Town Changes Phone Code: From 666 to 616

• Thread starter mgb_phys
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Code
In summary: Heck. ;)In summary, a town in the USA has managed to change its phone code from 666 to 616, after the discovery that 666 was a typo and it should be 616 instead. This change has been suggested to be ironic as the number 616 has also appeared in other versions of the Book of Revelation. Some believe that the number 666 represents the beast or evil, but the Dead Sea scrolls suggest that it was actually referring to the Roman emperor Nero. The fuss over this number seems to be mostly superstition, and some even joke about wanting to have such a memorable number. There is even a town called Hell in Michigan that could potentially embrace the number 666 as their phone code.
mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Apologies for posting a religous story - but it's really human nature or cryptography.
A town in the USA has managed to have it's phone code changed from 666
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7163767.stm

Ironically this comes after the discovery that 666 is a typo and it should be 616 - it wouldbe beautifully ironic if the town's code was changed to 616!
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/04/0425_050425_papyrus.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
mgb_phys said:
Apologies for posting a religous story - but it's really human nature or cryptography.
A town in the USA has managed to have it's phone code changed from 666
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7163767.stm

Ironically this comes after the discovery that 666 is a typo and it should be 616 - it wouldbe beautifully ironic if the town's code was changed to 616!

Actually, it says that the newly readable documents indicate that "the beast" has the number 616, but that doesn't make it the gospel truth. :-p

Ah, the poverty of numerology.

Moridin said:
Ah, the poverty of numerology.

The Dead Sea scrolls suggest that the beast was Nero. It also turns out that this bit about 616 was already known.

CHARLESWORTH: Yes. That's easy to do. Let me stress first of all that we can date it approximately to the [A.D.] 90s because everybody knows about the wicked beast who has a number on his forehead of six hundred and sixty-six, and the author goes on to say this is indeed a human. Well, it must be someone who is threatening the community. Well, if the community is facing martyrdom, it would be from Rome. So the most logical would be to look at the emperors -- and remember the number six hundred and sixty-six, there's also many text that have the number as six hundred and sixteen. So it would be helpful if our explanation would clarify that and how we can have differences.

Well, Nero according to Hebrew -- when you put it into Hebrew letters -- now Hebrew letters have numerical value. When you put it into Hebrew, it's six hundred sixteen. But we have a text among the Dead Sea Scrolls that writes -- spells -- the name Nero a little differently, so that the full numeration would be six hundred and sixty-six. So I am convinced anyway that the wicked beast is Nero. That's our best explanation.
http://www.theology.edu/revappen.htm

Last edited:
I wonder who will get that number next? Or will nobody get it? I think that would be a fun exchange to have...at least nobody is going to forget it.

Whats all the fuss over a number? :confused:

mgb_phys said:

Actually the number 616 has appeared in other versions of the Book of Revelation recovered before 2005. I have a Bible translation which was made in 2001, which makes note of this. But it would still be pretty funny!

I suppose you've got to do this to appease the superstitious folks, if nothing else. For the same reason, many buildings don't have a thirteenth floor.

Kurdt said:
Whats all the fuss over a number? :confused:

Considering that there's 4 more numbers following it, it seems mostly like a bunch of silliness. I'd want to have a number like that that's so easy to remember.

Moonbear said:
I'd want to have a number like that that's so easy to remember.

My phone number is fairly memorable in a similar way but I tend to find that we get more wrong numbers because its similar to business' phone numbers. You'd never be lonely though, there'd always be some nut case asking for the devil.

"Hello, is that Satan?"

"Sorry you want 616 you have the wrong number."

I get wrong numbers anyway. I must have a similar number to one of the local pet stores, because I seem to get a lot of wrong numbers for them. At least I could have fun with the wrong numbers if they were calling asking for the devil. :biggrin: :devil:

Moonbear said:
At least I could have fun with the wrong numbers if they were calling asking for the devil. :biggrin: :devil:

You Moonbear? Never

Kurdt said:
My phone number is fairly memorable in a similar way but I tend to find that we get more wrong numbers because its similar to business' phone numbers. You'd never be lonely though, there'd always be some nut case asking for the devil.

"Hello, is that Satan?"

"Sorry you want 616 you have the wrong number."

:smile::smile:

Moonbear said:
I wonder who will get that number next? Or will nobody get it? I think that would be a fun exchange to have...at least nobody is going to forget it.

For my vote it should go to Hell, Michigan:
http://www.hell2u.com/

Janus said:
For my vote it should go to Hell, Michigan:
http://www.hell2u.com/

Oh I go there often. Great brunches at the DamnSight Inn.

I got stuck in Hell once. Well, not stuck, but lost on the backroads at night and kept winding up in front of the Inferno (was that the bar, or a shop? I can't recall). It did have me laughing pretty hard (fortunately, I wasn't alone and while it was night, it wasn't terribly late yet, so it was more funny than worrisome that we kept going in circles).

I still want to know what good Catholics living in Hell tell their kids when they're bad. When I was a kid, we were told we'd go to Hell if we were bad, but if you already live in Hell, I've always wondered what you say to your kids? "You'll be stuck living in Hell the rest of your life if you are bad"...maybe...that could be scary. :biggrin: :smile: But, yeah, I think that town would embrace that exchange...good call. :wink:

The kids are told they will go to Detroit. Everyone knows Detroit is worse then Hell.

Yeah, there was a flare-up a few years back out here over Highway 666, so they changed it.

Related to Town Changes Phone Code: From 666 to 616

1. What is the significance of changing the phone code from 666 to 616?

The change from 666 to 616 in the phone code is due to the belief that 666 is associated with the biblical number of the Antichrist. The change is meant to distance the town from this association and to avoid any negative connotations.

2. How was the decision made to change the phone code?

The decision to change the phone code was made by the town council after receiving feedback and concerns from residents about the negative connotations associated with the number 666. The council held a vote and the majority agreed to change the phone code to 616.

3. Will this change affect current phone numbers in the town?

No, the change in phone code will not affect current phone numbers in the town. The change will only apply to new phone numbers that are assigned in the future.

4. Is this the first time a town has changed its phone code for cultural or religious reasons?

No, there have been other instances where towns or cities have changed their phone codes for cultural or religious reasons. For example, in Japan, the city of Chiba changed its phone code from 666 to 043 in 1994 due to the association with the Antichrist.

5. Will this change have any impact on the town's economy or infrastructure?

No, changing the phone code will not have any significant impact on the town's economy or infrastructure. The change is simply a symbolic gesture to address the concerns of the residents and does not affect any other aspects of the town.

Back