Dot product of 4-force and 4-velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of bold and arrow symbols to represent 4-vectors and 3-vectors, as well as the use of dot products and multiplication to calculate magnitudes and derivatives. The conversation also touches on the direction of acceleration due to a force and the differences between \frac{\mathrm{d}v}{\mathrm{d}t} and \frac{\mathrm{d}\vec{v}}{\mathrm{d}t}. The final conclusion is that \frac{\mathrm{d}\gamma}{\mathrm{d}t}=\frac{\vec{a}\cdot \vec{v}}{c^2}\gamma^3.
Rasalhague
In what follows, I'll use bold for 4-vectors and an arrow over a letter to denote a 3-vector. I'll use a dot both for the Minkowski dot product and the Euclidean one, and multiplication of real numbers; the meaning in each case should be clear from the symbols on either side. [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{a}[/itex] are 3-veclocity and 3-acceleration. The same letters without the arrow are their magnitudes.

I've been working through the [itex]E=mc^2[/itex] derivation at the Shady Crypt Observatory site, which someone posted in a recent thread. I've got up to the detour establishing that [itex]\mathbf{F} \cdot \mathbf{U} = 0[/itex], equation 18. I'm with them for the first three lines of the derivation that follows this equation, but I don't yet see how

[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d} \gamma}{\mathrm{d} t} = \frac{\gamma^3}{c^2} \, \vec{a} \cdot \vec{v}.[/tex]

I get

[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d} \gamma}{\mathrm{d} t} = \frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} t}\left ( \left [ 1-\left ( \frac{v}{c} \right )^2 \right ]^{1/2} \right )[/tex]

[tex]=-\left [ 1-\left ( \frac{v}{c} \right )^2 \right ]^{-3/2}\cdot\left ( \frac{-2v}{c} \right )\cdot\frac{1}{c}\cdot a[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{2av}{c^2\left [ 1-\left ( \frac{v}{c} \right )^2 \right ]^{3/2}} = \frac{2av \gamma^3}{c^2}=\frac{2av\gamma}{c^2-v^2}.[/tex]

But [itex]\vec{a} \cdot \vec{v} = a \, v\, \cos{\theta}[/itex] and, whatever the angle, [itex]\cos{\theta} \neq 2[/itex].

Physics news on Phys.org
Rasalhague said:
In what follows, I'll use bold for 4-vectors and an arrow over a letter to denote a 3-vector. I'll use a dot both for the Minkowski dot product and the Euclidean one, and multiplication of real numbers; the meaning in each case should be clear from the symbols on either side. [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{a}[/itex] are 3-veclocity and 3-acceleration. The same letters without the arrow are their magnitudes.

I've been working through the [itex]E=mc^2[/itex] derivation at the Shady Crypt Observatory site, which someone posted in a recent thread. I've got up to the detour establishing that [itex]\mathbf{F} \cdot \mathbf{U} = 0[/itex], equation 18. I'm with them for the first three lines of the derivation that follows this equation, but I don't yet see how

[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d} \gamma}{\mathrm{d} t} = \frac{\gamma^3}{c^2} \, \vec{a} \cdot \vec{v}.[/tex]

I get

[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d} \gamma}{\mathrm{d} t} = \frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} t}\left ( \left [ 1-\left ( \frac{v}{c} \right )^2 \right ]^{1/2} \right )[/tex]

[tex]=-\left [ 1-\left ( \frac{v}{c} \right )^2 \right ]^{-3/2}\cdot\left ( \frac{-2v}{c} \right )\cdot\frac{1}{c}\cdot a[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{2av}{c^2\left [ 1-\left ( \frac{v}{c} \right )^2 \right ]^{3/2}} = \frac{2av \gamma^3}{c^2}=\frac{2av\gamma}{c^2-v^2}.[/tex]

But [itex]\vec{a} \cdot \vec{v} = a \, v\, \cos{\theta}[/itex] and, whatever the angle, [itex]\cos{\theta} \neq 2[/itex].

You forgot to put a 2 in the denominator of the derivative of [tex]\gamma[/tex].

AB

Ah, yes, so I did. Thanks, Altabeh. But how do we know that acceleration due to this arbitrary force will be in the same direction as the velocity of the object experiencing the force?

In your argument you have taken

[tex]a = \frac{d|\vec{v}|}{dt}[/tex]​

when in fact it is

[tex]a = \left|\frac{d\vec{v}}{dt}\right|[/tex]​

To get the result you want, differentiate

[tex]v^2 = \vec{v} \cdot \vec{v}[/tex]​

Rasalhague said:
Ah, yes, so I did. Thanks, Altabeh. But how do we know that acceleration due to this arbitrary force will be in the same direction as the velocity of the object experiencing the force?

We don't need to know how a and v vectors are directed if there is a force acting on an object! Why are you asking this?

AB

Got it! Thanks, DrGreg.

Altabeh said:
We don't need to know how a and v vectors are directed if there is a force acting on an object! Why are you asking this?

I see that now. I asked because I thought they'd just substituted [itex]\vec{a}\cdot \vec{v}[/itex] for [itex]av[/itex]. But as DrGreg pointed out,

[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d}v}{\mathrm{d}t}=\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}t}\left(\vec{v}\cdot \vec{v}\right)^{1/2}=\frac{1}{2v} \left(\frac{\mathrm{d}\vec{v}}{\mathrm{d}t} \cdot \vec{v} + \vec{v} \cdot \frac{\mathrm{d}\vec{v}}{\mathrm{d}t} \right)[/tex]

is not the same thing as

[tex]\vec{a} = \frac{\mathrm{d}\vec{v}}{\mathrm{d}t}.[/tex]

So

[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d}\gamma}{\mathrm{d}t}=\frac{\vec{a}\cdot \vec{v}}{c^2}\gamma^3.[/tex]

Last edited:

Related to Dot product of 4-force and 4-velocity

What is the dot product of 4-force and 4-velocity?

The dot product of 4-force and 4-velocity is a mathematical operation that calculates the scalar value of the product of these two vectors. It is used in the study of special relativity to determine the work done on an object by a force.

How is the dot product of 4-force and 4-velocity calculated?

The dot product of 4-force and 4-velocity is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the two vectors and then adding them together. This can be represented mathematically as F · U = F0U0 + F1U1 + F2U2 + F3U3, where F and U are the 4-force and 4-velocity vectors, respectively.

What does the dot product of 4-force and 4-velocity represent?

The dot product of 4-force and 4-velocity represents the work done on an object by a force. It is a scalar quantity that tells us the magnitude of the force and the direction in which it is acting on the object.

Why is the dot product of 4-force and 4-velocity important in special relativity?

The dot product of 4-force and 4-velocity is important in special relativity because it helps us understand the effects of forces on objects moving at high speeds. It allows us to calculate the work done on an object and determine its energy and momentum in different reference frames.

How does the dot product of 4-force and 4-velocity relate to the concept of relativistic energy?

The dot product of 4-force and 4-velocity is a key component in the equation for relativistic energy, E = γmc2, where γ is the Lorentz factor, m is the rest mass of the object, and c is the speed of light. The dot product helps us determine the energy of an object in different reference frames, taking into account its velocity and the work done on it by forces.