Double Angle Identity Mystery: Solving 2/(tanx+cotx)=sinx

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving the equation 2/(tanx+cotx)=sinx and the use of double angle and Pythagorean identities to solve it. The person is certain that their answer is correct, but the textbook answer does not match. The group concludes that it may be an error in the textbook.
nzashadow

Homework Statement

2/(tanx+cotx)=sinx

Homework Equations

Double Angle Identities, Pythagorean Identities

The Attempt at a Solution

2/(tanx+cotx)=

2/[(sinx/cosx)+(cosx/sinx)]=

2/[((sinx)^2+(cosx)^2)/(sinxcosx)]=

2sinxcosx/[(sinx)^2+(cosx)^2]=

2sinxcosx = sin(2x) =/= sinx

The book I'm getting this problem in says the answer is sinx, however I get sin(2x) which does not equal sinx. I am certain I am right, though I may also be making a stupid mistake :P

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer seems correct went over it a couple of times, It seems like an error with your textbook.

Seems correct to me too, maybe the textbook has tan(x/2)+cot(x/2) instead?

you are right

nah it says tanx+cotx, went over it many times.

thanks guys

Related to Double Angle Identity Mystery: Solving 2/(tanx+cotx)=sinx

1. What is the double angle identity?

The double angle identity is a trigonometric identity that relates the values of a trigonometric function at double the angle to the values of the function at the original angle. For example, sin(2x) = 2sin(x)cos(x) is a double angle identity.

2. How do you solve 2/(tanx+cotx)=sinx?

To solve this equation, we can use the double angle identity for tangent and cotangent: tan(2x) = 2tan(x)/(1-tan^2(x)) and cot(2x) = (cot^2(x)-1)/2cot(x). By substituting these identities into the original equation, we get 2/(2tan(x)/(1-tan^2(x))+(cot^2(x)-1)/2cot(x)) = sinx. Simplifying this equation will lead to a quadratic equation in terms of tan(x), which can be solved using the quadratic formula.

3. Why is it called a "mystery"?

The term "mystery" is used to describe the process of solving this equation because it is not immediately obvious how to approach it. It involves using multiple identities and algebraic manipulations to simplify the equation and arrive at a solution.

4. What is the importance of solving this equation?

Solving this equation can help us understand the relationships between different trigonometric functions and how they can be manipulated to find solutions to complex equations. It also allows us to find solutions to real-world problems that involve trigonometry, such as finding the distance between two objects or the height of a building.

5. Are there any tips for solving this type of equation?

Some tips for solving equations involving double angle identities are to carefully substitute identities for tangent and cotangent, simplify the equation as much as possible, and recognize patterns in the equation that can help with solving. It is also important to check for extraneous solutions, as some solutions may not be valid for the original equation.