Dot and Cross Products: Solving for [u x v] - 0, Simplification and Distribution

• Thread starter Lurid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cross Dot
In summary: However, the author warns that it can be difficult to calculate this result. They provide an example to help explain the concept. First, the vectors are described and their corresponding components are given. Next, the dot product of the vectors is calculated and simplified.
Lurid

Homework Statement

u (dot) [ u x v]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is 0, but I'm not sure why. Do you simplify [u x v], then use that vector to dot it with u? Or can you distribute the u to both u and v?

Physics news on Phys.org
The vector of [tex]\left|u \times v\right| = \left|\begin{array}{cc}i & j & k\\u_1 & u_2 & u_3\\v_1 & v_2 &v_3\end{array}\right|[/tex]Then substitute in [tex] u [/tex] for [tex] i,j,k [/tex] because you're trying to prove that the vector [tex] \left|u \times v\right| [/tex] is orthogonal to both u and v. Then simplify and distribute.

Lurid said:

Homework Statement

u (dot) [ u x v]

Homework Equations

The answer is 0, but I'm not sure why. Do you simplify [u x v], then use that vector to dot it with u? Or can you distribute the u to both u and v?
Hello Lurid. Welcome to PF !

You have two different kinds of multiplication involving vectors. Why would you be tempted to do any distributing ?

u × v is perpendicular to both u and v.

What is the result of taking the dot product (scalar product) of two vectors which are perpendicular to each other?

Lurid said:

Homework Statement

u (dot) [ u x v]

Homework Equations

Sometimes the easiest way is to just write things down in detail. If [itex] \textbf{u} = u_x \textbf{i} + u_y\, \textbf{j} + u_z\textbf{k} \mbox{ and } \textbf{v} = v_x \textbf{i} + v_y \, \textbf{j} + v_z \textbf{k}, [/itex] then the x-component of [itex] \textbf{u} \times
\textbf{v}[/itex] is [itex] u_y v_z - u_z v_y. [/itex] When we take the dot product with u, we take [itex] u_x [/itex] times the above. We have two other such terms from the y- and z-components, so all we need to do is sum them up and simplify. It really is not difficult.

RGV

FAQ: Dot and Cross Products: Solving for [u x v] - 0, Simplification and Distribution

1. What is the difference between dot and cross products?

The dot product is a scalar quantity that results in a single number, while the cross product is a vector quantity that results in a vector.

2. How are dot and cross products calculated?

The dot product is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of two vectors and then adding the products. The cross product is calculated using the determinant of a 3x3 matrix.

3. What are the applications of dot and cross products?

The dot product is often used in physics and engineering to calculate work, energy, and angles between vectors. The cross product is used to calculate torque, magnetic fields, and surface area of parallelograms and triangles.

4. Can dot and cross products be applied to vectors in any dimension?

No, the dot product can only be applied to vectors in 2 or 3 dimensions, while the cross product is only applicable to vectors in 3 dimensions.

5. Are dot and cross products commutative?

The dot product is commutative, meaning the order of the vectors does not matter. However, the cross product is anti-commutative, meaning the order of the vectors does matter and the result will be a vector in the opposite direction.