Doppler effect derivation for moving observer and stationary source

In summary, the equation highlighted is a relationship between the number of waves fronts received per unit time and the time.
member 731016
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Please see below
For this,
1685399033768.png

1685399385710.png

Does someone please know where they got that ##f'## is number of waves fronts received per unit time from? Also could we write the equation highlighted as ##f' = \frac{n\lambda}{t}## where ##n## is the number of wavefronts in a time ##t##?

I derived that from ##\frac{vt}{\lambda} = n## and ##v = f\lambda##

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have two velocities to consider:
- Propagation of the waves.
- Observer O.

While the observer approaches the non-moving source of sound waves, both velocities have opposite directions, producing a net velocity (which can be converted to a frequency).

While the observer moves away from the source, both velocities have the same direction, producing a net velocity (which can also be converted to another frequency).

Approaching frequency > Distancing frequency

Likes member 731016
Lnewqban said:
You have two velocities to consider:
- Propagation of the waves.
- Observer O.

While the observer approaches the non-moving source of sound waves, both velocities have opposite directions, producing a net velocity (which can be converted to a frequency).

While the observer moves away from the source, both velocities have the same direction, producing a net velocity (which can also be converted to another frequency).

Approaching frequency > Distancing frequency
Thank you for your reply @Lnewqban!

Good idea to think about it as a resultant velocity (I guess relative to the air)? The textbook says assumes that the body air is the reference frame.

Many thanks!

Likes Lnewqban
ChiralSuperfields said:
Does someone please know where they got that f′ is number of waves fronts received per unit time from?
It's definitional. The frequency observed by a receiver is the rate at which whole cycles are received.
ChiralSuperfields said:
could we write the equation highlighted as ##f' = \frac{n\lambda}{t}## where ##n## is the number of wavefronts in a time ##t##?

I derived that from ##\frac{vt}{\lambda} = n## and ##v = f\lambda##
No, you can’t write it like that for the excellent reason that it is dimensionally inconsistent. The LHS has dimension ##T^{-1}##, while the RHS has dimension ##LT^{-1}##. You could not have derived it correctly from those other two equations because they are consistent.

Likes member 731016
haruspex said:
It's definitional. The frequency observed by a receiver is the rate at which whole cycles are received.

No, you can’t write it like that for the excellent reason that it is dimensionally inconsistent. The LHS has dimension ##T^{-1}##, while the RHS has dimension ##LT^{-1}##. You could not have derived it correctly from those other two equations because they are consistent.
Thank you for your replies @haruspex and @Lnewqban !

Yeah, I can't find where they the textbook where they define frequency as number of wavelengths per unit time ##f' = \frac{n}{t}## where ##n## is the number of wave fronts in a time internal ##t##. I can only find definition ##f = \frac{1}{T}## where the wave speed v is eliminated from ##v = f\lambda## and ##v = \frac{\lambda}{T}## to get the result.

However, using our definition, ##f' = \frac{n}{T}## and comparing with the equation highlighted I get:
##n = \frac{vt}{\lambda} + \frac{v_Ot}{\lambda}##.

I think ##n = \frac{vt}{\lambda} + \frac{v_Ot}{\lambda}## could be rewritten more succinctly as,

##n = \frac{n_1\lambda}{\lambda} + \frac{n_2\lambda}{\lambda}##
##n = n_1 + n_2##

Where, ##n_1## is a positive integer multiple of wavelengths to pass an stationary observer fixed to the frame of the medium and ##n_2## is a positive integer multiple of wavelengths to pass a the observer while they are moving towards the source.

I also tried rewriting it another way,

##n = \frac{d}{\lambda} + \frac{d_O}{\lambda}##

which is also dimensionally consistent and I'm still thinking about

Many thanks!

ChiralSuperfields said:
##n = n_1 + n_2##

Where, ##n_1## is a positive integer multiple of wavelengths to pass an stationary observer fixed to the frame of the medium and ##n_2## is a positive integer multiple of wavelengths to pass a the observer while they are moving towards the source.
Yes, if you mean "… ##n_2## is the positive integer multiple of wavelengths the observer would pass while moving towards the source if the waves were stationary"

Likes member 731016
haruspex said:
Yes, if you mean "… ##n_2## is the positive integer multiple of wavelengths the observer would pass while moving towards the source if the waves were stationary"
Thank you for catching my mistake there @haruspex!

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Doppler effect derivation for moving observer and stationary source

What is the Doppler effect?

The Doppler effect is a change in the frequency or wavelength of a wave in relation to an observer who is moving relative to the wave source. It is commonly experienced with sound waves, for example, when a vehicle sounding a siren approaches, passes, and recedes from an observer.

How does the Doppler effect differ for a moving observer versus a moving source?

For a moving observer and stationary source, the observed frequency changes because the observer is moving towards or away from the source, effectively changing the speed at which the observer encounters the wave fronts. For a moving source and stationary observer, the source's motion changes the spacing of the wave fronts, altering the frequency perceived by the observer.

What is the formula for the Doppler effect when the observer is moving towards a stationary source?

When the observer is moving towards a stationary source, the observed frequency \( f' \) is given by:\[ f' = f \left( \frac{v + v_o}{v} \right) \]where \( f \) is the emitted frequency, \( v \) is the speed of sound in the medium, and \( v_o \) is the speed of the observer towards the source.

What happens to the observed frequency if the observer moves away from the stationary source?

If the observer moves away from the stationary source, the observed frequency \( f' \) decreases and is given by:\[ f' = f \left( \frac{v - v_o}{v} \right) \]where \( f \) is the emitted frequency, \( v \) is the speed of sound in the medium, and \( v_o \) is the speed of the observer moving away from the source.

Can you explain the derivation of the Doppler effect formula for a moving observer and a stationary source?

The derivation starts by considering the relative motion between the observer and the wave fronts. If the observer moves towards the source, they encounter wave fronts more frequently. The time between encountering successive wave fronts is reduced by the observer's speed. The observed frequency \( f' \) is:\[ f' = \frac{v + v_o}{\lambda} \]where \( \lambda \) is the wavelength of the sound. Since the wavelength \( \lambda \) is related to the emitted frequency \( f \) by \( \lambda = \frac{v}{f} \), substituting this in gives:\[ f' = \frac{v + v_o}{v / f} = f \left( \frac{v + v_o}{v} \right) \]This shows how the observed frequency depends on the observer's speed relative to the speed of sound.