Double Integral: Calculating Limits & Value

In summary, the given problem requires calculating a double integral with the limits determined by the inequality D=x^2+y^2≤2x, which represents the interior of a circle centered at (1,0) with a radius of 1. The limits can be expressed as either x going from 0 to 2 with y as a function of x, or y going from -1 to 0 with x as a function of y.
Tayyabah

Homework Statement

I have to calculate the double integral given below.

Homework Equations

D√(x2 +y2) dxdy,D=x2+y2≤2x

The Attempt at a Solution

How can i calculate the limits from the give inequality to calculate the value of the given double integral?

Waiting for a kind response.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Tayyabah! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(I see you've discovered how to start a thread! :wink:)
Tayyabah said:
D√(x2 +y2) dxdy,D=x2+y2≤2x

How can i calculate the limits from the give inequality to calculate the value of the given double integral?

first, describe (in words) the shape of D

(that should help you with the limits … alternatively, you may find that a change of coordinates would make it easier :wink:)

Thanks a bunch for prompt response.

If a modify the inequality representing D, it gets the following form

(x-1)2+y2≤ 1

Which means (If i am not wrong) D is representing the interior of a circle centered at (1,0) and having radius equal to 1.

Tayyabah said:
(x-1)2+y2≤ 1

Which means (If i am not wrong) D is representing the interior of a circle centered at (1,0) and having radius equal to 1.

That's right! :smile:

ok, now either have limits of x going from 0 to 2, and y as a function of x,

or y going from -1 to 0, and x as a function of y …

what do you get? :smile:

Related to Double Integral: Calculating Limits & Value

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of mathematical operation that calculates the area under a surface in two dimensions. It is represented by the symbol ∫∫f(x,y) dxdy and is commonly used in calculus and physics.

2. How do you calculate the limits of a double integral?

To calculate the limits of a double integral, you must first determine the boundaries of the region over which the integral is being evaluated. Then, you can use the limits of integration for each variable to set up the integral and solve for the desired value.

3. What is the difference between a definite and indefinite double integral?

A definite double integral has specific limits of integration and will yield a numerical value, while an indefinite double integral has no specified limits and will result in a function of one or more variables.

4. How do you determine the value of a double integral?

To determine the value of a double integral, you must first evaluate the integral using the limits of integration and the appropriate integration method, such as the Riemann sum or substitution. This will result in a numerical value that represents the area under the given surface.

5. What are some real-world applications of double integrals?

Double integrals have many real-world applications, such as calculating the volume of a solid in physics, finding the center of mass of an object, and determining the probability of events in statistics. They are also used in economics, engineering, and other fields to model and analyze various systems and processes.