Double integral and reversing order

In summary, a double integral is a type of integral in calculus used to evaluate a function of two variables over a two-dimensional region and represents the signed volume under a surface in three-dimensional space. Reversing the order of integration means switching the order in which the variables are integrated. Double integrals are commonly used to calculate the volume of a solid or the area of a two-dimensional region, as well as solve problems related to mass, center of mass, and moment of inertia. The main difference between a single integral and a double integral is that a single integral represents the area under a curve while a double integral represents the volume under a surface. To evaluate a double integral, the limits of integration for both variables must be determined and various methods
Nope

Homework Statement

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/3390/55486934.jpg

Homework Equations

This is what I was thinking: tan−1(∏x)−tan−1(x)=∫[itex]^{g(x)}_{f(x)}[/itex]h(y)dy

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really understand how to do this question

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Big hint. You can write the numerator as
[tex]\int_x^{\pi x} \frac{1}{1+t^2} dt[/tex]
Now follow the rest of the problem suggestion.

Thanks for the hint!

Related to Double integral and reversing order

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of integral in calculus that involves evaluating a function of two variables over a two-dimensional region. It represents the signed volume under a surface in three-dimensional space.

2. What does it mean to reverse the order of integration?

Reversing the order of integration in a double integral means switching the order in which the variables are integrated. For example, if the original integral is ∫∫f(x,y)dxdy, reversing the order of integration would result in ∫∫f(x,y)dydx.

3. When should I use double integrals?

Double integrals are commonly used to calculate the volume of a solid in three dimensions or to find the area of a two-dimensional region. They can also be used to solve problems related to mass, center of mass, and moment of inertia.

4. What is the difference between a single integral and a double integral?

A single integral involves integrating a function of one variable over a one-dimensional interval, while a double integral involves integrating a function of two variables over a two-dimensional region. In other words, a single integral represents the area under a curve, while a double integral represents the volume under a surface.

5. How do I evaluate a double integral?

To evaluate a double integral, you first need to determine the limits of integration for both variables. Then, you can use various methods such as Fubini's theorem, iterated integrals, or change of variables to solve the integral. It may also be helpful to sketch the region of integration to better understand the problem.

Back