Double degree in maths/BSci or BEng(comp. systems)/BSci?

• Programs
  • Thread starter ScienceGuy42
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree
In summary, the person just graduated from high school and got an offer for a combined degree in computer systems engineering and science (physics). Their goal is to pursue a PhD in astrophysics and astronomy at ANU, and they are considering a double degree in maths and physics or combining physics with computer systems engineering. The maths covered in the physics courses should be enough for a PhD, but a maths degree could be beneficial. The programming skills from a computer systems engineering degree would also be useful for research in astrophysics. Ultimately, the best option will depend on the individual's interests and goals.
ScienceGuy42
Hi all! I just graduated from high school this year and also got my offer for university next year! Exciting times.

The offer I got was for a combined degree in computer systems engineering and science (physics). I've attached a PDF of the program plan. My goal is to do an honours year and PhD in astrophysics and astronomy at ANU. I don't know what area yet... I have years to figure that out, but either theoretical or observational.

My question: would a double degree in maths and physics be better for someone pursuing a PhD in astrophysics, or does the maths in the physics courses cover the maths required for a PhD program (keeping in mind the courses in general relativity, etc. that I'd do without having done courses exclusively in topology, linear algebra, DEs or PDEs (refer to program plan attached))?

If a maths degree isn't necessary, I would combine physics with computer systems engineering. Would this give me a larger advantage in my graduate research than a maths degree? e.g. advanced programming skills for simulation work, data processing, and the ability to construct any physical computer system necessary for research.

This has been driving me crazy the past 2 weeks because I haven't been able to contact any of the lecturers from the university and ask, so your answers are invaluable. Thankyou! :)

Attachments

• B_Eng_Hons_CompSys_B_Sc_Phys.pdf
    694.3 KB · Views: 352
  • B_Maths_B_Science.pdf
    749.7 KB · Views: 396
Likes Curiosity 1
Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like a double degree in Physics and Computer Systems Engineering would be the best option for you if your goal is to pursue a PhD in astrophysics. The maths covered in physics courses should provide you with enough of a foundation to pursue a PhD in astrophysics, but if you wanted to supplement this with more maths knowledge, then a double degree in Maths and Physics could be beneficial. The programming skills you would acquire from the Computer Systems Engineering degree would be invaluable for research in astrophysics, such as simulation work, data processing, and constructing physical computer systems. Ultimately, the best option for you will depend on your own interests and goals.

Related to Double degree in maths/BSci or BEng(comp. systems)/BSci?

1. What is a double degree in maths/BSci or BEng(comp. systems)/BSci?

A double degree in maths/BSci or BEng(comp. systems)/BSci is a program where a student can earn two bachelor's degrees simultaneously. One degree is in mathematics or computer science and the other is in a science or engineering field.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing a double degree in maths/BSci or BEng(comp. systems)/BSci?

There are several benefits to pursuing a double degree in maths/BSci or BEng(comp. systems)/BSci. These include gaining a diverse set of skills and knowledge, enhancing career prospects, and potentially reducing the time and cost of earning two separate degrees.

3. How long does it take to complete a double degree in maths/BSci or BEng(comp. systems)/BSci?

The length of time to complete a double degree in maths/BSci or BEng(comp. systems)/BSci varies depending on the specific program and the institution. On average, it takes 4-5 years to complete a double degree program.

4. Can I choose my own combination of degrees for a double degree in maths/BSci or BEng(comp. systems)/BSci?

Yes, most universities allow students to choose their own combination of degrees for a double degree in maths/BSci or BEng(comp. systems)/BSci. However, there may be some restrictions or prerequisites in place, so it is important to check with the institution.

5. What career opportunities are available with a double degree in maths/BSci or BEng(comp. systems)/BSci?

A double degree in maths/BSci or BEng(comp. systems)/BSci can open up a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as finance, data science, engineering, research, and technology. Graduates with a double degree are highly sought after by employers due to their diverse skill set and knowledge in multiple disciplines.