Double Integral Evaluation Using Polar Coordinates

In summary, the student attempted to solve a homework equation using polar coordinates but wasn't able to simplify the exponent. They tried rectilinear coordinates, but there wasn't an identity that simplified the exponent. They then tried a different equation and got the answer of pi.
Chiborino

Homework Statement

Evaluate over the x,y plane:
∫∫[itex]e^{-\sqrt{x^{2}+4y^{2}}}[/itex]dxdy
And I know the answer SHOULD be [itex]\pi[/itex]

Homework Equations

Polar-->rectangular identities maybe?
x--> rcos, y--> rsinθ, dxdy--> rdrdθ

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using polar coordinates, but it doesn't simplify to something nice. When I did I got:
∫∫[itex]r*e^{-r*\sqrt{cosθ^{2}+4sinθ^{2}}}[/itex]drdθ
But there isn't an identity that simplifies the exponent into something easier to handle

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Chiborino said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate over the x,y plane:
∫∫[itex]e^{-r*\sqrt{x^{2}+4y^{2}}}[/itex]dxdy
And I know the answer SHOULD be [itex]\pi[/itex]

Homework Equations

Polar-->rectangular identities maybe?
x--> rcos, y--> rsinθ, dxdy--> rdrdθ

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using polar coordinates, but it doesn't simplify to something nice. When I did I got:
∫∫[itex]r*e^{-r*\sqrt{cosθ^{2}+4sinθ^{2}}}[/itex]drdθ
But there isn't an that simplifies the exponent into something easier to handle

[itex]\displaystyle\sqrt{x^{2}+4y^{2}}=r\sqrt{\cos^{2}( \theta)+4sin^{2}(\theta)}[/itex]

So that last integral should be [itex]\displaystyle\int\int r\, e^{r^2\sqrt{\cos^{2}( \theta)+4sin^{2}(\theta)}}dr\,d\theta[/itex]

Since the original integral is in xy coordinates, is that "r" a variable or a constant? Is r just short for [itex]\sqrt{x^2+ y^2}[/itex]?

HallsofIvy said:
Since the original integral is in xy coordinates, is that "r" a variable or a constant? Is r just short for [itex]\sqrt{x^2+ y^2}[/itex]?

The r I put inthe original shouldn't be there, my apologies.

Chiborino;3602540I tried using polar coordinates said:
r*e^{-r*\sqrt{cosθ^{2}+4sinθ^{2}}}[/itex]drdθ
But there isn't an identity that simplifies the exponent into something easier to handle

What's with this something nice and easy to handle thing? That don't happen in the real world. Try and learn to muscle through things. Suppose I just write it as:

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi}\left(\int_0^{\infty}re^{-ar}dr\right)d\theta,\quad a>0[/tex]

Can you do that part in parenthesis? Alright, then switch to:

[tex]a=\sqrt{\cos^2(t)+4\sin^2(t)}[/tex]

and muscle through that one. We can get rid of one of them right?

[tex]\cos^2(t)+4\sin^2(t)=1+3\sin^2(t)[/tex]

Then what about reducing it further with other trig identities?

Last edited:
jackmell said:
What's with this something nice and easy to handle thing? That don't happen in the real world. Try and learn to muscle through things. Suppose I just write it as:

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi}\left(\int_0^{\infty}re^{-ar}dr\right)d\theta,\quad a>0[/tex]

Can you do that part in parenthesis? Alright, then switch to:

[tex]a=\sqrt{\cos^2(t)+4\sin^2(t)}[/tex]

and muscle through that one. We can get rid of one of them right?

[tex]\cos^2(t)+4\sin^2(t)=1+3\sin^2(t)[/tex]

Then what about reducing it further with other trig identities?

I ultimately wound up getting [itex]\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{1}{5-3cos(2\theta}d\theta[/itex]

Upon evaluating the integral I got [itex]\frac{1}{2}arctan(2tan(\theta))[/itex], evaluated between 0 and 2[itex]\pi[/itex], which is 0. But after splitting the boundaries at [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{3\pi}{2}[/itex], I got simply [itex]\pi[/itex] for an answer.

Thank you for the help.

Related to Double Integral Evaluation Using Polar Coordinates

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of mathematical operation that involves integrating a two-dimensional function over a specific region in a plane. It is used to calculate the area under a surface or to find the volume of a solid in three-dimensional space.

2. How do you evaluate a double integral?

To evaluate a double integral, you first need to determine the limits of integration for both variables. Then, you can use various integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions to solve the integral. Finally, you can use the limits of integration to calculate the numerical value of the integral.

3. What is the difference between a single and a double integral?

A single integral involves integrating a function over a one-dimensional interval, while a double integral involves integrating a function over a two-dimensional region. Essentially, a single integral finds the area under a curve, while a double integral finds the volume under a surface.

4. When is it necessary to use a double integral?

A double integral is necessary when dealing with functions of two variables or when calculating the volume of a three-dimensional object. It is also useful for finding the average value of a function over a two-dimensional region or for solving problems involving density and mass.

5. What are some real-life applications of double integrals?

Double integrals are used in many areas of science and engineering, including physics, economics, and computer graphics. They are used to calculate the center of mass of an object, fluid flow rates, electric fields, and surface areas. In computer graphics, double integrals are used to render three-dimensional images and animations.