Doppler Effect ambulance speed Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the scenario of an ambulance with a siren emitting a whine at 1530 Hz overtaking a cyclist traveling at 2.22 m/s. After being passed, the cyclist hears a frequency of 1519 Hz. Using the formula f' = f*v/(u+v) and the speed of sound in air as 343 m/s, the speed of the ambulance is calculated to be 4.68 m/s.
Sheen91

Homework Statement

An ambulance with a siren emitting a whine at 1530 Hz overtakes and passes a cyclist pedaling a bike at 2.22 m/s. After being passed, the cyclist hears a frequency of 1519 Hz. How fast is the ambulance moving? (Take the speed of sound in air to be 343 m/s.)

Homework Equations

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/3340/equationx.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

Since both the cyclist and the ambulance is moving it is slightly confusing for me.

I have tried this question multiple times but am unable to get the right answer.

I tried to the question where the ambulance is moving and the cyclist is stationary and then just add the velocity of the cyclist onto the velocity I get for the ambulance.

This is what i tried :

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/426/answer.jpg

It is wrong but if someone is able to tell me what I did wrong that would be great.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is an error in the formula you are using. According to my text
it should be f' = f*v/(u + v)
where v is the speed of sound and u the speed at which the source is moving away from the observer. It comes out to 2.48, to which the 2.2 must be added.

So is the speed of the ambulance would be 2.48 + 2.2 = 4.68 m/s ??

Nice its right :D

Thanks

FAQ: Doppler Effect ambulance speed Question

What is the Doppler Effect?

The Doppler Effect is a phenomenon where the frequency of a wave, such as sound or light, appears to change when the source of the wave is moving towards or away from an observer.

How does the Doppler Effect relate to ambulance speeds?

The Doppler Effect is commonly observed with the sound of ambulance sirens. As the ambulance approaches, the sound waves are compressed, resulting in a higher frequency and a higher pitch. As the ambulance moves away, the sound waves are stretched, resulting in a lower frequency and a lower pitch.

Why is the Doppler Effect important in determining ambulance speeds?

The change in frequency of the ambulance siren can be used to calculate the speed of the ambulance. By measuring the shift in frequency, it is possible to determine how fast the ambulance is moving towards or away from the observer.

What factors can affect the accuracy of determining ambulance speeds using the Doppler Effect?

The accuracy of using the Doppler Effect to determine ambulance speeds can be affected by various factors, such as the distance between the observer and the ambulance, the speed of the ambulance, and the surrounding environment. Additionally, any obstacles or changes in terrain can also impact the sound waves and affect the accuracy of the measurement.

Can the Doppler Effect be used to determine the speed of any moving object?

Yes, the Doppler Effect can be used to determine the speed of any moving object as long as there is a source of waves and an observer. This phenomenon is not limited to just sound waves, but can also be observed with light waves, such as in the case of redshift and blueshift in astronomy.

Back