Double Integral: Evaluate ∫∫(x^2 + y^2)dx dy in R

• Thread starter mathsdespair
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation discusses the evaluation of a double integral of (x^2 + y^2) over a given region. The limits for the first leg are correctly identified as x: 0→1 and y: 0→x, but there is confusion regarding the limits for the second leg, with multiple suggestions made. It is suggested to try both methods of integration (y-integration and x-integration) and choose the one that is easier. The conversation ends with clarifying the boundaries for the right-hand region.
mathsdespair
Evaluate ∫∫(x^2 + y^2)dx dy over the region enclosed within
R

(0,0), (2,0) and (1,1).
I am not asking someone to do the problem but to just verify, have I got the limits right?

I split it up into 2 legs
for the first leg integrate from , x: 0→1 and y :0→x
for the second leg integrate from x:1→2 and y:1→-x
then add them up.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
First one looks good, I don't like the second one. Write the equation of the lin that goes from 1,1 to 2,0.

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
First one looks good, I don't like the second one. Write the equation of the lin that goes from 1,1 to 2,0.

ok, it is y=-x+2

Last edited:
so for the second leg is it x goes from 1 to 2 and y goes from 1 to -x+2?

mathsdespair said:
so for the second leg is it x goes from 1 to 2 and y goes from 1 to -x+2?
No. The x values go from 1 to 2, as you said, but what do the y values do in the right-most triangle? Have you drawn a sketch of the region over which integration is taking place?

mathsdespair said:
Evaluate ∫∫(x^2 + y^2)dx dy over the region enclosed within
R

(0,0), (2,0) and (1,1).
I am not asking someone to do the problem but to just verify, have I got the limits right?

I split it up into 2 legs
for the first leg integrate from , x: 0→1 and y :0→x
for the second leg integrate from x:1→2 and y:1→-x
then add them up.
Thanks

You are doing the y-integration first; that is, for each fixed x you first integrate over y. The alternative is to do the x-integration first; that is, for each fixed y, first integrate over x. You might find this easier.

Ray Vickson said:
You are doing the y-integration first; that is, for each fixed x you first integrate over y. The alternative is to do the x-integration first; that is, for each fixed y, first integrate over x. You might find this easier.

Why?
A)you solve for y in terms of x,
B)you solve for x in terms of y,

Seems pretty tomato tomatoe to me.

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
Why?

The best way to know why is to try it for yourself.

Mark44 said:
No. The x values go from 1 to 2, as you said, but what do the y values do in the right-most triangle? Have you drawn a sketch of the region over which integration is taking place?

so for the first leg
x:0 to 1
y: 0 to x

2nd leg
x:1 to 2
y:1 to -x+2
is that right?

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
Why?

Because you could do it in a single integration rather than needing to break it up into two integrals.

HallsofIvy said:
Because you could do it in a single integration rather than needing to break it up into two integrals.

is my method right for doing it into steps please?

mathsdespair said:
is my method right for doing it into steps please?
No. The method may be right, but your implementation of the method for doing it in steps is wrong.

What is the upper boundary of the right hand region? (the one from x=1 to x=2)

What is the lower boundary of the right hand region?

Related to Double Integral: Evaluate ∫∫(x^2 + y^2)dx dy in R

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus to find the volume under a three-dimensional surface. It is a type of integral that involves integrating a function of two variables over a region in a plane.

2. How is a double integral evaluated?

To evaluate a double integral, the region of integration is first determined, and then the function is integrated with respect to one variable at a time. This results in a single integral, which can be evaluated using standard integration techniques.

3. What is the meaning of the notation ∫∫(x^2 + y^2)dx dy?

The notation ∫∫(x^2 + y^2)dx dy represents a double integral, where the function x^2 + y^2 is being integrated over the region R. The first integral, with respect to x, is evaluated first, and then the result is integrated with respect to y.

4. What is the region R in the double integral ∫∫(x^2 + y^2)dx dy?

The region R in a double integral is the area in the x-y plane over which the function is being integrated. In this case, it would be the entire x-y plane, as the integral is being evaluated in R.

5. Can a double integral be used to find other quantities besides volume?

Yes, a double integral can also be used to find other quantities such as surface area, mass, and center of mass. The function being integrated will depend on the quantity being calculated.