Domain and range of multivariable functions

In summary: I sketched it and found the region to be in between the two parabolasRange:[-1;infinity)Domain:[1;infinity) U [-1;-infinity)
TheRedDevil18

Homework Statement

Specify the domain and range of f(x, y) = arccos(y − x2). Indicate whether the domain is (i)
open or closed, and (ii) bounded or unbounded. Give a clear reason in each case.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

y-x2 >= -1
y >= x2 -1

y-x2 <= 1
y <= x2 +1

I sketched it and found the region to be in between the two parabolas
Range:
[-1;infinity)

Domain:
[1;infinity) U [-1;-infinity)

I don't know if those are correct but I got them from the sketch

I don't know what (i) and (ii) means

Physics news on Phys.org
Recall from real single variate calculus the domain of the ##\text{arccos}(x)## function: ##x \in [-1, 1]##. Notice this is the range of the ##\text{cos}(x)## function.

So if ##D = \{ x \in \mathbb{R} \space | \space -1 \leq x \leq 1 \}##, the range can be deduced as ##R = \{ y \in \mathbb{R} \space | \space 0 \leq y \leq \pi \}##.

Most of this translates over to real multivariate calculus. That is, you require the domain to satisfy:

$$(y - x^2) \in [-1, 1]$$

So ##D = \{ (x, y) \in \mathbb{R^2} \space | \space -1 \leq y - x^2 \leq 1 \}##.

Can you deduce the range?

For (i) and (ii), what does it mean when the domain is open/closed, bounded/unbounded?

Zondrina said:
Recall from real single variate calculus the domain of the ##\text{arccos}(x)## function: ##x \in [-1, 1]##. Notice this is the range of the ##\text{cos}(x)## function.

So if ##D = \{ x \in \mathbb{R} \space | \space -1 \leq x \leq 1 \}##, the range can be deduced as ##R = \{ y \in \mathbb{R} \space | \space 0 \leq y \leq \pi \}##.

Most of this translates over to real multivariate calculus. That is, you require the domain to satisfy:

$$(y - x^2) \in [-1, 1]$$

So ##D = \{ (x, y) \in \mathbb{R^2} \space | \space -1 \leq y - x^2 \leq 1 \}##.

Can you deduce the range?

For (i) and (ii), what does it mean when the domain is open/closed, bounded/unbounded?

Is the range 0 <= z <= 180 ?, because if y-x^2 = 1, then the min value of z would be 0 and if y-x^2 had to equal -1 then the max value of z would be 180 so the range would be in between 0 and 180

TheRedDevil18 said:
Is the range 0 <= z <= 180 ?
You should be thinking in terms of real numbers (i.e., radians), not degrees. The range of the arccosine function is [0, ##\pi##].
TheRedDevil18 said:
, because if y-x^2 = 1, then the min value of z would be 0 and if y-x^2 had to equal -1 then the max value of z would be 180 so the range would be in between 0 and 180.

TheRedDevil18 said:
Domain:
[1;infinity) U [-1;-infinity)
I'm not sure if you were trying to specify a two-dimensional region here, but what you wrote corresponds to the union of two pieces of the number line.

The way you analyzed it graphically is fine. The notation you would use to describe that region is what Zondrina wrote.

I don't know what (i) and (ii) means
In math, it's crucial to know the precise definition of various terms as well as what they intuitively mean. If you don't know what a term means, you should look it up — that's the least you can do. If you already did this, you should have said so. If you can't make complete sense of the definition after reading about it, at least you'll have some idea of what it means. You can then ask a specific question about what's confusing you.

Related to Domain and range of multivariable functions

1. What is the domain of a multivariable function?

The domain of a multivariable function refers to the set of all possible input values for the function. In other words, it is the set of all independent variables that can be plugged into the function to produce a valid output.

2. How do you determine the domain of a multivariable function?

To determine the domain of a multivariable function, you need to consider the restrictions on the independent variables. These restrictions can come from the function itself or from the context of the problem. For example, a square root function cannot have a negative input, so the domain would be all real numbers greater than or equal to zero.

3. What is the range of a multivariable function?

The range of a multivariable function refers to the set of all possible output values for the function. In other words, it is the set of all dependent variables that can be produced by plugging in valid input values.

4. How do you determine the range of a multivariable function?

To determine the range of a multivariable function, you can use various methods such as graphing, algebraic manipulation, or using a table of values. You will need to consider the restrictions on the independent variables and the behavior of the function to determine all possible output values.

5. Can the domain and range of a multivariable function be infinite?

Yes, depending on the function, the domain and range can be infinite. For example, a linear function with no restrictions on the independent variable will have an infinite domain and range. However, it is important to carefully consider any restrictions or behavior of the function to determine the exact domain and range.