Doppler Effect Homework: Find Speed of Ambulance

In summary, the given problem involves an observer at a crosswalk hearing an ambulance siren with an apparent frequency of 480 Hz when the ambulance is approaching and 420 Hz after it passes. The speed of the ambulance can be found using the equations for a source moving towards or away from an observer. By setting up and solving an equation using the given frequencies and the speed of sound in air, the speed of the ambulance can be determined. Algebra can be used to solve for the frequency of the sound given off by the ambulance.
asdf12321asdf

Homework Statement

A stationary observer at a crosswalk hears an ambulance siren with an apparent frequency of
480 Hz when the ambulance is approaching. After the ambulance passes the apparent frequency is only 420 Hz. Find the speed of the ambulance. Assume v = 343 m/s for the speed of sound in air.

Homework Equations

source moving towards observer: f' = (vf)/(v - vs)
source moving away from observer: f' = (vf)/(v + vs)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having trouble because I am not sure how to figure out what the frequency of the sound given off by the ambulance is. I tried using 450 since it is halfway between, and it gave me a close answer, but not the correct one. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
hi asdf12321asdf! :smile:
asdf12321asdf said:
source moving towards observer: f' = (vf)/(v - vs)
source moving away from observer: f' = (vf)/(v + vs)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having trouble because I am not sure how to figure out what the frequency of the sound given off by the ambulance is. I tried using 450 since it is halfway between, and it gave me a close answer, but not the correct one.

Quelle surprise! :smile:

c'mon … use some algebra! :wink:

oh ok I figured it out thanks a lot

Related to Doppler Effect Homework: Find Speed of Ambulance

1. How does the Doppler Effect work?

The Doppler Effect is a phenomenon where the frequency of a wave appears to change when the source of the wave is in motion relative to the observer. This means that if the source of the wave is moving towards the observer, the frequency will be perceived as higher, and if the source is moving away, the frequency will be perceived as lower.

2. What is the formula for calculating the speed of an ambulance using the Doppler Effect?

The formula for calculating the speed of an ambulance using the Doppler Effect is: speed = ((speed of sound in air) x (observed frequency - original frequency)) / original frequency.

3. How do you determine the original frequency for an ambulance siren?

The original frequency for an ambulance siren can be determined by listening to the siren when the ambulance is stationary. This will give you the original frequency of the siren.

4. Can the Doppler Effect be used for objects other than sound waves?

Yes, the Doppler Effect can be used for any type of wave, including light waves. In fact, it is commonly used in astronomy to determine the speed and direction of celestial objects.

5. How accurate is the Doppler Effect in determining the speed of an ambulance?

The Doppler Effect is a reliable method for determining the speed of an ambulance. However, it is important to note that other factors, such as the direction and angle of the ambulance, can affect the accuracy of the calculation. It is best to take multiple measurements and average them for a more accurate result.