Doppler effect and Resonance-relationship?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between Doppler effect and resonance. The example of Menar Jonban is used to illustrate the concept of resonance, but someone suggests that the phenomenon could also be explained by the Doppler effect. The speaker asks for clarification on the relationship between the two concepts. Ultimately, it is determined that they are not related and the correct explanation is the Doppler effect.
smhni
Doppler effect and Resonance--relationship?

we have a structure called Menar Jonban (i.e. Shaking Minaret-- it's basically a minaret that could be shaken --- literally!..you shake one minaret and the other one shakes too!) ... obviously the best explanation of the phenomenon is resonance .. but someone told me "resonance or Doppler effect" .. what does Doppler got to do with it? ...

I know these concepts are from the same family (kinda!) ... but what's the relationship between the two? ..is my friend mistaken, or can you explain one based on the other? ..

thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I guess it should be Doppler effect.
Doppler effect is shift of frequency of a moving particle/wave.
Resonance is the increase in amplitude.

They are not related.

Related to Doppler effect and Resonance-relationship?

1. What is the Doppler effect?

The Doppler effect is the change in frequency or wavelength of a wave in relation to an observer who is moving relative to the source of the wave.

2. How does the Doppler effect affect sound waves?

The Doppler effect causes the pitch of sound waves to change when the source of the sound is moving towards or away from the observer. This results in a higher frequency and pitch when the source is approaching and a lower frequency and pitch when the source is moving away.

3. What is resonance in relation to the Doppler effect?

Resonance is the phenomenon where an object vibrates at its natural frequency when it is exposed to an external force or vibration at the same frequency. In the case of the Doppler effect, resonance occurs when the frequency of the source matches the natural frequency of the object, resulting in a larger amplitude of vibration.

4. How is the Doppler effect used in everyday life?

The Doppler effect has many practical applications in everyday life, such as in radar technology, where it is used to determine the speed and direction of moving objects. It is also used in medical imaging, such as ultrasound, to measure the velocity of blood flow and detect abnormalities.

5. What is the difference between the Doppler effect and the Doppler shift?

The Doppler effect and the Doppler shift are often used interchangeably, but the Doppler shift specifically refers to the change in frequency of electromagnetic waves, such as light, while the Doppler effect can be applied to all types of waves, including sound waves.