Double integral absolute value.

In summary, the question asks for a double integral, which can be split into two parts and solved separately. The boundaries for the first part are x from 0 to 1 and y from x to -2x, while the boundaries for the second part are x from -1 to 0 and y from -x to 2x. It is important to correctly identify the upper and lower boundaries in each part.
Kuma

Homework Statement

I just need to know if what i did is correct. The question is as follows:

http://imgur.com/1RL7e

1RL7e.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did is as follows:

I split this integral into two parts and solved.

[integral from 0 to 1 [integral from x to -2x (e^(x+y)) dy] dx] +
[integral from -1 to 0 [integral from -x to 2x (e^(x+y)) dy] dx]

The way of thinking about it is that y goes from x to -2x when x goes from 0 to 1 and -x to 2x when x goes from -1 to 0.

Is that right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yep, the idea is good, just check which boundary is the upper and which is the lower one.
For example, if 0 < x < 1, then -2|x| = -2x < 0 and |x| = x > 0.

Related to Double integral absolute value.

What is a double integral absolute value?

A double integral absolute value is a mathematical concept used to find the total area under a 3-dimensional surface, taking into account both positive and negative values. It is denoted by the symbol ∫∫│f(x,y)│dA and is typically used in calculus and geometry.

How is a double integral absolute value calculated?

To calculate a double integral absolute value, the function must first be integrated with respect to both x and y. This results in a new function of x, which is then integrated with respect to y over the desired bounds. The resulting value is the double integral absolute value.

What is the purpose of using a double integral absolute value?

The purpose of using a double integral absolute value is to find the total area under a 3-dimensional surface, taking into account both positive and negative values. It is often used in physics, engineering, and economics to calculate volumes, surface areas, and probabilities.

What are the key properties of a double integral absolute value?

The key properties of a double integral absolute value include linearity, additivity, and symmetry. Linearity means that the integral of a sum of two functions is equal to the sum of their integrals. Additivity means that the integral of a function over the union of two regions is equal to the sum of its integrals over each region. Symmetry means that the integral of a function over a region is equal to the integral of the same function over a region with the axes swapped.

How is a double integral absolute value used in real-world applications?

A double integral absolute value is used in many real-world applications, such as calculating the volume of a 3-dimensional object, finding the center of mass of a solid, determining the probability of an event occurring, and analyzing the flow of fluids. It is also used in image processing and computer graphics to calculate the area of a 2-dimensional object in a 3-dimensional space.

Back