Double integral e^(ysqrtx)dxdy

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of u substitution and changing the order of integration for the double integral of e^(y√x) over the given limits. It is agreed that the order of integration can be switched and the integral can be solved using the given methods.
Digitalism

Homework Statement

∫∫e^(y√x)dxdy from 1 to 4 then from 0 to 2

Homework Equations

∫ e^x = e^x
u substitution

The Attempt at a Solution

I am just curious if this is equal to double integral e^(y\sqrt{x})dydx from 0 to 2 then from 1 to 4. In other words can I change the order of integration without screwing up my function? If so I can solve it. If not I have tried U substitution:

u = y√x
du = y/2√x} dx

which changes my equation to double integral (2√x/y)e^(u)dudy from 1 to 4 then from 0 to 2 which is equal to (2u/y^2)e^(u)dudy from 1 to 4 then from 0 to 2 but I don't see how integrating that will give me 2e^u(u-1)/y^2 which was wolfram alpha's indefinite integration for e^y\sqrt{x}. help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Digitalism said:

Homework Statement

∫∫e^(y√x)dxdy from 1 to 4 then from 0 to 2

Homework Equations

∫ e^x = e^x
u substitution

The Attempt at a Solution

I am just curious if this is equal to double integral e^(y\sqrt{x})dydx from 0 to 2 then from 1 to 4. In other words can I change the order of integration without screwing up my function? If so I can solve it. If not I have tried U substitution:

u = y√x
du = y/2√x} dx

which changes my equation to double integral (2√x/y)e^(u)dudy from 1 to 4 then from 0 to 2 which is equal to (2u/y^2)e^(u)dudy from 1 to 4 then from 0 to 2 but I don't see how integrating that will give me 2e^u(u-1)/y^2 which was wolfram alpha's indefinite integration for e^y\sqrt{x}. help?
Assuming you integral is :
[itex]\displaystyle \int_0^2\int_1^4 {e^{y\sqrt{x}}}\,dx\,dy[/itex]​
It should be fine to switch the order of integration.

If you're trying to do the integration in the given order, then remember you need to treat y as a constant as you integrate with respect to x. Remember then to evaluate that as a definite integral over x.

thanks! that's what I thought, so now I can solve it

Related to Double integral e^(ysqrtx)dxdy

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of mathematical operation that involves finding the area under a surface or volume between two given boundaries in a two-dimensional or three-dimensional space.

2. What is the function e^(ysqrtx)?

The function e^(ysqrtx) is an exponential function that involves two variables, x and y. The variable x is the base of the exponential while the variable y is the exponent. The function is commonly used in mathematical and scientific calculations.

3. How do you solve a double integral with e^(ysqrtx)?

To solve a double integral with e^(ysqrtx), you would first evaluate the inner integral with respect to x, then evaluate the resulting function with respect to y. This process is known as iterated integration and involves using the integration rules and techniques such as substitution and integration by parts.

4. What is the significance of using e^(ysqrtx) in a double integral?

The function e^(ysqrtx) has many applications in mathematics and science, particularly in the fields of calculus, differential equations, and probability. It is commonly used to model growth, decay, and change over time in various natural and physical phenomena.

5. Can e^(ysqrtx) be used in real-world applications?

Yes, e^(ysqrtx) can be used in various real-world applications, such as in engineering, physics, and economics, to model and solve problems involving growth, decay, and change over time. It is also used in statistical analysis and probability to calculate the likelihood of events occurring.

Back