Doing a Remote PhD: US Citizen in Seattle

• Other
  • Thread starter Ai52487963
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd
In summary, the speaker currently lives in Seattle and is employed at a tech company. They are considering going back for a PhD, but the situation is complicated. They are a US citizen and completed their MSc in astrophysics at University College London. Their former advisor is willing to have them return for the PhD program, but the speaker is unsure about being able to attend face-to-face activities regularly. They have heard of someone who did their PhD remotely at a different UK university, but the speaker's advisor advises against it. The speaker is also considering the University of Washington's program in physics and astronomy as an alternative.
Ai52487963
I currently live in Seattle and am stably employed with a tech company. I've been thinking about going back for my phd, but the issue is a little complicated. I'm a US citizen and did my MSc in astrophysics at University College London. I've been in touch with my old adviser who would be happy to have me come back for the phd program.

When I was there for my masters, I regularly hung out with the phd students and remember there being lots of talks and colloquia that people attended. I guess that the best-case scenario would be me flying out there periodically for face-to-face activities.

Has anyone done something like this before? My adviser said he knows someone at a different UK university (Sussex) that did their phd remotely, but they were also in the UK.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would strongly suggest against doing a PhD without regular access to supervision. Of course there is Skype etc, but it is just not the same thing. In particular in the early years of a PhD, I would say it is important to have access to your supervisor if you get stuck. Once you have gotten warm you can start becoming more independent.

The University of Washington has an excellent program in physics and astronomy. Even if you can't get into their program, you could probably show up to their department colloquia and talk to people there.

Related to Doing a Remote PhD: US Citizen in Seattle

1. What is a remote PhD?

A remote PhD, also known as a distance PhD or online PhD, is a doctoral degree program that can be completed entirely online or through a combination of online and in-person coursework.

2. Can a US citizen do a remote PhD?

Yes, a US citizen can do a remote PhD. Many universities in the US offer remote PhD programs, and US citizens are eligible to apply for these programs.

3. Do I have to live in Seattle to do a remote PhD?

No, you do not have to live in Seattle to do a remote PhD. As long as you have access to a reliable internet connection, you can complete a remote PhD program from anywhere in the world.

4. How long does it take to complete a remote PhD?

The length of a remote PhD program can vary depending on the field of study and the individual's pace. On average, it takes around 4-6 years to complete a remote PhD program.

5. Are there any differences between a remote PhD and a traditional PhD?

While the coursework and requirements may be similar, there are some key differences between a remote PhD and a traditional PhD. A remote PhD allows for more flexibility in terms of location and schedule, but may also require more self-motivation and discipline to complete. Additionally, some traditional PhD programs may have more opportunities for in-person networking and research collaborations.