Double integral bounds after polar transformation

In summary, the conversation discusses converting a double integral into polar coordinates, with the bounds being 0 to infinity for r and 0 to pi/2 for theta. The individual integrals are then evaluated separately in order to prove a mathematical relationship.
Cistra

Homework Statement

Basically I'm just trying to convert a double integral into polar coordinates, but when I do it I get confused with my bounds.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]4\int_0^{\infty}\int_0^{\infty}e^{-(u^2+v^2)}u^{2x-1}v^{2y-1}dudv[/tex]

(x and y are just numbers, not variables). Then I transform the integral given polar coordinates [tex]u=r\cos\theta, v=r\sin\theta[/tex] and I get

[tex]4\int_a^b\int_c^d e^{-r^2}(r\cos\theta)^{2x-1}(r\sin\theta)^{2y-1}rdrd\theta=4\int_a^b\int_c^d e^{-r^2}r^{2(x+y)-1}\cos^{2x-1}\theta\sin^{2y-1}\theta drd\theta[/tex].

I know that [tex]a=0,b=\infty,c=0,d=\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] so that the integral bounds are [tex]\int_0^{\infty}\int_0^{\pi/2}f(r,\theta)rdrd\theta[/tex], but I can't seem to understand the reasoning behind the bounds. Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In the uv-plane, the integral is over the first quadrant. Graph this region and describe it in terms of polar coordinates:

Since the region extends infinitely, the radius r goes from 0 to infinity. Since the angle [tex]\theta[/tex] is 0 on the positive u-axis and [tex]\pi/2[/tex] on the positive v-axis, [tex]\theta[/tex] goes from 0 to [tex]\pi/2[/tex].

So your bounds don't match up with their respective variables.

Cistra said:

Homework Statement

Basically I'm just trying to convert a double integral into polar coordinates, but when I do it I get confused with my bounds.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]4\int_0^{\infty}\int_0^{\infty}e^{-(u^2+v^2)}u^{2x-1}v^{2y-1}dudv[/tex]

(x and y are just numbers, not variables).
Then I transform the integral given polar coordinates [tex]u=r\cos\theta, v=r\sin\theta[/tex] and I get

[tex]4\int_a^b\int_c^d e^{-r^2}(r\cos\theta)^{2x-1}(r\sin\theta)^{2y-1}rdrd\theta=4\int_a^b\int_c^d e^{-r^2}r^{2(x+y)-1}\cos^{2x-1}\theta\sin^{2y-1}\theta drd\theta[/tex].
Cistra said:
I know that [tex]a=0,b=\infty,c=0,d=\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] so that the integral bounds are [tex]\int_0^{\infty}\int_0^{\pi/2}f(r,\theta)drd\theta[/tex], but I can't seem to understand the reasoning behind the bounds. Thanks for your help!
Here's why you have the bounds you show.
The region of integration for the iterated integral in rectangular coordinates was the first quadrant, 0 <= x <= infinity, 0 <= y <= infinity.
The region of integration won't change in switching to polar form, but its description usually does. Your first integration is with respect to r, so you want r to range from 0 to infinity. Your second integration is with respect to theta, so you want theta to range from 0 to pi/2. Your limits of integration are switched.

Hrm, okay thank you. Are you saying that it's supposed to be [tex]\int_0^{\pi/2}\int_0^{\infty}f(r,\theta)rdrd\theta[/tex] rather than what I've put? Because I'm splitting this up into the product of integrals rather than evaluating the double integral for itself, so I get

[tex]\int_0^{\infty}e^{-r^2}r^{2(x+y)-1}dr\cdot\int_0^{\pi/2}\cos^{2x-1}\theta\sin^{2y-1}\theta d\theta[/tex] in order to prove that [tex]\Gamma(x)\Gamma(y)=\Gamma(x+y)B(x,y)[/tex].

Cistra said:
Hrm, okay thank you. Are you saying that it's supposed to be [tex]\int_0^{\pi/2}\int_0^{\infty}f(r,\theta)rdrd\theta[/tex] rather than what I've put?
Yes, because that's from the order in dr dtheta.
If you want to integrate in the reverse order, I think that will work, too, because of the uncoupled nature of your f(r, theta), which can be written as g(r) * h(theta). That will, of course, switch the limits of integration.
Cistra said:
Because I'm splitting this up into the product of integrals rather than evaluating the double integral for itself, so I get

[tex]\int_0^{\infty}e^{-r^2}r^{2(x+y)-1}dr\cdot\int_0^{\pi/2}\cos^{2x-1}\theta\sin^{2y-1}\theta d\theta[/tex] in order to prove that [tex]\Gamma(x)\Gamma(y)=\Gamma(x+y)B(x,y)[/tex].

FAQ: Double integral bounds after polar transformation

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of integral in calculus that involves integrating a two-dimensional function over a specific region or area in the Cartesian plane. It is denoted by ∫∫ f(x,y) dA, where f(x,y) is the function being integrated and dA represents the area element.

2. Why do we need to use polar coordinates for double integrals?

Polar coordinates are used in double integrals because they simplify the integration process for certain types of functions that have circular or symmetric properties. They also allow us to integrate over non-rectangular regions more easily, as the boundaries can be described using simple equations in polar form.

3. How do you convert bounds in Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates?

To convert bounds in Cartesian coordinates (x,y) to polar coordinates (r,θ), we use the following equations:

x = rcos(θ) and y = rsin(θ)

The bounds for r and θ will depend on the shape of the region being integrated over, and can be determined by graphing the region or using geometric properties.

4. What are the steps for evaluating a double integral after a polar transformation?

The steps for evaluating a double integral after a polar transformation are:

1. Determine the new bounds for r and θ using the equations x = rcos(θ) and y = rsin(θ).

2. Rewrite the function f(x,y) in terms of r and θ.

3. Evaluate the integral by integrating with respect to r first, then θ.

4. Substitute the original bounds in Cartesian coordinates back into the result to find the final answer.

5. What are some common applications of double integrals in polar coordinates?

Double integrals in polar coordinates have many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. Some common examples include calculating the area of a region bounded by polar curves, finding the volume of a three-dimensional shape with rotational symmetry, and calculating the mass or center of mass of an object with varying density.