle of ≈ 67o.
This satisfies the original equation. I reduced it to:
[itex] \frac{8g}{200} = 2\cosθ(\sinθ - \cosθ) [/itex]

There are two angles, close to each other, which satisfy the condition. If the point would be on the line given by 5-x^2/20 (using g=10), there would be one angle only. Above, it would be unreachable and below, there are two solutions.

Multiply the equation given in the first post by cos^2(θ)/4 and set x=4, g=10 and v=10 to get rid of constants and units:
[tex]\cos^2(\theta) = \sin(\theta)\cos(\theta) - \frac{1}{5}[/tex]
This is similar to the equation in the second post.
As the angle is between 0 and 90°, sin(θ) is positive. Use [itex]\sin(\theta)=\sqrt{1-\cos^2(\theta)}[/itex], add 1/5 on both sides and multiply by 5:

[tex]5\cos^2(\theta) + 1 = 5\cos(\theta)\sqrt{1-\cos^2(\theta)}[/tex]
Square both sides and substitute [itex]\cos^2(\theta)=\frac{z}{5}[/itex]:

[tex]z^2 + 2z + 1 = z(5-z)[/tex]
Simplify:
[tex]2z^2 - 3z + 1 = 0[/tex]
Solve for z:
[tex]z=\frac{1}{4} ( 3 \pm 1)[/tex]
This means
[tex]\cos^2(\theta_1)=\frac{1}{5}~~{\text{and}}~~\cos^2(\theta_2)=\frac{1}{10}[/tex]
Which can be solved for the angles in an obvious way and gives about 63.4° and 71.6°.

I am trying to solve it with Maxima, and it sure is giving me some strange results. The equation I posted above (I will give it a shot in LaTeX):

[itex]\Delta y=\Delta x\cdot tan(\theta )-\frac { 1 }{ 2 } g{ \left( \frac { \Delta x }{ { v }_{ \circ }\cdot cos(\theta ) } \right) }^{ 2 }[/itex]

Does this look correct?

I tried plotting both sides to see where the intersect. It does make sense that there are two solutions. If the physics is good, I am going to try to post this equation in a Maxima forum to see why I can't get it to find roots for this. If I take my original equation and simplify it (as shown above by multiply through by cos^2(x)), I can plot both sides, works perfectly. I just can't get the original to work correctly.

Excuse me if I come off as a n00b. I haven't used my physics in a while (this is my first year teaching AP Physics).

Regards,
Chris Maness

Last edited:
Is this the "field goal problem"? When launching a projectile from ground level, an angle of 45 degrees gives maximum distance if the final position is at ground level. If, however, we wish to get the maximum range at some altitude other than ground, I tried solving the problem in the 1970's & got a messy equation I didn't feel like tackling. It was only extra credit so I didn't do it. My physics prof never gave us the answer.

Claude

kq6up said:
Is it a transcendental equation, or is there a analytic solution?
Yes, it is a transcendental equation. Even if you simplify it to "analytic" solutions like sin(x)=c, this will be just another transcendental equation, properly speaking.

transcendental equation - an equation that involves transcendental functions.
transcendentals functions: trigonometric functions, exponential, log, etc.

Last edited:
cabraham said:
Is this the "field goal problem"? When launching a projectile from ground level, an angle of 45 degrees gives maximum distance if the final position is at ground level. If, however, we wish to get the maximum range at some altitude other than ground, I tried solving the problem in the 1970's & got a messy equation I didn't feel like tackling. It was only extra credit so I didn't do it. My physics prof never gave us the answer.

Claude

When I used to solve this problem for Field Goal, I was also given the projectile Angle.
Then it is a piece of cake.

btw, Kg6Up's equation above is correct.
But I never tried a graphical solution. It would be interesting
to find one.
It seems simple, 2 equations with 2 unknowns.
But one equation becomes a quadratic equation of (time)2

Last edited:

Related to Does this example give a transcendental equation?

1. What is a transcendental equation?

A transcendental equation is a mathematical equation that contains both algebraic and transcendental functions. These types of equations cannot be solved algebraically and require numerical methods to find the solution.

2. How is a transcendental equation different from an algebraic equation?

Unlike algebraic equations, which can be solved using algebraic operations, transcendental equations involve transcendental functions such as trigonometric, exponential, or logarithmic functions.

3. Can all equations be classified as either algebraic or transcendental?

No, some equations may contain both algebraic and transcendental functions, while others may not fit into either category.

4. What are some examples of transcendental equations?

Some common examples of transcendental equations include the sine and cosine functions, exponential functions, and logarithmic functions.

5. How are transcendental equations used in science?

Transcendental equations are used in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and chemistry, to model natural phenomena and solve complex equations that cannot be solved algebraically. They are also used in computer algorithms and simulations to model and predict real-world systems.