Double integral and polar cordinates other problem.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume, written in polar coordinates, inside a sphere with equation X^2+y^2+z^2=16 and outside a cylinder with equation x^2+y^2=4. The approach involves rewriting the sphere equation in terms of r and integrating using double integrals. The integrand is the function for the top half of the sphere, and the limits of integration are 2<r<4 and 0<theta<2pi. There is also a discussion about making the integration easier by using substitution and the derivative of the sphere equation.
christian0710
If we have to find the volume, written in polar cordinates, inside this sphere X2+y2+z2=16 and outside this cylinder x2+y2=4

How should I approach this?
Could I take the sphere function and reqrite in polar cordinates z=√(16-X2-y2) which is the same as z=√(16-r2)

But then I have to make r depend on a function of the cylinder right?

so x2+y2=4 ---> r2=4 so r=2 this must be the boundaries of the cylinder..

Now I get a bit confused. Do we subtract the sphere function from the cylinder function? Or do we make the cylinder function a function that r depends on?

Physics news on Phys.org
christian0710 said:
If we have to find the volume, written in polar cordinates, inside this sphere X2+y2+z2=16 and outside this cylinder x2+y2=4

How should I approach this?
Could I take the sphere function and reqrite in polar cordinates z=√(16-X2-y2) which is the same as z=√(16-r2)

But then I have to make r depend on a function of the cylinder right?

so x2+y2=4 ---> r2=4 so r=2 this must be the boundaries of the cylinder..

Now I get a bit confused. Do we subtract the sphere function from the cylinder function? Or do we make the cylinder function a function that r depends on?
What does r have to be to be outside the cylinder?

Hmm then this would make sense 2<r<4 because the cylinder has a radius of 2, so i guess the theta would go from 0 to 2pi ?

christian0710 said:
Hmm then this would make sense 2<r<4 because the cylinder has a radius of 2, so i guess the theta would go from 0 to 2pi ?
Yes.

What is the function you integrate, i.e., what is your integrand?

The function we want to integrate must be the sphere, right?
X^2+y^2+z^2=16 so if we isolate z we must get z=√(16-X^2-y^2) and written in polar form
z=√(16-r^2) So this is the function we integrate?

christian0710 said:
The function we want to integrate must be the sphere, right?
X^2+y^2+z^2=16 so if we isolate z we must get z=√(16-X^2-y^2) and written in polar form
z=√(16-r^2) So this is the function we integrate?
That's the equation for the top half of the sphere, the half for which z is positive.

I see, so if 2<r<4 and 0< theta< 2pi
Hmm so we could add two double integrals? one of the lower, and one of the upper sphere?

christian0710 said:
I see, so if 2<r<4 and 0< theta< 2pi
Hmm so we could add two double integrals? one of the lower, and one of the upper sphere?
... or multiply the first integral by 2, because of the symmetry involved.

Do you know what dxdy , the element of area, is in polar coordinates?

yes that's a smart solution :) The polar form of dxdy must be r*dr*dθ Right?

I assume it means the rectangles delta r times delta θ multiplied by the length r (a bit hard for me to visualize)

So 2*∫(∫((√(16-r^2) )*r,r,2,4),θ,0,2∏) This must be the solution? :)

2*∫∫(√(16-r^2) )*r*dr*dθ; where r goes from 2 to 4, θ goes from 0 to 2π .

In my opinion, you should always include the differentials when writing an integral.

Ahh yes a good idea. Thank you very much for your help :)

Hmm but is there an easier way? Because (√16-r2)r is not that easy to do by hand, and id love to be able to do this by hand :)

christian0710 said:
Hmm but is there an easier way? Because (√16-r2)r is not that easy to do by hand, and id love to be able to do this by hand :)
[STRIKE]Multiply through by r .[/STRIKE]

Added in Edit:

Putting the parentheses in the correct place gives
( √(16-r2) )r​

Do integration by substitution.

What is the derivative of 16-r2 ?

Last edited:

Related to Double integral and polar cordinates other problem.

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical concept that involves computing the area under a two-dimensional surface or within a three-dimensional space. It is represented by a double integral symbol (∫∫) and is commonly used in calculus, physics, and engineering.

2. How is a double integral different from a single integral?

A single integral computes the area under a one-dimensional curve, while a double integral calculates the volume under a two-dimensional surface. This means that a double integral requires two variables to be integrated, while a single integral only requires one.

3. What are polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a way of representing points in a two-dimensional plane using a radius (r) and an angle (θ) instead of x and y coordinates. The radius represents the distance from the origin, and the angle represents the direction from the positive x-axis.

4. How are polar coordinates used in double integrals?

In double integrals, polar coordinates are often used to simplify the integrand and make the integration process easier. This is especially useful when dealing with circular or symmetric regions, as polar coordinates can eliminate the need for complicated algebraic expressions.

5. What are some common problems involving double integrals and polar coordinates?

Some common problems involving double integrals and polar coordinates include finding the volume of a solid with a circular base or cross-section, calculating the area of a region bounded by polar curves, and solving for the center of mass of a two-dimensional object with varying density.