Does Z^n as the First Homology Group Imply R^n with Real Coefficients?

• Thread starter petergreat
  • Start date
If the integral homology is free of torsion, then the other homologies are free of the same dimension. Therefore, in general, the group with integer coefficients should have more information than with other coefficients. This is likely to be correct, but please forgive any mistakes as I am answering without verifying.
petergreat
If the first homology group of a manifold is Z^n, does it imply that the first homology group with real coefficients (obtained from singular chains with real coefficients) is R^n?

Physics news on Phys.org
i think so. in general the group with integer coefficients should have more information than with other coefficients. look up universal coefficients:

in general, if the integral homology has no torsion, i.e. is free, then the other homologies are free of the same dimension.

please forgive me for answering in my dotage without verifying any of this. but i am probably not too far wrong.

petergreat said:
If the first homology group of a manifold is Z^n, does it imply that the first homology group with real coefficients (obtained from singular chains with real coefficients) is R^n?

Look at the Universal Coefficient Theorem for homology.

Related to Does Z^n as the First Homology Group Imply R^n with Real Coefficients?

1. What is homology?

Homology refers to the similarity between different organisms or structures that is due to shared ancestry. In other words, if two organisms or structures are homologous, it means they have a common evolutionary origin.

2. How is homology determined?

Homology is determined through comparative analysis of anatomical, genetic, and developmental features. If two organisms or structures share similar traits and patterns of development, they are likely to be homologous.

3. What is the difference between homology and analogy?

Homology and analogy are both terms used to describe similarity between organisms or structures. However, homology refers to similarity due to shared ancestry, while analogy refers to similarity due to convergent evolution.

4. Can homology be observed at the molecular level?

Yes, homology can be observed at the molecular level through DNA and protein sequence analysis. Similarities in sequences between different species can indicate shared ancestry and homology.

5. Why is homology important in evolutionary biology?

Homology is important in evolutionary biology because it provides evidence for common ancestry and helps us understand the relationships between different species. It also allows us to make predictions about the evolutionary history of organisms and how they may have adapted to different environments.