Does Water Break Down/Rot?(Chemistry Ignorant)

In summary, water is a stable molecule that does not break down easily, making it a preferred product in chemical reactions. Its stability is due to the strong bonds between its molecules, which is why it does not break down in a similar way to other substances, like bread. The simplicity of its chemical structure, with only two hydrogens and one oxygen, also contributes to its stability. However, there are exceptions to this and further research is needed to fully understand the strength of the bonds between water molecules.
Bacle
Please forgive me if this is a stupid question; I know embarrassingly little about

chemistry. I'm just curious as to whether water breaks down or not: if one leaves

out, e.g., a piece of bread , within a few days, the bread will become moldy, i.e.,

it will start breaking down (same thing will happen even if bread is refrigerated, only

slower). Yet, it seems, when one leaves out a glass of water, that this water does

not break down, at least not in a way similar to, e.g., that of the bread. I guess this

has to see with the strength of the bonds between the molecules , maybe with entropy

in a more general sense (and I know of this in only very general terms). I guess water

is chemically very simple, having two hydrogens and one oxygen, still, I know next to

nothing about the strength of the link/bond between the hydrogens and the water. Is

this the explanation?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Water molecule is very stable, which makes it one of the preferred products in chemical reactions. Especially when you deal with large organic molecules.

This is overgeneralized, plenty of counterexamples - still, I think it should point you in the right direction.

Related to Does Water Break Down/Rot?(Chemistry Ignorant)

1. Does water break down over time?

Yes, water can break down over time through a process called hydrolysis. This is when water molecules react with other substances, causing them to break down into smaller molecules.

2. What factors can cause water to break down?

Several factors can contribute to the breakdown of water, including exposure to sunlight, extreme temperatures, and the presence of certain chemicals or minerals.

3. Is the breakdown of water a chemical or physical process?

The breakdown of water is a chemical process because the chemical composition of the water molecules changes as they react with other substances.

4. Does the breakdown of water produce any byproducts?

Yes, the breakdown of water can produce byproducts such as hydrogen and oxygen gas, as well as other substances depending on the specific reactions taking place.

5. Can water break down into other elements?

No, water molecules are made up of two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom, and these atoms cannot be broken down into other elements through the breakdown of water.