Does Water Pressure Change Inside a Cave at the Bottom of the Ocean?

In summary, water pressure is a result of the weight of the water column above a given point, plus atmospheric pressure. In the example of a tank of water, the pressure at the bottom of the tank is 10 pounds, while at the bottom of the tank under a shelf it is still 10 pounds. This is because the shelf does not transfer the water pressure, it only supports the weight of the water above it. The same is true for a cave at the bottom of the ocean, where the water pressure would be the same inside and outside. In the case of a triangular container, the water pressure would be uniform across the base. This principle applies to both fluids and gases.
jackrabbit
I understand that water pressure is solely a function of the weight of the water column (plus atmospheric pressure) above a given point in the body of water. Ignoring atmospheric pressure, assume that a water column above a given point at the bottom of a tank of water is 10 pounds. Assume that, half way up the side of the tank, a rigid shelf is attached to the wall that extends a foot or so horizontally out into the water. (Assume that the tank is several feet wide, so that the shelf only extends part way across). Is the water pressure at the bottom of the tank under the shelf only 5 pounds? And as soon as you step out from under the shelf, is the pressure back to 10 pounds? Or is the calculation more complicated than that, and if so, why?

Stated differently, if you swim into a cave at the bottom of the ocean, is the water pressure dramatically different than outside the cave?

Physics news on Phys.org
Stated differently, if you swim into a cave at the bottom of the ocean, is the water pressure dramatically different than outside the cave?

Definitely not. It would be dangerous to find out the hard way.

The water pressure under your shelf is identical to the water pressure at the same depth, but not under the shelf.

Thanks. Why is that the case? Why wouldn't the shelf (or the cave) carry the pressure of the water above it (and if it were strong enough, not transfer the pressure to the water below it)?

To further elaborate on the question, if the shelf extended all the way across, so that it effectively cut the water tank in half, presumably the pressure at the bottom of the tank would be cut in half as well, right? Or not? But if I leave any space between the shelf and and the side, then the pressure at the top and bottom equalizes for some reason?

That sounds right intuitively, but I'm wondering about the math. Why does that happen if pressure is solely a function of the water weight above a given point?

Water pressure in triangular container

I'm trying to figure out whether water pressure is uniform across the bottom of a container shaped like a right triangle. Imagine that one of the shorter sides is the base, so there is a 90 degree angle on one side of the base and an acute angle on the other. Is the water pressure less in the corner with the acute angle than in the corner that is 90 degrees? The height of the water above the 90 degree corner is much greater than in the other corner, so is the water pressure greater in the 90 degree corner as a result? Or is there some principle that requires uniformity across the base?

[threads merged]
If water pressure were differrent at two points right next to each other, the water would have to flow from the high to the low pressure, wouldn't it?

Consider your house: is the air pressure much different inside than outside?

And see this link: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/pflu.html

Last edited:
Thanks Russ Watters.

Yes, I suppose it should flow from the high pressure to the low pressure zone, but if the water is in a closed container, there is nowhere for the water to flow. So, I assume the pressure just builds in the corner until equilibrium is reached. Is that the way it works? So that, in fact, water pressure is not simply a function of the weight of the water column above a given point? And, in the triangular container example, the water pressure would be the same across the entire base?

I thought about the air pressure in the house example as well. Does gas behave exactly the same way as fluid on this point?

Water is a fluid, and will transfer the pressure along with the water no matter if it has to go around corners or under shelves.

If i extend your shelf all the way across the tank and put a small hole in it, then the force of the pressure will "transfer" through that hole into the rest of the tank i believe. If i simply extended your shelf all the way across to cut the tank in half, and if the shelf were strong enough to take the water pressure above it without transferring it into the water below it, then at the bottom of the tank the pressure would be half of the normal pressure, since the shelf absorbs the weight of the water above it.

Edit: Also, remember that water pressure is putting pressure on something from all sides, not just from above or below or to the side. So standing underneath a shelf underwater wouldn't do you any good for the reasons I've mentioned above.

jackrabbit said:
Thanks Russ Watters.

Yes, I suppose it should flow from the high pressure to the low pressure zone, but if the water is in a closed container, there is nowhere for the water to flow.
If it flows a few nanometers it will adjust the pressure distribution enough to equilize the pressure.
So, I assume the pressure just builds in the corner until equilibrium is reached. Is that the way it works? So that, in fact, water pressure is not simply a function of the weight of the water column above a given point?
Well if a container is closed and applies its own pressure to the water, you just add the pressure added by the container.
And, in the triangular container example, the water pressure would be the same across the entire base?
Yes.
I thought about the air pressure in the house example as well. Does gas behave exactly the same way as fluid on this point?
Gas is a fluid, so yes.

jackrabbit said:
I understand that water pressure is solely a function of the weight of the water column (plus atmospheric pressure) above a given point in the body of water.
Depth related pressure is a function of density times height (assuming constant gravity force and density). The shape of a container and the actual amount of water or the weight of the water doesn't matter, only the height and density of the water. The pressure at the bottom of a 30 foot deep cylindrical tank is the same regardless if the tank has a radius of 1 inch or 1 mile.

Related to Does Water Pressure Change Inside a Cave at the Bottom of the Ocean?

What is water pressure under shelf?

Water pressure under shelf is the force exerted by the weight of water on the underside of a submerged shelf or structure.

How is water pressure under shelf calculated?

The formula for calculating water pressure under shelf is P = pgh, where P is the pressure, p is the density of water, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and h is the depth of the water.

What factors affect water pressure under shelf?

The main factors that affect water pressure under shelf include the depth of the water, the density of the water, and the force of gravity. Other factors such as the shape and size of the shelf may also have an impact.

Why is water pressure under shelf important to understand?

Understanding water pressure under shelf is important for a variety of reasons. It can help engineers design and construct underwater structures that can withstand the pressure. It is also important for predicting the behavior of underwater systems and for ensuring the safety of divers and other underwater activities.

How does water pressure under shelf differ from water pressure at the surface?

The main difference between water pressure under shelf and at the surface is the depth of the water. The deeper the water, the greater the pressure. This is because the weight of the water above increases with depth, resulting in higher pressure at lower depths.