Double Induction: Proving Addition is Commutative

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Induction
In summary: In going from (1+m)+1 to 1+m+1, we also use the commutative property of natural numbers. We can rewrite the expression as (1+1+m) and then use the commutative property to switch the order of 1 and m, so it becomes (1+m+1). Then we can use associativity to rewrite it as 1+(m+1).
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

I am looking for an example of an application of the double induction.

For that I tried to show that the addition is commutative: For $m,n\in \mathbb{N}$ it holds that $m+n=n+m$. I have done the following:

For each $n\in \mathbb{N}$ let $E_n$ be the proposition: $\forall m\in \mathbb{N}: m+n=n+m$.

Base Case:
For $n = 1$ we want to show that $\forall m\in \mathbb{N}: m+1=1+m$

• Base Case: For $m=1$ the left side is equal to $1+1=2$ and the right side is the same.
  • Inductive Hypothesis: Let the proposition hold for a specific $m\in \mathbb{N}$, i.e. let$m+1=1+m$ (I.H.1)
  • Inductive Step: We want to show that the proposition holds also for $m+1$, so $(m+1)+1=1+(m+1)$.
    We have the following:
    \begin{equation*}(m+1)+1 \overset{\text{ (I.H.1) }}{ = } (1+m)+1=1+m+1=1+(m+1)\end{equation*}
    Therefore the proposition holds for $m + 1$.
Inductive Hypothesis:
We suppose that the proposition holds for a specific $n\in \mathbb{N}$, i.e. let $\forall m\in \mathbb{N}: m+n=n+m$ (I.H.2) Inductive Step:
We want to show that the proposition holds also for $n+1$, so $\forall m\in \mathbb{N}: m+(n+1)=(n+1)+m$.

• Base Case: For $m=1$ the left side is equal to $1+(n+1)=1+n+1=(1+n)+1\overset{\text{ (I.H.2) }}{ = }(n+1)+1=n+1+1=n+2$ and the right side is equal to $(n+1)+1=n+1+1=n+2$.
  • Inductive Hypothesis: We suppose that the proposition holds for a specific $m\in \mathbb{N}$, i.e. let $m+(n+1)=(n+1)+m$ (I.H.3)
  • Inductive Step: We want to show that the proposition holds also for $m+1$, so $(m+1)+(n+1)=(n+1)+(m+1)$.
    We have the following:
    \begin{align*}(m+1)+(n+1)&=m+1+n+1 \\ & =m+(1+n)+1 \\ & \overset{\text{ (I.B.2) }}{ = }m+(n+1)+1 \\ & =m+n+1+1 \\ & =m+(n+1)+1 \\ & \overset{\text{ (I.B.3) }}{ = }(n+1)+m+1 \\ & =(n+1)+(m+1)\end{align*}
Is the way I applied the inductions correct? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: Double Induction

mathmari said:
Hey! :eek:

I am looking for an example of an application of the double induction.

For that I tried to show that the addition is commutative: For $m,n\in \mathbb{N}$ it holds that $m+n=n+m$. I have done the following:

For each $n\in \mathbb{N}$ let $E_n$ be the proposition: $\forall m\in \mathbb{N}: m+n=n+m$.

Base Case:
For $n = 1$ we want to show that $\forall m\in \mathbb{N}: m+1=1+m$

• Base Case: For $m=1$ the left side is equal to $1+1=2$ and the right side is the same.
  • Inductive Hypothesis: Let the proposition hold for a specific $m\in \mathbb{N}$, i.e. let$m+1=1+m$ (I.H.1)
  • Inductive Step: We want to show that the proposition holds also for $m+1$, so $(m+1)+1=1+(m+1)$.
    We have the following:
    \begin{equation*}(m+1)+1 \overset{\text{ (I.H.1) }}{ = } (1+m)+1=1+m+1=1+(m+1)\end{equation*}
Inductive Hypothesis:
We suppose that the proposition holds for a specific $n\in \mathbb{N}$, i.e. let $\forall m\in \mathbb{N}: m+n=n+m$ (I.H.2) Inductive Step:
We want to show that the proposition holds also for $n+1$, so $\forall m\in \mathbb{N}: m+(n+1)=(n+1)+m$.

• Base Case: For $m=1$ the left side is equal to $1+(n+1)=1+n+1=(1+n)+1\overset{\text{ (I.H.2) }}{ = }(n+1)+1=n+1+1=n+2$ and the right side is equal to $(n+1)+1=n+1+1=n+2$.
  • Inductive Hypothesis: We suppose that the proposition holds for a specific $m\in \mathbb{N}$, i.e. let $m+(n+1)=(n+1)+m$ (I.H.3)
  • Inductive Step: We want to show that the proposition holds also for $m+1$, so $(m+1)+(n+1)=(n+1)+(m+1)$.
    We have the following:
    \begin{align*}(m+1)+(n+1)&=m+1+n+1 \\ & =m+(1+n)+1 \\ & \overset{\text{ (I.B.2) }}{ = }m+(n+1)+1 \\ & =m+n+1+1 \\ & =m+(n+1)+1 \\ & \overset{\text{ (I.B.3) }}{ = }(n+1)+m+1 \\ & =(n+1)+(m+1)\end{align*}
Is the way I applied the inductions correct? (Wondering)
In going from (1+m)+1 to 1+m+1 and then to 1+(m+1) what axioms or theorems of the natural Nos do you apply??

solakis said:
In going from (1+m)+1 to 1+m+1 and then to 1+(m+1) what axioms or theorems of the natural Nos do you apply??

We apply here the associative property. Can we not apply that property? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
We apply here the associative property. Can we not apply that property? (Wondering)

Yes that is the propery,only in going from (1+m)+1 to 1+(m+1)
The dropping of parenthesis is a combination of the associative and the commutative property of the natural Nos.

So,sofar you have proved :\(\displaystyle \forall m[m+1=1+m]\)

Now you want to prove : m+n=n+m for all n,m

Let us start by using induction on ,n while we keep m fixed

for n=1 we have m+1=1+m as proved previously.........1

Suppose now for n=k ,m+k=k+m is true..........2

If we can prove for n=k+1 , m+(k+1)=(k+1)+m is true ,we are done

Proof:

m+(k+1)=

=(m+k) +1=......by using the associative property of natural Nos

=(k+m)+1 =...............by using (2)

=k+(m+1)=.......by using the associative property and the law of equality: A=B<=>B=A

=k+(1+m)=...............by using (1)

= (k+1)+m.........by using the associative property e.t.c,e.t.c

You can repeat the whole thing by doing induction on m ,while keeping n constant

So, you mean that we apply the induction twice, once for $n$ when $m$ is fixed and once for $m$ when $n$ is fixed? So, is the way I applied the double induction wrong? (Wondering)
solakis said:

Do we maybe have to write $ (1+m)+1=1+(m+1)$ instead of $ (1+m)+1 = 1+m+1 = 1+(m+1)$, or can we not use that property at all? (Wondering)

Sorry for the delay i have problems with my computer, i will answer later

mathmari said:
So, you mean that we apply the induction twice, once for $n$ when $m$ is fixed and once for $m$ when $n$ is fixed? So, is the way I applied the double induction wrong?
(Wondering)

Let us follow your procedure.

You write:

"Inductive Hypothesis:
We suppose that the proposition holds for a specific $n\in \mathbb{N}$, i.e. let $\forall m\in \mathbb{N}: m+n=n+m$ (I.H.2)"

Don't you have to prove again :\(\displaystyle \forall m[m+n=m+m]\)

mathmari said:
Do we maybe have to write $ (1+m)+1=1+(m+1)$ instead of $ (1+m)+1 = 1+m+1 = 1+(m+1)$, or can we not use that property at all? (Wondering)

In going from (1+m)+1 to 1+(m+1) we do use associativity ,but in going from (1+m)+1 to 1+m+1 what do we use??

Last edited:

Related to Double Induction: Proving Addition is Commutative

1. How does double induction work?

Double induction is a proof technique used to show that a statement is true for all whole numbers. It involves two base cases and two inductive steps, making it a more powerful method than regular induction.

2. What is the purpose of using double induction to prove addition is commutative?

The purpose of using double induction in this case is to show that the property of commutativity holds true for all whole numbers, rather than just a specific case. This strengthens the proof and ensures that the statement is true for all possible scenarios.

3. Can other properties of addition be proven using double induction?

Yes, double induction can be used to prove other properties of addition such as associativity and the existence of an identity element. It can also be used to prove properties of other mathematical operations.

4. Is double induction the only way to prove addition is commutative?

No, there are other proof techniques that can be used to prove commutativity of addition. However, double induction is a commonly used method as it is straightforward and can easily be extended to other properties.

5. Can double induction be applied to other mathematical concepts?

Yes, double induction can be applied to any statement that involves all whole numbers. It is a general proof technique that can be used in various areas of mathematics, including number theory, algebra, and analysis.